U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 10:38 PM

4,080 posts, read 4,433,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I've flown twice in country, once from BKK to Chiang Mai and another from Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son. We took bus home up thru Pai back East.

That train line from BKK to Nong Khai is usually nice, but once we took that thing during the burning season up North and ate smokey air the whole way.
I've ridden almost every type of public transportation commonly available in Thailand that I can think of, except trains, bicycle saamlaws and elephants.

What airline did you fly on? I still miss the old airport at Don Meung. Camp Swampy is fine, just farther for us than DM was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 08:25 AM

2,879 posts, read 3,928,621 times
Nok Air still uses DM from Chiang Mai (at least). Once at DM, I just walk across the parking lot (about 60 meters) and hop on a south bound public bus, and say BTS. They will nod and take you to the Skytrain for 18 THB.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Nok Air still uses DM from Chiang Mai (at least). Once at DM, I just walk across the parking lot (about 60 meters) and hop on a south bound public bus, and say BTS. They will nod and take you to the Skytrain for 18 THB.
I might give Nok Air a try next time we head to CM since the airport at DM seems a little closer (for us) than Swampy. Our house is in the province of Saraburi. I'm also thinking we might fly directly into CM next time we cross the pond, instead of landing at Swampy. Our daughter and her family bought a house at CM. We've been toying for years with the idea of buying a house there. Of course, prices keep getting higher each year.

Where our house is located (semi-rural) is okay and pretty easy going, but there's honestly not much variety in the area. There are a few farangs living around Saraburi province, but I can't think of a single occasion that I've ever seen any around our neighborhood, except near the talat along the highway where busses stop briefly on the way to BKK. A few foreigners (mostly backpackers) passing through sometimes hop off the bus to quickly pick up something to drink from the shops. That's not very often. Most wait until the bus stops at Nong Khae.

We love Chiang Mai, and have friends in the Koolpunt area of Hang Dong. The Koolpunt projects have grown enormously over the years. Now there are malls, department stores, etc. The first time we ever went there, they were just starting construction on Project 4. There are some really nice places around Hang Dong district, and it's fairly close to the airport.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:57 PM

2,764 posts, read 4,238,573 times
Expensive is all relative, those who find Thailand expensive should visit Israel. I think Tel-Aviv is probably one of the most expensive places I have EVER visited (Western Europe included)...the costs here are just ludicrous!

Old 12-19-2010, 02:57 PM

2,879 posts, read 3,928,621 times
Bazaar, I used to own a house with a Thai partner at บ้านวังตาล บ้านแห่งการเริ่ม ้นข*งคร*บครัว. About 2.5 Km off of Hang Dong Rd., in Tambon San Pak Wan, Amphur Hang Dong. Some of the Koolepunt projects are prone to flooding, but there was nominal flooding in Chiang Mai City this year, however it was quite serious in other areas like Korat and Hat Yai.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Expensive is all relative, those who find Thailand expensive should visit Israel. I think Tel-Aviv is probably one of the most expensive places I have EVER visited (Western Europe included)...the costs here are just ludicrous!
Agreed. Costs in Thailand for most things are much lower in comparison to similar things in the US. For example, medical expenses are by far much lower than in the US. Several years ago, I had an MRI scan done in Thailand for what would be equal to $188. The same scan (in the US) was estimated between $1500 to $2000. Dental costs are very low. So are medications. It's amazing that the same medications which are very expensive in the US are usually dirt cheap in Thailand. We built a modest house in the province of Saraburi with an adjoining lot. The cost was around $15,000. Local food is relatively cheap. Many, if not most things that are imported tend to be more expensive though. It helps to shop around for the best bargains though.

Still, around 20 years or so ago, the currency exchange rate was about 25 baht to the US dollar. Doesn't sound like much of a bargain, however the difference was that you could get a lot more in Thailand for your money than you can now. Like most anywhere, prices in Thailand, while still rather low, have been going up, especially since the big crunch in the 90s.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Bazaar, I used to own a house with a Thai partner at บ้านวังตาล บ้านแห่งการเริ่ม ้นข*งคร*บครัว. About 2.5 Km off of Hang Dong Rd., in Tambon San Pak Wan, Amphur Hang Dong. Some of the Koolepunt projects are prone to flooding, but there was nominal flooding in Chiang Mai City this year, however it was quite serious in other areas like Korat and Hat Yai.
Nice looking houses! Good-sized development too. You're right. Korat, and several other places around the country got the brunt of the flooding this year.

I agree some of the projects at Koolpunt may be prone to some flooding, although there areas we've looked at (Projects 1-6) seem to remain high and dry. It depends on where you live. Most areas around Hang Dong that may flood tend to be those with lower elevations. As previously mentioned, Koolpunt has grown enormously over the years and seems to cover a rather large area. I would never have thought it would become as large as it has. It seems nearly large enough to be its own district. We have friends in Project 3 or 4 that have had no flooding at all when the city (closer to the Ping River) was was pretty deep a few years ago. That was largely due to the release of dam water right about the time the rains started pouring. Ayutthaya can get quite a bit of flooding as well. My son-in-law's family's house has a water stain about 4 or five feet high from a flood around 25 or 30 years ago. Their house is 2 stories high, so they all moved upstairs at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel