Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 09:28 AM

18 posts, read 20,271 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to OR in the next few weeks (fingers crossed on the new job!) - this will involve driving my truck and either towing a little U-Haul trailer with my stuff or possibly towing my 25' Airstream. Leaving from Albuquerque at this iffy time of year weather-wise, and looking for the least elevation change, any advice on the best route? My destination would be The Dalles - I know that 84 between Baker City and La Grande is a bad idea, so I'd be looking for some way to get over to I-5, I'm assuming, but I would think that 40 through Flagstaff at this time of year would be scary. I'd consider a longer route if that was necessary to make it a little safer, and of course I also know that if a storm blows in at the wrong time, we'd need to re-think it. Appreciate any advice!

Thanks,

Paulette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 10:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
For as long as the 'I-5 way' is a huge detour (a few days), I would watch the weather and take the 'short-cut' UT to I-84. The fuel alone for the extra distance would pay layover expenses.

You didn't mention what your tow vehicle is, I will trust it is adequate (Weight, brakes, power, traction).

While this season is full of surprises, I-5 can be the same. I have driven both routes many times and more often than not, they will each be clear.

I use this weather site, and then validate with NOAA sites
Climate Prediction Center - 6 to 10 Day Outlook

Good luck on the job, I work in The Dalles a couple days / week.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:35 AM

Thanks, I will mark that weather site and watch it as things develop. I've reached the conclusion that towing the airstream with my truck would be foolish, so I'll be trying to sell it down here if I get the job. I have a Sierra 1500, for which the U-Haul would be nothing, but it doesn't have trailer brakes, so while it has towed a stock trailer long distance that is much heavier than my airstream, I would think it would be a hazard if we ran into bad weather.

I interviewed and spent a few hours in The Dalles on Friday and absolutely loved it. I was there a number of times but didn't pay much attention to the town itself, and I was surprised at how picturesque it is and how nice the architecture and the downtown area. Feels pretty lively for a town that size, despite it's reputation as a cow town. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks again,

Paulette

Old 11-21-2010, 02:09 PM

You want to have Trailer Brakes ($70) on most anything heavier than a utility trailer (1,000# max). Especially with a pickup as a towing vehicle (light in rear, poor braking scenario). One of my friends drives 'Boise to Hermiston, OR' RT daily hauling a set of double tanker trailers. Be cautious in Ladd Canyon and the small pass west of LaGrande (Basically Baker City to Pendleton, OR. Try to use a daytime above freezing for that portion of the route. You will want to get a pair of chains for your trailer (with brakes). You can pick them up at Les Schwab or WalMart and return them if you don't need them. It is very nice to have 'drag chains' on a trailer in the ice, but of-course try to avoid that day of driving.

The Dalles can be a very nice town, but has the typical issues of rural cities in an Internet economy (empty storefronts, but busy UPS stores).

Old 11-21-2010, 05:22 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You want to have Trailer Brakes ($70) on most anything heavier than a utility trailer (1,000# max). Especially with a pickup as a towing vehicle (light in rear, poor braking scenario). One of my friends drives 'Boise to Hermiston, OR' RT daily hauling a set of double tanker trailers. Be cautious in Ladd Canyon and the small pass west of LaGrande (Basically Baker City to Pendleton, OR. Try to use a daytime above freezing for that portion of the route. You will want to get a pair of chains for your trailer (with brakes). You can pick them up at Les Schwab or WalMart and return them if you don't need them. It is very nice to have 'drag chains' on a trailer in the ice, but of-course try to avoid that day of driving.

The Dalles can be a very nice town, but has the typical issues of rural cities in an Internet economy (empty storefronts, but busy UPS stores).

The Dalles can have wind issues too, when it blows up the Gorge.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:37 PM

I didn't realize it was so cheap to have trailer brakes installed - I will definitely do so, as I will eventually need them anyway for livestock after the move. Chains too - I'll have someone down here show me how to put them on. Somebody in Pendleton was just telling me about the pass you mentioned - that was one of the reasons I thought of I-5, but I would have some flexibility and could plan by what time of day I need to hit certain spots. Thanks so much for your input!

We actually lived near Stevenson for awhile when I was a kid, and my mom always talks about the wind, although as I kid I didn't notice. All else considered, though, it's a good spot for me in terms of proximity to both PDX and Bend. Thanks!

