Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 03:47 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Answer to your questions:
Been to India? - yes
Period? - twice in the last year
What did you see? - Well lets see, trash, pollution, dust, dirt, people living in the streets in filth, people sleeping on sidewalks, people defecating in rivers and streams (then down the road people bathing in same streams), beggers pounding on my taxi window for rupees, wall to wall traffic, etc. Livestock eating trash and walking in traffic, Oh and 10 hours a day in a typical "outsource" company office smelling curry and body odor. That was Delhi.

LOL, you can see my experience may be a bit different from others, I was there on business. I did see some beautiful and amazing things - The Taj for one. Looks like I will be traveling to India a couple times a year as long as I stay in my current job. Yay me.
This is one of the few descriptions that is right on the money. Most people say India is poor or miserable or whatever, but that's the description. It's also the reason I want to go back. I feel so free in poverty. I'm not joking neither. I'm crazy about smells and India has plenty of smells and dis-order as opposed to so orderly and corporate. This is one part of the world people have learned to live in poverty and be content. I find that liberating and can't waite to go back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 02:38 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Tetnus, Typhoid, Hep A,Hep B and polio.
2nd this. Typhoid and Hep A are instant. Don't know about polio. Hep B takes 6 months, so get started early. You get partial protection from the initial shot, so if it's too late to fully immunize consult a doctor about whether you should take the first shot before you go.

Also consider malaria medication if you are going to be in malarial areas. Doxycycline is cheap, common, and somewhat effective. I picked up a year's worth in Taiwan for about $10 US. It also doesn't give you the side-effects of some of the stronger stuff. Watch your sun exposure because it can make some people burn easier. I was on Doxy most of the time I was in SE asia and I didn't even catch so much as a cold. I think the antibiotics helped keep me healthy, though you wouldn't want to stay on it for more than a few months.

Again, take LOADS of immodium. Enough for 2 pills a day per person minimum. Antibiotics don't do anything against the food, but it is WORTH it. YUM!

Old 01-27-2011, 02:59 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
2nd this. Typhoid and Hep A are instant. Don't know about polio. Hep B takes 6 months, so get started early. You get partial protection from the initial shot, so if it's too late to fully immunize consult a doctor about whether you should take the first shot before you go.

Also consider malaria medication if you are going to be in malarial areas. Doxycycline is cheap, common, and somewhat effective. I picked up a year's worth in Taiwan for about $10 US. It also doesn't give you the side-effects of some of the stronger stuff. Watch your sun exposure because it can make some people burn easier. I was on Doxy most of the time I was in SE asia and I didn't even catch so much as a cold. I think the antibiotics helped keep me healthy, though you wouldn't want to stay on it for more than a few months.

Again, take LOADS of immodium. Enough for 2 pills a day per person minimum. Antibiotics don't do anything against the food, but it is WORTH it. YUM!
If not already mentioned, get a shot against Cholera too! And possibly tetanus - just in case.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:42 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Awesome, I just checked out more pics of rajasthan and I have decided i will go there. I have never been in a full out desert before
We spent some time backpacking in Rajasthan and one thing that struck us funny was how much some parts look just like the desert around our hometown of Phoenix Arizona.

Traveled all that way to be home.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:59 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
We spent some time backpacking in Rajasthan and one thing that struck us funny was how much some parts look just like the desert around our hometown of Phoenix Arizona.

Traveled all that way to be home.
Awesome, I was accepted to University of Arizona and I was really excited to visit and see a cactus in real life, but then I decided to go somewhere else so I'm still dying to see a desert haha

Old 05-01-2011, 09:04 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,764,928 times
Dear all,
how are you?
Here I'm

I need your help agai.
I would like to plan mi trip in India.
Could you help me?

I have read all your messages and I have put all info in this draft.

started in New Delhi

then took the bus or ...? to go to Jaipur (Jaipur with the stunning Palace of the Winds and the fantastic walled city of Jaisalmer) then Agra
Visit Taj Mahal .
I wouls like to see Varanesi also but...wehre I can put this stop in this trip? How can go to there?

After then, train to Mumbai, Goa/Kerala and Bangalore.

After this tour, I would like to fly to SriLanka. See Colombo anbd then..4 days of sea.

I have already been to Maldives but I read in one of your paost that it's cheap to go to Maldives from SriLanka and the same to stay in some hotels.
(you can usually find something nice for $200/day for 2. ???) WHERE?

In total, I have 2 weeks and half.
thanks for your help!

Have a great Sunday

Old 05-01-2011, 06:56 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
If going to Sri Lanka, I strongly suggest that you do not spend much time in Colombo - the capital city ... it has very little charm or character and is rather boring quite frankly. Instead take the stunning train ride and spend a couple of days in Kandy - much more beautiful, historic ... the gorgeous TEMPLE OF THE TOOTH ... it's on a lovely and very pretty lake and there are lots of interesting hotels, guest houses, restaurants, pubs, shops; besides nearby is one of the finest botanical gardens I ever visited.

In my opinion, Colombo is not even 1/10th as interesting as Kandy.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:53 PM

wow, it's a great suggestion!
thanks!

about my tour in India... how can I move there? what type of means of transportation do you recommend me to use?

how many days for each places?
thanks very much for your help!

Old 05-02-2011, 09:39 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
wow, it's a great suggestion!
thanks!

about my tour in India... how can I move there? what type of means of transportation do you recommend me to use?

how many days for each places?
thanks very much for your help!
Well most people take trains and planes to get around.

I had (note: I said HAD ... not "have" because these days I'm broke! ) extra $$$, so I would just hire a car and driver to drive me around 24/7 ... you see, renting an air-conditioned car in India is expensive - like $65 a day! - but for something like $75 a day you can rent a car and get a personal chauffeur who is at your disposal morning, noon, and night. Hotels provide dormitory rooms for these chauffeurs at no extra cost to you!

If you are traveling with someone else I highly recommend traveling by car with driver ... you can split the cost.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:20 AM

Hi Clark Park!
how are you?

where did you rent car + personal chauffeur?
is the possibility to rent it by internet?

thanks and have a great day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel