Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 12:55 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,914,347 times

Advertisements

About #2: I still see Tuesday sales, but have not participated in a worthwhile one for quite some time.

#7 and #8 are true in my experience, it's just that not everyone can always be that flexible for #8. We avoid even having a car if we really don't need it.

There is a lot more to cheap lodging than negotiating a hotel rate or using Priceline. CouchSurfing, AirBnB etc.
But I have had success with Priceline in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 09:35 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,834,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Has anyone actually seen a fare decrease on Tuesdays? I've booked a lot of flights and never found that one to be true!

We bring our iPhones on all international trips and keep it an airplane mode. Then, we find wifi and use Skype to make calls back home or if we want to make restaurant reservations/book excursions. Smartphones are definitely great for travel!

I think the best thing to do is to be loyal to one airline. Because of our loyalty to Delta, we have gotten many free flights last year. Places like Costa Rica, Turks and Caicos and several trips to NYC, many of them bumped to first class...it really pays to be loyal!
Yes, I ALWAYS fly on Tuesdays, I usually get the best fare on average

Old 01-05-2011, 09:39 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,834,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
With Priceline, it could have been 40% less! We rarely pay more than $80/night for a hotel room, and I'm talking some nice places not 2 or 3 star hotels. Priceline rocks!
I am on MAK's side with this one, she got me using priceline and it is something every traveler should do if they are looking to save money somewhere.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:07 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,385,339 times
I haven't found that *buying* tickets on Tuesdays saves me money but I have found that departing and returning on a Tuesday or Wednesday saves me a significant amount of money (domestic travel anyway, not so much internationally).

Old 01-06-2011, 09:37 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,591,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I thought that a lot of the recommendations were hardly exciting or anything special that most travelers would not already know. And there were very few references to low cost providers like Priceline, Southwest, etc.
I agree, I thought they would reference Southwest because they don't charge to check bags but they didn't. Also I have found that flying Tues/Wed/Thurs is always cheaper. You just have to check different dates or search flexible dates to see what's cheaper.

Perhaps I'm not using Priceline correctly, whenever I've checked it, it doesn't seem any cheaper than other sites (travelocity/expedia). Is there a secret to searching Priceline?

Old 01-06-2011, 09:45 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,249,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post

Perhaps I'm not using Priceline correctly, whenever I've checked it, it doesn't seem any cheaper than other sites (travelocity/expedia). Is there a secret to searching Priceline?
You don't search Priceline, you bid. If you do a search like you do on all other sites, yes the prices are the same because those are published rates. You have to click the "For deeper discount name your own price button" on the left. If you go to Better Bidding, you can almost always pinpoint the hotel you'll win.

You can also bid multiple times on the same thing, if you know how to work around that. They tell you if your bid isn't accepted, you have to wait 24 hours or change something...not true and on BB you can also find tips to bid over and over again for the same hotel class/location.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:47 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,162,113 times
I always get into the debate with myself about how much my time is worth when arranging travel. Like I find a flight for $900 but there is one available for $600 if I'm willing to add another stop and wait five hours there, making total travel time +8 hours.

The other angle is whether to pay more for a flight that gives me more time on-site. Like I can save a couple hundred bucks but arrive Saturday night instead of Saturday morning. Do I pay the extra but sacrifice having nine hours available on my first day of the trip, on my preciously limited vacation time from work?

Old 01-06-2011, 09:48 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,591,740 times
Hmm so I wasn't using their site correctly; and to think I consider myself internet saavy! Thanks MAK!

Old 01-06-2011, 10:35 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,862,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I always get into the debate with myself about how much my time is worth when arranging travel. Like I find a flight for $900 but there is one available for $600 if I'm willing to add another stop and wait five hours there, making total travel time +8 hours.
Although if you're nearing a new level for FF status, adding that extra segment on a few flights can pay off greatly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel