Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 10:54 AM

42 posts, read 118,828 times

Advertisements

Going to be doing a large family beach vacation in August, and I could really use some help with places to search for a rental home. The hard part is, we are going to need an 8 bedroom house. There will be 5 couples and 6 children (not counting twin babies staying with parents).
A few years ago, we stayed in the Outer Banks, and that is an option again, but we are coming from FL (driving 14 hrs) and the rest of the gang is coming from NJ (driving 8 hrs), so if we could find a place that was in the middle driving wise, it would be ideal....hence the thought of vacationing in SC...or the southern half of NC.
Any ideas???

Last edited by Equitate; 12-13-2010 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 12:39 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
It sort of depends upon what you want.

If you're interested in the usual beach attractions and kitsch, the Myrtle Beach area will work. It's sort of like the east coast version of Panama City.

If you're looking for somthing more laid back and focused on family, the beach or historical sites, I don't think you can beat the Charleston area. There are several islands out on the ocean where there are rentals, but not a lot of crowds doing the "entertainment" thing, such as Sullivan's Island or the Isle of Palms.

There's enough restaurants and things to do to keep you occupied, but the real attraction is Charleston itself. Don't miss the ferry ride out to Ft. Sumpter.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:50 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times
Yeah, it all depends on what you want, I actually prefer a place like Edisto Island if your family is the type that likes to just be at the beach and not need a lot of other things to do. You are still close enough to Charleston too if you have a bad weather day and want something else to do.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:07 PM

513 posts, read 541,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Yeah, it all depends on what you want, I actually prefer a place like Edisto Island if your family is the type that likes to just be at the beach and not need a lot of other things to do. You are still close enough to Charleston too if you have a bad weather day and want something else to do.
I've heard good things about Edisto - last year we rented a place on Folly Beach and really liked the area. Not a far drive at all to Charleston to visit and not too developed (only one hotel there - Holiday Inn)

Definitely start your search now due to the size of home you need!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:35 PM

209 posts, read 679,980 times
Whatever you do, don't go to Myrtle.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:57 AM

42 posts, read 118,828 times
Yes, a more laid back, stay on the beach deal, is what we are looking for. On my search yesterday, I came across Emerald Isle in NC, any feedback on that area?
I'll check out Edisto Island and Folly Beach.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:07 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVanNostrand View Post
Whatever you do, don't go to Myrtle.

Why not?

A couple years ago we had more then 40 family members who went to Myrtle Beach and we had a total blast.

If anything MB offers something for every single person in your group.

And you surely cannot beat the food and entertainment on the grand strand.

Isle of the Palms is beautiful and laid back but not much to do for a large family.

Folly is not that nice in my opinion.

If you do not want to stay in MB check out Surfside Beach or Murrells Inlet for a large home to rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel