Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 07:06 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times

Advertisements

Well I just checked a Wed dep, Mon return Cincinnati to New Orleans and it takes 41 hours to get from Cincinnati to NO. Have no idea if there are better routes on different days but this is why people don't travel by rail. As near as I can tell Cincinnati is not on a main route and getting anywhere from there is long and hard.
As above, there are a few routes, if you are lucky enough to live on them, that work for people.

The title of the post is "Traveling", using a metro to get around a city is not "traveling".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 01:47 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
My point was: when traveling, do you use the train to get around at your destination? Not all destinations have rail transit, and they don't always publicize the fact. For example, how many of you know that you can take a train from the airport in Minneapolis to downtown or the Mall of America?

Old 12-05-2010, 01:56 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
My point was: when traveling, do you use the train to get around at your destination? Not all destinations have rail transit, and they don't always publicize the fact. For example, how many of you know that you can take a train from the airport in Minneapolis to downtown or the Mall of America?
Nearly ANY transit system these days has a pretty decent website. Minneapolis has one of the best. It was good enough that we were able to do an extended weekend in the Minneapolis area WITHOUT a car.

Actually, the train is only a small portion of the MSP transit system. We took the bus from downtown Minneapolis where we were staying to the zoo. On the way back, we took the bus back to the University district and then back to the hotel.

It took planning but it isn't like the "good old days" where you had to write for the information.

Most cities have public transportation between the airport and the central business district. However, in this day of $15-25 weekend car rentals, I have had less motivation to do it.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:46 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Nearly ANY transit system these days has a pretty decent website. Minneapolis has one of the best. It was good enough that we were able to do an extended weekend in the Minneapolis area WITHOUT a car.

Actually, the train is only a small portion of the MSP transit system. We took the bus from downtown Minneapolis where we were staying to the zoo. On the way back, we took the bus back to the University district and then back to the hotel.

It took planning but it isn't like the "good old days" where you had to write for the information.

Most cities have public transportation between the airport and the central business district. However, in this day of $15-25 weekend car rentals, I have had less motivation to do it.
True, and some rail systems are set up to milk travelers. For example, the AirTrain from JFK airport to "Jamaica" station costs $5 and then there is the train fare. Philadelphia's R1 line charges the maximum zoned fare, as much as if you were going 50 miles, though it is only about 10.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:47 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
True, and some rail systems are set up to milk travelers. For example, the AirTrain from JFK airport to "Jamaica" station costs $5 and then there is the train fare. Philadelphia's R1 line charges the maximum zoned fare, as much as if you were going 50 miles, though it is only about 10.
Agreed. Chicagoland's METRA costs me $3.50 to go ten miles are $7 to go 60 miles.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:29 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
True, and some rail systems are set up to milk travelers. For example, the AirTrain from JFK airport to "Jamaica" station costs $5 and then there is the train fare.
Heh I never thought about that, but I guess that is weird they charge for the airport link then you still have to pay for LIRR or MTA.

My favorite airport/subway link is BART, in fact that airport is what we use for parking when we drive to SF. Pay long term rates are airport and take train into town, much cheaper than $30/night hotels are charging to park.

Phoenix is building an airport sky train (similar to the one at JFK but free) to connect their light rail, parking lots, terminals, and rental car center. The cool factor is that it goes 100 feet up to go over the taxiway so planes can pass under it, for some reason that seems like it would be fun.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:41 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,356 times
I always use transit while travelling around, for example this year in NYC, Boston, Chicago, Washington DC, Toronto, Seattle, Vancouver, Cleveland, Philadelphia, San Fransisco. I really would like to have a good transit system here in Pittsburgh.

I did so in London, Paris, Madrid, Rome, Berlin, Zurich, Prague, Budapest, Moscow, St.Petersburg, Dusseldorf, Munich, Vienna, Milan as well.
For some reasons I had do take a rental for example in Florida, but I never used a taxi over the last years to get around in a larger city.

The Bart in SFO ist quite expensive (around $8 from/to airport), but is a very efficient and nice rail system.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:57 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
I think Berlin is probably my favorite. Beer for sale down in the U-Bahn = win.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:11 PM

239 posts, read 877,823 times
I only use it when its necessary for me to get to where Im going- I have a tendency to get lost! LOL! I have NOT gotten lost in Paris and Brussels --> Antwerpen... but I have gotten lost in ATL on the MARTA!

Old 12-08-2010, 09:03 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
I am not a big rail fan but I have used rail transit in many cities around the world:
Miami
Seattle
Boston
LA
SF
Chicago
Washington
New York
Philadelphia
London
Paris
Barcelona
Madrid
Prague
Rome
Athens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel