Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 04:39 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
You are correct, the public overwhelmingly supports the use of the scanners.

Don't confuse volume of voice with volume with numbers.
The public also overwhelming supports the presumption of guilt before a trial. Constitutionalists have to keep reminding them to the contrary. The public overwhelmingly supported the invasion of Iraq. The pubic overwhelmingly opposes the First Amendment rights to free speech, press and religion. The public also overwhelming supports censorship. The pubic overwhelmingly opposes rights to privacy. The public overwhelmingly discriminates prejudicially against people on the basis of color, nationality, or religion. The public overwhelmingly supports arrest without probable cause, and giving the police arbitrary power to detain.

None of those are made right nor legal by the overwhelming public endorsement. Without the lucky accident of our Constitution, the American people would overwhelmingly put in place a regime like that of North Korea, for it would offer more security and law and order, which nowadays takes precedence over the liberty and more importantly the dignity of other people.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-23-2010 at 04:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 05:23 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The left doesn't march in lock step with anything except what appears to be a fair and impartial and well-reasoned position that appears to provide the greatest overall benefit. That's why it is incorrect to assume that the left waits for the right to propose something, and then automatically "march in lock step" against it.

I understand that people steeped (no pun intended) in the right cannot fathom that approach, but it's there, nevertheless.

By the way, nightbird, read Ron Paul's entire statement. He want the government to get out of the security business, and leave our transport safety up to the discretion of the billionaires in the board rooms. Ron Paul knows that they never act in their own interests, and they watch out only for the common welfare of the citizenry, no matter how much it costs them in profits.

bluewillow, where are you reading that the Left thinks the 'war on terror is fine', with its Patriot Act and Asian invasions?
Thats quite true. I was refering to this bill he's introduced. I would hope that many congressmen would want to submit something to protect the public against the excesses but it doesn't seem so. I have a problem with turning things over to those whose primary motive is making money. Looking at some of the international links, I'll bet we're becoming a laughing stock. I'm not too thrilled with any politicians right now since all of them seem to be about their own agenda and not much else. What about effect security which doesn't create a police state? What about forcing the TSA to respect its own rules even for a start?

Old 11-23-2010, 05:37 PM

89 posts, read 201,792 times
Default The left and right agree on this one...

Quote:
You are correct, the public overwhelmingly supports the use of the scanners.

Don't confuse volume of voice with volume with numbers.

Overwhelmingly? 50% support to 48% who don't? That hardly seems like a landslide opinion. Then you must account for all the apathetic people polled out there who wouldn't stand up for a cause unless their life immediately depended on it. And then those people polled who just agree with whatever the status-quo is so they can self-righteously feel that they aren't 'scared' of anything like 'that ignorant ilk' who get up in arms about 'freedoms' and other imaginary things like that.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:44 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times
I would imagine that most Right and Left Wingnuts, as well as those of us in the middle, would now agree that none of this would be necessary at all, if the traitors (Republicans and Democrats) who have been 'running' this country for the past couple of decades had been more careful who they allowed to come here.

If certain people were not here, we would have no security problem at all (this is assuming there really is a security problem, which many people doubt).

Old 11-23-2010, 07:14 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLariss View Post
Overwhelmingly? 50% support to 48% who don't? That hardly seems like a landslide opinion.
Try over 80%.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
blah blah blah blah
Your ridiculous shrill comparisons to Jews being lead to gas chambers and other insane rhetoric aside, polls show the public overwhelming supports the scanners. When someone says "left and right agree" they are far more likely to be agreeing that the scanners should be there.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88
blah blah blah blah
------------------
Your ridiculous shrill comparisons to Jews being lead to gas chambers and other insane rhetoric aside, polls show the public overwhelming supports the scanners. When someone says "left and right agree" they are far more likely to be agreeing that the scanners should be there.
I don't know if it is a violation of the forum rules, but altering a quote from a poster is getting rather close to the most vile and reprehensible abuses you regularly commit on this forum. If you will go back and reread my post that you took liberties with, you will see that the original made absolutely no mention of the things that you then pretended to be responding to.

Furthermore, my text which you re-characterized with blah blah blah blah, in actual reading ,agreed completely with your statement that the public overwhelmingly supports scanners. (The actual poll results were 64-32%). http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...112205514.html

So, why don't you address what I actually said, instead of deleting what I said, which actually agreed with you, and calling it insane rhetoric?

Last edited by jtur88; 11-23-2010 at 07:50 PM..

Old 11-23-2010, 07:43 PM

No, go away. You make up facts constantly so it isn't worth the time to keep up with your claims.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:48 PM

As an example, your latest from the food forum in the ongoing effort to impress as some wise traveler:

Quote:
In China, nothing is discarded. Everything is eaten by somebody. And they don't even have refrigerators.

Make it up as you go and hope to not get caught. No way I'm bothering to sort thru all that stuff you posted in there to figure out which is fact and which is fiction, so until you change your ways and break this habit of manufacturing information I'll consider everything you say suspect.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:01 PM

Dealings with Aesop aside, I read today that 3% of passengers get the pat down. What exactly are those 3% do you get it also if you fail the metal detector? I never fail that so not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel