Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2010, 03:35 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
And create massive flight delays and cause people to miss connecting flights and not make their destination. Also the bad guys reading this may realize it is a great day to try to sneak through with all the chaos and bring a few planes down on such a major American day. Great idea! I just had a body scan and had to a waste band check and it was no big thing an I was glad to do it and wished everyone did. Would make me feel a lot safer.
From what I hear, not everyone is subjected to these searches ... Modest Muslim women, pilots, food and shop employees, etc ... Cargo is not always searched either so just how safe do you feel now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 05:25 PM

492 posts, read 1,397,777 times
Default Plane is GOING to leave ON TIME...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
As it turns out, we are actually flying on the 24th (as well as 17th), and plan on opting out. I believe it's the busiest travel day and if most people opt out, it will make the TSA's job a living hell that day.

National Opt-Out Day Called Against Invasive Body Scanners | Threat Level | Wired.com
Remember, if you are not at the gate 30min or so before take-off the plane will leave without you! Good luck on getting you money back on the ticket....

Old 11-21-2010, 05:31 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcole07 View Post
Remember, if you are not at the gate 30min or so before take-off the plane will leave without you! Good luck on getting you money back on the ticket....
Bull crap. I've entered planes mintes before takeoff. My last flight to NYC, I was in the security lane and the plane was leaving in 20 minutes. I got there with 5 minutes to spare, was the last to board, and got on with no issues.

We were sitting at the airport in Vegas yesterday, and they boarded a flight to Oakland. Flight was set to leave at 7:35, and at 7:29 4 people came running up. They let them on.

My husband travels for work every single week, and always has a connecting flight that's 30 minutes or less. He's been the last one to board more than once and never had a problem. You must not be a frequent flier.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:11 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
From what I hear, not everyone is subjected to these searches ... Modest Muslim women
Well, you heard wrong. That is how these type of overhype paranoid fears go, you get half truth and half fiction.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
My husband travels for work every single week, and always has a connecting flight that's 30 minutes or less. He's been the last one to board more than once and never had a problem. You must not be a frequent flier.
Your husband always has a connecting flight of less than 30 minutes?

No offense, but either this is complete bull**** or your husband is extremely lucky. I fly for business all the time and the shortest connecting flight I've ever had was 37 minutes, and even that stood out as I thought it absurdly short. I have missed connections under one hour plenty of times.

What airline does he fly on? Many airlines publish minimum connection times they'll book, by airport. I'd love to know which airline allows less than 30 minutes.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:28 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
As it turns out, we are actually flying on the 24th (as well as 17th), and plan on opting out. I believe it's the busiest travel day and if most people opt out, it will make the TSA's job a living hell that day.

National Opt-Out Day Called Against Invasive Body Scanners | Threat Level | Wired.com
I wonder if this will as effective as "Boycott Exxon" day.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Your husband always has a connecting flight of less than 30 minutes?

No offense, but either this is complete bull**** or your husband is extremely lucky. I fly for business all the time and the shortest connecting flight I've ever had was 37 minutes, and even that stood out as I thought it absurdly short. I have missed connections under one hour plenty of times.

What airline does he fly on? Many airlines publish minimum connection times they'll book, by airport. I'd love to know which airline allows less than 30 minutes.
He flies the same route every single week, with a connection. There are no direct flights from San Diego to his final destination. The connecting airport is very small and he's never had an issue, esp. since flights from San Diego are almost never delayed (we've never experienced it) so while it's supposed to be 34 minutes, it turns into more like 45-50 since they land early. He does this same route week after week and always has a 34 minute connection (which like I said, ends up being slightly longer due to arriving early).

Our last trip together, the connection was 42 minutes and this Wednesday, we are flying through LAX with a 36 minute connection.

Edited to add: He flies delta through SLC. From Delta's site: 25 minutes is the minimum connection time in SLC for most online DL flights. It's also an easy walk, no shuttle required, making it very easy to catch connections.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:53 PM

Kinda funny the view that it will make the TSA's job a living hell. They get paid to do the job with each passenger regardless of how long the line gets, it isn't like they'll be lifting twice as much or have a bonus based on how many passengers get thru. The airlines aren't responsible for refunding tickets for passengers who didn't arrive at their gate in time to fly.

The people it would affect are the passengers opting out, they will just stand in line longer.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
He does this same route week after week and always has a 34 minute connection (which like I said, ends up being slightly longer due to arriving early).
That is perfectly understandable, as San Diego (like Phoenix where I fly from) rarely has weather delays. Most delays I've encountered are because of the plane I'll be boarding arriving late from somewhere up North because of weather.

Either way, 34 minutes doesn't quite match what you said "My husband travels for work every single week, and always has a connecting flight that's 30 minutes or less." I had visions of an airline booking flights with 20 minute connect times and it just didn't seem reasonable.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
That is perfectly understandable, as San Diego (like Phoenix where I fly from) rarely has weather delays. Most delays I've encountered are because of the plane I'll be boarding arriving late from somewhere up North because of weather.

Either way, 34 minutes doesn't quite match what you said "My husband travels for work every single week, and always has a connecting flight that's 30 minutes or less." I had visions of an airline booking flights with 20 minute connect times and it just didn't seem reasonable.
30, 34...same thing basically. If you can make 34, you can make 30. And, it's always been more in our case since we always arrive earlier than expected. 20 is pushing it...unless your connection is in Bozeman or something, where the entire airport is one mile. I know ATL, EWR and JFK require slightly longer connection times, due to their sizes (60 for international). Which is why I was shocked to see 36 minutes on our LAX connection this Wednesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel