U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 01:10 PM

5,029 posts, read 11,693,757 times

Advertisements

As it turns out, we are actually flying on the 24th (as well as 17th), and plan on opting out. I believe it's the busiest travel day and if most people opt out, it will make the TSA's job a living hell that day.

National Opt-Out Day Called Against Invasive Body Scanners | Threat Level | Wired.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 02:24 PM

817 posts, read 1,806,967 times
I kind of wish I was flying that day. I would even intentionally use the checkpoint that has the scanner just so I can opt out. For now though I will just use the standard checkpoints.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:52 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,013,769 times
Default Video of airport-security protest goes viral

Oceanside man challenges airport's full-body scan
November 15, 2010 |

"You touch my junk and I'm going to have you arrested."

A recording made by an Oceanside man who refused to undergo a full-body scan at San Diego International Airport over the weekend has gone viral as Internet viewers ferociously debate whether airport security measures have gone too far.

Oceanside man challenges airport's full-body scan [Updated] | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

Old 11-15-2010, 03:02 PM

I posted that in the other TSA post. It's quite the story here in San Diego, he's a local celebrity!

Old 11-15-2010, 03:13 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,013,769 times
Take the Reuters poll:

Are New Security Screenings Affecting Your Decision To Fly?

Are new security screenings affecting your decision to fly? | Analysis & Opinion |

I won't prejudice your votes but more than 67,000 people have voted, and the overwhelming 96% (!) have opted for answer .......?

Stunning. 96%. You tell em America!

Old 11-15-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Take the Reuters poll:

Are New Security Screenings Affecting Your Decision To Fly?

Are new security screenings affecting your decision to fly? | Analysis & Opinion |

I won't prejudice your votes but more than 67,000 people have voted, and the overwhelming 96% (!) have opted for answer .......?

Stunning. 96%. You tell em America!
The 3 choices are not enough. My answer is no, I'm not less likely to fly because I love to travel, but I don't think it's necessary to be this anal about the process. I don't think it will help thwart terrorism at all.

Are you less likely to fly because of stepped-up security procedures such as full-body scans and patdowns?

Yes - I will make alternate travel plans to avoid intrusive security scans and patdowns
No - It is a necessary procedure to ensure terror plots are thwarted
Undecided

Old 11-15-2010, 03:31 PM

9,533 posts, read 14,713,899 times
Another recommendations, at least for the random gate searches - if you are selected, ask them to change gloves. They are required to do this, and it really messes them up as they struggle to look for clean gloves. You can even take it further and ask for them to search you in private, which means they have to leave the gate area (no you won't miss your flight). If nothing else it disrupts them and keeps them from searching the other poor SOB that is simply trying to board his plane.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:41 PM

4,170 posts, read 5,011,006 times
Given the importance of Thanksgiving for so many people, I don't expect many to go through with plans to opt out of the bodyscan. I fully expect TSA to throw their weight around and put a dent in a few travels. Given this I would like to offer a sincere "thank you" to anyone that takes a stand for our rights. It's getting scary out there. Opt out, clog the system, take a stand.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:07 PM

27,253 posts, read 28,945,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Given the importance of Thanksgiving for so many people, I don't expect many to go through with plans to opt out of the bodyscan. I fully expect TSA to throw their weight around and put a dent in a few travels. Given this I would like to offer a sincere "thank you" to anyone that takes a stand for our rights. It's getting scary out there. Opt out, clog the system, take a stand.
And create massive flight delays and cause people to miss connecting flights and not make their destination. Also the bad guys reading this may realize it is a great day to try to sneak through with all the chaos and bring a few planes down on such a major American day. Great idea! I just had a body scan and had to a waste band check and it was no big thing an I was glad to do it and wished everyone did. Would make me feel a lot safer.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:39 PM

4,170 posts, read 5,011,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
And create massive flight delays and cause people to miss connecting flights and not make their destination. Also the bad guys reading this may realize it is a great day to try to sneak through with all the chaos and bring a few planes down on such a major American day. Great idea! I just had a body scan and had to a waste band check and it was no big thing an I was glad to do it and wished everyone did. Would make me feel a lot safer.
To each his own. I do not want to be treated like a criminal and potentially have an image of my body stored on a TSA computer. I also think this is just the beginning of intrusive acts by the Feds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel