U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 08:42 PM

5 posts, read 28,627 times

Advertisements

I will be traveling along mexico on I-10 is that a safe way to go? And how about the town of El Paso. Is there anything I need to know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 10:21 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,652,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dg60 View Post
I will be traveling along mexico on I-10 is that a safe way to go? And how about the town of El Paso. Is there anything I need to know?
No, there's nothing special you need to know and you'll be fine in El Paso. Just watch your speed.

Oh...one thing. Just west of Las Cruces, NM, there's a Border Patrol check station you may have to pull into. Don't have a cow, they're just going to ask you about your citizenship, if they even have you stop at all. Usually, if you don't look foreign, they'll just wave you on through.

Just don't do what my brother did. The BP cop was Hispanic and when he asked my brother if he was an American citizen, my brother said, "Yes. Are you?"

He got to visit with them awhile over that remark! LOL

Old 12-11-2010, 10:44 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,844,589 times
probaby safer than driving through a bad section of any other US city.

Watch for sudden weather changes like rapid rains, winds, dust storms, etc.

Watch you gas guage, fuel is available but in some streches it may be aways.

I-10 is east west so don;t get confused when going north or south and the signs only say east or west.

Watch your speed! It changes depending where you are and the changes come quick with a possible trooper just after the change.

And agree with above, don't get flippin with the officers at the checkpoints. They are there to look for illegals as the american people want them to do. But illegals can be from anywhere including mexico, china, france, england, nigeria, canada, uae or india so even if you look and act american, they may put you through the paces. Remember they are doing what you want them to do and when americans get testy, they have no problems showing how illegals are not just mexicans and even if lookong or acting "american" your citizenship is their concern not what you may appear to be.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,536 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Don't take and exit to Juarez, that can be a BAD wrong turn, (and has been known to happen). (if westbound) Stay on I-10 W enroute to Las Cruces. I enjoyed a nice free museum visit at the University last time through El Paso.

I never had any issues on I-10, tho you will note the presence of Border Patrol. On the side / secondary roads I got stopped several times, but never searched (driving solo in a motorhome raises some suspicion. )

Old 12-12-2010, 01:36 AM

47,573 posts, read 60,604,538 times
It's safe except for the terrible drivers. I went through the check point a couple of months ago east of El Paso and it was a lot more serious than usual - usually they just pass you through and no checks. They were checking more vehicles and had dogs smelling every vehicle but the violence on the other side of the border is very high right now, and very large numbers of people have relocated to the USA side. I think they're mainly looking for people running weapons.

They also recently got Willie Nelson.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:55 AM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
In addition to the Border Patrol, there is occasionally a sheriff's check point on some of the non-interstates.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:57 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,704,378 times
I-10 is safe but only on the part from Florida to California.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:52 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,660,097 times
I've made that drive and i felt safe most of the time just use your common sense and dont speed.....keep in mind that I-10 in Far West Texas is 80 but is 65 at night so if you dont know that you could get a big ticket.If you must speed on the highway in Texas never go more than 5 mph over the speed limit......ive lived in Texas all my life and the state troopers will usually give u up to 5 miles over.Whatever you do....do not go to Jaurez or any part of Old Mexico.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:23 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,130,781 times
The biggest danger of travelling the I-10 is of falling asleep at the wheel.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:29 AM

16,521 posts, read 20,961,579 times
And that is easy to do because when you get west of Sonora it is boring boring boring! It's been a while since I've been on 10 westbound but am not surprised it's 80. Western traveler is right on traveling at night too. The law down there has no tolerance for speeders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or