Old 11-21-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaulette1 View Post
I may be moving to OR in the next few weeks (fingers crossed on the new job!) - this will involve driving my truck and either towing a little U-Haul trailer with my stuff or possibly towing my 25' Airstream. Leaving from Albuquerque at this iffy time of year weather-wise, and looking for the least elevation change, any advice on the best route? My destination would be The Dalles - I know that 84 between Baker City and La Grande is a bad idea, so I'd be looking for some way to get over to I-5, I'm assuming, but I would think that 40 through Flagstaff at this time of year would be scary. I'd consider a longer route if that was necessary to make it a little safer, and of course I also know that if a storm blows in at the wrong time, we'd need to re-think it. Appreciate any advice!

Thanks,

Paulette

As I see it, you have 5 options, none of which are perfect this time of year. However, I must say at the outset that the weather can vary widely from week to week, depending upon which route you chose. It might be snowing all the way or it might be balmy and pleasant. You'll just have to watch the forecasts and pick what looks to be least dangerous for you.

Option 1: Store your stuff and rent a furnished place in The Dalles until Summer. Just take your pickup.

Option 2: I-25 N. to Cheyenne, WY, then I-80 W. to I-84 W. into The Dalles. You'll several long downgrades (Raton Pass, at the NM/CO line; between Cheyenne and Laramie, WY; Ladd Canyon between Baker and LaGrande, OR and Cabbage Hill (Immigrant Pass) between LaGrande and Pendleton, OR). There are also several other places where it can get ugly, especially around Elk Mountain, WY (west of Laramie) and between Ontario and Baker, OR. Your worst threat that way is wind, in addition to the snow.

Option 3: I-25 N. to Bernalillo, the N. on US-550 (maybe it's marked west, I'm not sure) to Bloomfield, NM, the W. on US-64 to Shiprock. From there, it's N. on US-491 to Monticello, UT, the N. on US-191 to I-70. W. to US-6 W. to I-15 N. at Spanish Forks. I-15 N. to I-84 W. to The Dalles.

It's mostly two lane and has a pretty good hill to go over just past Price, UT (Soldiers Summit) and some skinny highway and a few downgrades between Monticello and Moab, UT. The advantage of this route, at least as far as Soldiers Summit, is that it really doesn't snow all that often and there's usually not a lot of wind. Pretty country too.

Option 4: I-40 W. to Barstow, CA, then CA-58 W. to Bakersfield, then CA-99 North. You can stay on it until Sacramento where you can get on I-5, but there's a lot of towns to go through. My advice, and what I've always done, is go N. on 99 to 7th Standard Road (just as you're leaving Bakersfield) and take it west to I-5. Stay on 5 all the way to Portland, OR, then E. on I-84 to The Dalles.

The first leg of that route, from Albuquerque, through Flagstaff and down the hill to Ash Fork, will likely be the most treacherous part, especially around Flagstaff where the elevation is about 7000 ft. After that, about all you have to worry about in terms of snow is, first, at Tehachapi Pass. It can snow there quite a bit and it's about 40 miles down to Bakersfield, though it's a series of rolling downgrades.

Up above Sacramento, you can hit very heavy snow around Lake Shasta and over Syskious Pass at the Oregon line. It's a real mountain of about 6 miles of 6% grade going up and down. Thereafter, it often snows at the tops of a series of small hills around Grants Pass, but after you enter the Wilamette Valley, the threat of snow receeds quite a bit.

That is the longest route.

Option 5: I-40 W. to Kingman, AZ, then N. on US-93 across Boulder Dam (I think the new bridge bypassing the dam is open now), then US-95 N. out of Las Vegas all the way up to Fallon, NV. Take US-50 west to US-50A (I think that's how it's marked. In any case, follow the signs to Fernley). Pick up I-80 west to Reno, then US-395 north. Stay on 395 all the way up into Oregon to where it junctions with US-20 at Riley, OR. Then, W. on US-20 to Bend, OR. At Bend, go N. on US-97 through the valleys and hills to it's junction with I-84 at Biggs Jct. Then, it's just a hop, skip and jump west to The Dalles.

This is a pretty lonely and desolate route most of the way and nearly all two lane. It will take longer to actually drive. But, the roads are in pretty good shape, especially in Nevada and California. Just watch your speed coming into the few towns.

But, the upside is that once you get past Flagstaff, snow is pretty rare the rest of the way. It's hardly impossible and can come right down, but you'll be hugging the eastern slopes of the Sierra's and Cascades and that's what makes the difference. Very little moisture, of any kind, gets over the mountains. In fact, in terms of precipitation, northeast California and southeastern Oregon is one of the driest parts of the United States, with annual precipitation measured in single inches. Around Bend, OR can be a different story, though, as it sits at a pretty high elevation.

If you really want to avoid as much bad weather as possible, and aren't afraid to be out pretty much by yourself much of the time, here's your chance to make it to The Dalles AND have a great adventure.

Have a great trip! I hope it's sunshine and smiles all the way!

Old 11-21-2010, 09:14 PM

Good directions and options above.

I'll be doing option #5 southbound direction Jan 7th, taking a friend's rental truck and car trailer to SE AZ. I will drop the truck in El Paso and fly home (Or somewhere else I would like to go).

Having driven 1-25 / I-80 commercially for 7 yrs I would not recommend it UNLESS the weather is VERY clear and dry (which is actually very frequent in winter). If you do drive it be sure to take 287 from Ft Collins to Laramie rather than go through Cheyenne. WY has a huge risk for wind and ground blizzards. The semis can cruise at 70 mph because they are above the blowing snow. Passenger cars and trucks may be inching along following the white line on the right (with passenger holding door open to view it. (That has happened to me in Utah around "Snowville" on I-84).

The $70 for trailer brakes is a 'Self install' price. It is quite ez. Be sure to buy a good controller that can operate multiple axles. (You can get them online very reasonable)

The Dalles can be kinda windy, and has more 'sustained' low speed winds (< 30 mph). West of The Dalles (Cascade Locks to Corbett, the gorge is VERY narrow and tall. Freezing rain and 80 mph winds are not uncommon. (good day to stay home). That happens about 2-3 times during the winter, and can last ~ 1 week, as western MT, ID, and eastern OR, WA 'cold air' must exit to let the rain / snow enter from the Pacific. It all has to squeeze through the Columbia Gorge.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Good directions and options above.

I'll be doing option #5 southbound direction Jan 7th, taking a friend's rental truck and car trailer to SE AZ. I will drop the truck in El Paso and fly home (Or somewhere else I would like to go).

Having driven 1-25 / I-80 commercially for 7 yrs I would not recommend it UNLESS the weather is VERY clear and dry (which is actually very frequent in winter). If you do drive it be sure to take 287 from Ft Collins to Laramie rather than go through Cheyenne. WY has a huge risk for wind and ground blizzards. The semis can cruise at 70 mph because they are above the blowing snow. Passenger cars and trucks may be inching along following the white line on the right (with passenger holding door open to view it. (That has happened to me in Utah around "Snowville" on I-84).

The $70 for trailer brakes is a 'Self install' price. It is quite ez. Be sure to buy a good controller that can operate multiple axles. (You can get them online very reasonable)

The Dalles can be kinda windy, and has more 'sustained' low speed winds (< 30 mph). West of The Dalles (Cascade Locks to Corbett, the gorge is VERY narrow and tall. Freezing rain and 80 mph winds are not uncommon. (good day to stay home). That happens about 2-3 times during the winter, and can last ~ 1 week, as western MT, ID, and eastern OR, WA 'cold air' must exit to let the rain / snow enter from the Pacific. It all has to squeeze through the Columbia Gorge.

You're right about US-287. It's shorter and avoids going down Sherman hill. But, I don't usually recommend it as most people are more comfortable on the interstate. I also don't normally mention US-30 from Little America, WY to McCammon, ID either, except as a possible alternative to I-84 all the way. Those are the ways I nearly always went myself but, then again, I've never been all that wedded to the interstate unless I was in a BIG hurry.

Wind: Around Cascade Locks, I've seen the river blown up onto the highway in gigantic sheets of water like ocean swells!

Old 11-22-2010, 07:22 AM

Wow, this is incredibly helpful - you guys are terrific.

It had occurred to me, since I don't have very much stuff, that most of it would fit in the bed of the truck anyway, but I was thinking it would be easier on my truck to pull it rather than carry it - would it make more sense to skip the trailer and travel a little heavier? It would also save renting the trailer...

I like the idea of the route thru Nevada, and in fact I have friends in Bend and was just thinking of going thru there on the way north. The only thing that concerns me about that route is, if it's really isolated, I'd hate to have a breakdown there, probably no cell service I'm assuming.

Paulette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel