Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2010, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 2,866 times

Advertisements

I'm travelling for the first time from Kitchener Ontario to Casa Grande Arizona for the winter and need help with my route. Mapquest suggest the fastest route is crossing the border at Sarnia to Indianapolis, St. Louis, Albuquerque, Phoenix and on to Casa Grande.

I'm thinking of going thru Nashville, Dallas, El Paso to Casa Grande which is a couple hours longer according to Mapquest but I think it is the safest route to avoid winter weather.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 12:00 PM

710 posts, read 3,391,880 times
I've done your route twice, once on a motorcycle, but starting closer to Quebec than New York. Both times in late summer.

I'd stick with the Mapquest route... either way you're gonna have to come through the upper midwest lake area, where winter weather is the biggest factor. The routes are the same all the way down until you hit Oklahoma from Missouri. Much easier to take the straight west shot out on the 40 through NM and into AZ, than it is to head down through TX, then almost hug the MX border back through Tucson then up to Casa Grande.

Either way, it's all major highway, no worries with the winter weather once you get out of IL and OH anyhow...

Old 12-19-2010, 05:30 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ji603 View Post
Either way, it's all major highway, no worries with the winter weather once you get out of IL and OH anyhow...
While I would agree with sticking with Mapquest routing, I would disagree with you about the winter weather. Between Indianapolis and St. Louis can be a very rough drive in the snow as you are driving over the prairie and you are getting the blowing snow off the fields. And you can also have a rough drive between St. Louis and Tulsa.

Also, while the probability of snow decreases along the route as you head south, the ability to properly clean off the roads if there is a snow also diminishes.

And of course, there is always a possibility of an ice storm.

This is not to discourage the OP but to remind him that to safely travel on a road trip in the winter months requires proper preparation and the usual safety supplies (food, warm clothes, etc.). I had a friend who spent two days in his car near London, KY stranded along I-75.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:50 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre99 View Post
I'm travelling for the first time from Kitchener Ontario to Casa Grande Arizona for the winter and need help with my route. Mapquest suggest the fastest route is crossing the border at Sarnia to Indianapolis, St. Louis, Albuquerque, Phoenix and on to Casa Grande.

I'm thinking of going thru Nashville, Dallas, El Paso to Casa Grande which is a couple hours longer according to Mapquest but I think it is the safest route to avoid winter weather.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I can't imagine why Mapquest would think it's shorter or better to cross the border at Sarnia. That's out of the way. Just stay on 401 and cross the Ambassador Bridge into Detroit. It's a much larger custom's shed anyhow, which means more people to serve you. But, don't forget to stop at the last service plaza and pick up some Tim Horton's before you leave!

Exiting the custom's shed, you can get right on I-75 south and run that all the way down to Cincinnati. Go right on through the middle (forget the loop...it's too far) and take I-71 south toward Louisville, KY. I-265 south (or 264, it doesn't matter) to I-65 south to Nashville. Take the Briley Parkway (TN-155) west to I-40 and avoid downtown, unless you just want to go sightseeing. I-40 west to Little Rock, I-30 west to I-635 south to I-20 west (goes around Dallas and Ft. Worth, but you can go right through both downtowns if you'd like). I-20 to I-10 and there you are in Casa Grande!

You're subject to hit winter weather anywhere along that route and aren't really out of danger until you reach Tucson, AZ. Ohio is really good about plowing and salting the roads, Kentucky less so and Tennessee is fair. But, from there on, don't expect to see anything more than maybe some sand on the bridges and overpasses...IF you even see that. Ice is your greatest threat until you climb up Ranger Hill west of Ft. Worth, then snow is more common. But, since they won't remove the snow, it can and often does get packed down into greasy, yellow, rutted, pitted and potholed ice which will shake your car to pieces IF you can stay on the road.

However, it usually doesn't last long. When the sun comes out, it'll melt. However, since they won't salt it, it can re-freeze after dark and create patches of really slick black ice that you won't see until you're on it.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:37 PM

661 posts, read 1,251,145 times
I'm close to Kitchener and my only contribution is "Go south"! Then west. Get out of this mess.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,866 times
Thanks for the detailed route. I'm thinking
Day 1 Nashville
Day 2 Arlington ( I want to visit Cowboy Stadium)
Day 3 Las Cruces
Day 4 Casa Grande

Does this seem reasonable?

Old 12-21-2010, 03:18 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre99 View Post
Thanks for the detailed route. I'm thinking
Day 1 Nashville
Day 2 Arlington ( I want to visit Cowboy Stadium)
Day 3 Las Cruces
Day 4 Casa Grande

Does this seem reasonable?

It does to me, but then again, I'm one of those 1000 mile a day guys.

If the weather is good, yes that should work fine. I'd have to figure out the distance from Kitchener to Nashville because I don't have it right off the top of my head, but Nashville to Arlington is roughly 700 miles. So is Arlington to Las Cruces. The final leg is about half that.

If you'll be staying in Casa Grande into the spring, do you know if the World Series Champion San Fransico Giants still do their spring training there? If so, that would be a fun day, wouldn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel