Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 04:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
Hello guys,
I'm curious to see INDIA.
Have you ever been to India?
In what period?

what plaeces did you see?
Any suggests?

Have a great day
I am living in India and India is very beautiful country. You can visit many places in India. I have visited Shimla, kullu, manali, Kasauli, haridwar, jammu and many other places all are very beautiful place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 03:36 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,255,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Lady KLO - people stare at you because you are astonishingly beautiful ... as gorgeous as any runway supermodel. I know this because I saw your picture.
Thank you soooo much!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Great. Maybe you'll report on it when the time comes?
I sure will!

I ended up buying plane tickets in June for India and I also bought tickets for a side trip to Nepal. I can hardly wait!!

I had a freaking BLAST in India and can't wait to go back!

Old 08-10-2013, 03:40 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,255,853 times
Default A few pics from my trip

This is in Jaipur

Amber Fort in Jaipur

Lake Palace in Jaipur

Pre-Holi Festival celebration

Ok...long story...I actually got attacked in Jaipur..that tattoo..I didn't ask for it. A little girl came up to me and asked me if I wanted a tattoo and I said no. She said 50 rupees and I said no thank you. She stamped my arm and turns out, the stamp is laced in some type of acid....I actually have a permanent tattoo....so I will never forget this trip!

In front of my hotel in Jaipur

Holi Festival..this was GREAT!!!!!!!!!

My tattoo was healing up at the Taj Mahal!

Everyone wanted to take my picture but this one was special to me.

I'm in so many photos of other people.

Animals!

Last edited by LadyKLO; 08-10-2013 at 03:59 PM..

Old 08-15-2013, 12:21 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Answer to your questions:
Been to India? - yes
Period? - twice in the last year
What did you see? - Well lets see, trash, pollution, dust, dirt, people living in the streets in filth, people sleeping on sidewalks, people defecating in rivers and streams (then down the road people bathing in same streams), beggers pounding on my taxi window for rupees, wall to wall traffic, etc. Livestock eating trash and walking in traffic, Oh and 10 hours a day in a typical "outsource" company office smelling curry and body odor. That was Delhi.

LOL, you can see my experience may be a bit different from others, I was there on business. I did see some beautiful and amazing things - The Taj for one. Looks like I will be traveling to India a couple times a year as long as I stay in my current job. Yay me.
My daughter was just talking about this yesterday. She used to travel to India on business a couple times a year and the only place she thought was worse was Egypt. She is glad she got to the country, though she didn't get to the Taj but she would never go back. According to her the hotels are beautiful but they overlook poverty like none we can imagine and the fragrance as you said, can make a healthy person get sick, just walking outside in the early morning.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:45 PM

27,547 posts, read 28,630,498 times
I went to India twice this year already in February and March. I travel there a lot since I have family there, so it's a different experience for me - much more social. The negative things like dirt and filth are stuff you come to expect after going there so many times. You get desensitized to it and it's nothing new anymore.

For everyone else, I'd say head for the Himalayas especially if you like mountains. It's a spiritual kind of experience and there's nothing else quite like that on earth.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:54 PM

27,547 posts, read 28,630,498 times
BTW, the fantastic food is reason enough for me to want to go to India.

You'll never get that anywhere else.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
BTW, the fantastic food is reason enough for me to want to go to India.

You'll never get that anywhere else.
That was one aspect of India my daughter did love, though she did get sick a couple of her trips. I really don't think anyone would seriously want to go to any country just because of the fantastic food. I love French food, but I am not going to fly to France just for the food. The same with the wines, I would love to do a wine tour in France, but that would have been years ago, now I have to be happy with traveling on this side of the pond.

Again, as my daughter said, she is glad she got to see India, she has some gorgeous pictures in her living room she took in India, but once is enough. Unfortunately she was there more than once.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:47 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My daughter was just talking about this yesterday. She used to travel to India on business a couple times a year and the only place she thought was worse was Egypt. She is glad she got to the country, though she didn't get to the Taj but she would never go back. According to her the hotels are beautiful but they overlook poverty like none we can imagine and the fragrance as you said, can make a healthy person get sick, just walking outside in the early morning.
The business hotels are like forts, due to terrorism fears. I'm talking walled enclosures, xray machines, guards looking under cars with mirrors. So most business visitors are stuck in a rut - from hotel to office, hotel to office, each day. What you see of India is from a taxi. You eat food either in the office or the hotel. It's too much of a hassle to leave the hotel any other time.
I still go twice a year and make a point of at least spending a day or two free to see the sights, outside of the hotel-office rut. Seen some beautiful sights, last time to one of the hill camps and spent a day on horseback. But the filth is cultural, no getting away from it, even with a beautiful view on the hill camp the areas was strewn with trash.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:43 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The business hotels are like forts, due to terrorism fears. I'm talking walled enclosures, xray machines, guards looking under cars with mirrors. So most business visitors are stuck in a rut - from hotel to office, hotel to office, each day. What you see of India is from a taxi. You eat food either in the office or the hotel. It's too much of a hassle to leave the hotel any other time.
I still go twice a year and make a point of at least spending a day or two free to see the sights, outside of the hotel-office rut. Seen some beautiful sights, last time to one of the hill camps and spent a day on horseback. But the filth is cultural, no getting away from it, even with a beautiful view on the hill camp the areas was strewn with trash.
Is it really cultural? I do not see dirty Indians here. I think it's because in India they lack infrastructure. That is also why India is not progressing more in a business sense. The government does not to an adequate job in supplying electricity, water, sewage disposal, etc. Even the police are too few and guns are in poor supply. In that Mumbai terrorist strike the police were way underarmed and were very brave, considering that.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:55 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Is it really cultural? I do not see dirty Indians here. I think it's because in India they lack infrastructure. That is also why India is not progressing more in a business sense. The government does not to an adequate job in supplying electricity, water, sewage disposal, etc. Even the police are too few and guns are in poor supply. In that Mumbai terrorist strike the police were way underarmed and were very brave, considering that.
That may be part of it, that and overcrowdedness. But I still wonder, going to that Hill Station overlooking the western ghats - this is a relatively isolated viewpoint, but middleclass Indian's go here on vacation. Yet still it was strewn with trash. It's not all about not employing people to pick up the trash, it's about your average indian not bothering to throw there trash in a trash can.
That and buildings just caked with dirt and dust. Private residences. Again, I understand Delhi gets dusty during the non-monsoon seasons. But it doesn't take much effort to clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel