Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 12:29 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times

Advertisements

Okay, this is going to sound stupid I know but is the patdown instead of the body scan or as well as? I'm getting confused here. Also, do my shoes get a patdown; does someone pick them up and shake them? Are they still being x-rayed? Are they planning to pat down pregnant women because presumably they won't go thro scanner cause of the radiation? What about a person in a wheelchair - is someone going to check a colostomy bag for explosives? If you're a woman and have religious objections can you request a private patdown from another woman? I'm really curious as to how all this works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 12:39 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Enjoy being late and making other people late for Turkey Day! Idiots.
I won't walk through an xray machine that the government tells us is safe but won't release any data on.

I do not trust TSA employees with knowing how to operate and calibrate an xray machine so it emits the proper amount of radiation, every time.

I find it awfully coincidental that Michael Chertoff, former head of the Dept. of Homeland Security, is the founder of the Chertoff Group, a security consulting (lobbying) firm whose clients include manufacturers of these body scanners.

If all of the above makes me an idiot, so be it. The TSA has become a bloated, unwieldy federal agency that conducts security in a reactive, rather than proactive, manner. This “security theater” I submit to does not keep any of us safe in the skies.

If anyone believes that they are safe from terrorists on a plane because of these measures, they are insane. Just remember, you will be boarding a plane where the cargo, still to this day, goes unscreened.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:44 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Okay, this is going to sound stupid I know but is the patdown instead of the body scan or as well as? I'm getting confused here. Also, do my shoes get a patdown; does someone pick them up and shake them? Are they still being x-rayed? Are they planning to pat down pregnant women because presumably they won't go thro scanner cause of the radiation? What about a person in a wheelchair - is someone going to check a colostomy bag for explosives? If you're a woman and have religious objections can you request a private patdown from another woman? I'm really curious as to how all this works.
The TSA won't release procedure details, surprise, surprise. But from what I have seen and experienced:

You walk up to the scanner and either opt out and get the pat down or go through the scanner. Once scanned, if they find an anomaly in the scanned image, you'll get the pat down anyway. The equivalent of winning the TSA lottery!

Your shoes go on the xray conveyor belt along with your carry on bag, Ziploc of liquids, laptop, etc.

Pregnant woman are not exempt from pat downs. Neither are people in wheelchairs or any certain religious group. They will always provide you with a same sex TSA screener; a woman will not be patted down by a man. They will also give you the option to be patted down in public or go to a private area.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:07 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Here's how it works. If they tell you to get into the scanner and you say no, you will have a patdown. However, in most airports, not every lane is equipped with scanners so you only go through the typical metal detector. But, if you are suspicious looking (read:from the Middle East, as my Egyptian husband is finding out), you will be pulled aside and patted down anyway. Regardless of which line we are in, my husband gets told to go to the scanner line 100% of the time and he refuses every single time.

Pregnant women are not exempt from the scanner and will be patted down if they refuse. There are no religious exemptions allowed, either. You can request a private patdown in a separate area, but honestly, I want witnesses. If they grope you like that in public imagine what it's like in a private room!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Enjoy being late and making other people late for Turkey Day! Idiots.
Yea, I'm not American and Thanksgiving has little significance to me. That's why we are leaving the country next Wednesday, so that we don't have to deal with store/restaurant closings. I have all the time in the world to get to my destination.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:34 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
So I'm at the airport right now, waiting for my flight. Last time I was in this terminal, they had a scanner. It's now gone. They barely looked at my ID, when I was going through x-ray the guy was talking to someone and didn't even look at me, and my liquids remained in my luggage. Feel safer yet?

Old 11-17-2010, 02:39 PM

318 posts, read 869,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak802 View Post
so i'm at the airport right now, waiting for my flight. Last time i was in this terminal, they had a scanner. It's now gone. They barely looked at my id, when i was going through x-ray the guy was talking to someone and didn't even look at me, and my liquids remained in my luggage. Feel safer yet?
:dlol

Old 11-17-2010, 05:45 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
This opt-out thing cracks me up, it is like right before the primaries when so many Ron Paul supporters thought they would make a huge difference because they were the loudest on the internet.

You honestly think that people flying across country to make it to Thanksgiving dinner with relatives, or businessmen flying home from work to be with their families, are going to risk not making their flight and being stuck in an airport in the name of making a statement about scannners? Yeah right.

This will be a whole lot of nothing.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:00 PM

318 posts, read 869,997 times
Ron Paul Introduces HR 6416: The American Traveler Dignity Act | Ron Paul 2012 | Campaign for Liberty at the Daily Paul (http://dailypaul.com/node/149693 - broken link)

Old 11-17-2010, 08:12 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Rock on Ron Paul!

From HR 6416:

"My legislation is simple. It establishes that airport security screeners are not immune from any US law regarding physical contact with another person, making images of another person, or causing physical harm through the use of radiation-emitting machinery on another person. It means they are subject to the same laws as the rest of us."

Old 11-17-2010, 08:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
But then Congressman Paul goes on to his highly predictable mantra. Let the private sector, the nannies in his nanny state, assume the responsibility for public safety.

"The solution is to allow the private sector, preferably the airlines themselves, to provide for the security of their property."

Like BP and Toyota and the Love Canal people did. Ron Paul (my congressman, by the way) childishly believes that the shareholders and the CEOs of the big airlines are going to say "to hell with profits, let's put safety first."

Everybody knows that, in the auto industry, for example, a car company decides whether to recall or not, depending on which will cost more: A recall, or potential liability litigation. Similarly, an airline will decide which is better for the bottom line: Rigid security inspections, or their capital risk in the event of an incident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel