U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-19-2011, 10:12 AM

8,164 posts, read 9,456,244 times
I stayed at the Moore the last time I was up there ...... nothing fancy, but a good rate, good location and we even had a great view of the water

You can get from the airport to downtown easily by public transport, busses during the week are free within the downtown zone, most of the city is walkable, safeco is a gem .... a lot can be done in the general area without a car

Philly is where I went to school - a lot that can fill up a weekend, not expensive at all compared to the other east coast cities - very walkable and the sports complexes are an easy train from downtown .... can also take the train in from the airport to downtown

Boston is another good choice

NYC is what it is ...... a must visit at some point, but a weekend may leave you a little overwhelmed and even a little broke .... i'd have friends visit me in philly and then we'd go visit another friend up in NYC .... we'd spend more in 2 days 1 night in NYC than we would in 4 days 3 nights in Philly

I'm also from around Rochester, NY - I wouldn't count on just swinging over to NYC if you are visiting Rochester .... the two cities aren't close to each other and it's a fairly long drive - flights can get pretty expensive as well

Chicago is a good call - 2 teams, a historic stadium, fun vibe, good transport

SF is the only place in CA i'd consider without a car ..... another gem of a ballpark .... you can stay in some of the neighborhoods for less than the more touristy/business sections and either walk or take public transport in ..... can be a bit pricey, but one of my favorite cities

DC is another great option - I too would frequently stay on the outskirts of town next to a metro stop and just take the train into the city .... not sure about their ballpark situation

if you are into baseball and stadiums (i personally love stadiums) I would wait a bit on Miami .... they open a new stadium next summer which should be fantastic

a dark horse could be minneapolis - they have a downtown ballpark which is incredible, a light rail system that will hook up the airport to downtown, the mall, etc ..... downtown mpls is fairly active and very walkable .... you may need a cab though if you want to try out a couple of the different scenes (uptown/chain of lakes, nordeast, dinkytown/university of MN)

There is a lot to do here in Phoenix - but you definitely need to have a car .... if baseball is your thing make it a spring training trip - there really isn't much special about Chase Field and I wouldn't go out of my way to see it ... better to take the tour in the offseason and catch a bunch of spring training games - but again, a car is a must
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 01:54 PM

7,767 posts, read 7,526,929 times
I suggest New Orleans or Portland.

New York is flat and comfortable for walking, but you won't see squat in two days.

San Francisco is walkable to a certain extent, especially if you have some health restrictions. But for only a weekend I would suggest taking advantage of their trolleys and even busses, depending on what you want to see.

New Orleans is very walkable but you do have to be very careful at night. But for a weekend, chances are you wouldn't stray far from the main attractions, anyway. French Quarter itself has plenty to see, there's the French Market, and in the evenings you can ride the St. Charles streetcar through the Garden District. There are museums, and nightlife can found in the Quarter as well as the nearby Marigny. A taxi can easily take you to the Superdome if there's something scheduled.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:43 PM

1,333 posts, read 1,196,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
My first thought was New Orleans or Charleston, SC. But, they don't have baseball teams.
Charleston has a minor league ball team. Charleston is extraordinarily walkable and some of the hotels might have shuttles to some of the out of the way places.

How about Baltimore? The inner harbor is really neat and of course they have that great ballpark.

NYC of course but the hotels might blow your budget. From the Times Square area you can walk to many of the major sights and you could subway if you felt that was safe. Taxis are also everywhere.

San Francisco...awesome choice! Great architecture, great food, great history, the hills will kill you walking but you have trolley or subway options, great weather, great ballpark. I would pick that one!

Old 01-19-2011, 02:46 PM

1,333 posts, read 1,196,306 times
How about DC?

The sights are totally awesome...inside or outside depending on the weather.
Metro is convenient and very safe.

Is the only ball club Baltimore?? Well, you could take the train...

Old 01-19-2011, 02:51 PM

15,968 posts, read 25,397,716 times
Dallas is really very walkable in certain sections. West End/Victory is one of those and it connect to the Arts District which connects to the free McKinney Avenue Trolley which goes up that street into Uptown and the West Village. Another very walkable area, Knox-Henderson (Henderson is white hot these days) is a few blocks north of that. Other walking areas are Deep Ellum/Expo Park/Fair Park (largest collection of 1930s Art Deco exhibition buildings in the world), Greenville Avenue, Cedars/Southside, Bishop Arts, Oak Lawn/Cedar Springs/Turtle Creek, Lakewood, and the Design District is coming along. Some of those are connected by DART rail, the largest light rail project in the country.

Personally I always travel to walking cities here and abroad and I would say New Orleans is the place I love to visit the most in the USA.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:18 PM

5,468 posts, read 7,847,140 times
LA can actually be cheap if you are coming for a weekend. Check out the Millenium Biltmore Hotel. They have special weekend rates and there is tons to do in LA. You don't need a car since they added Metrolink.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:37 PM

3,681 posts, read 10,544,882 times
Boston would get my vote and you could find a nice hotel outside the city to save some money.
Fenway is a great old baseball park and you will find lots to do there. Braintree would be a great
place to find a hotel with the T into the city.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:04 PM

70 posts, read 38,719 times
hey man, since you are in a budget. I recommend you try staying at a hostel. It is affordable and it is a great place for people that are on a budget.Believe they are safe to stay in and you are able to meet different people from other countries too. They are located in safe parts of the city and sometimes they even offer free breakfast along with the price. However you have to share rooms with other people but they have lockers where you could store your items and lock them up. I have traveled through every city in the US and found hostels to be awesome to stay at.
There are hostels in any major city in the US. Do some research online and check out www. hostelworld.com or www.hihostels.com.

Man i agree from everyone that Chicago, NYC, Boston, Seattle, Portland,and San Francisco are great places to check out in May.

New York city (if you haven't been there before) should be your destination as it is easy to budget yourself in terms of eating out and there are many free things to do in the city. Plus it is a safe place to walk around and you could use the subways to get around. I find the city to be fun and vibrant. Plus the weather isn't too hot or cold to be there.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:34 PM

1,297 posts, read 1,675,677 times
My vote is for Boston or Philly. I've had fun weekends in both. Both will provide lots of walkable fun things to do and also offer great public transportation. And it's very possible to do both cities on a budget.

I'm from Baltimore originally and in terms of baseball, camden yards is great and it would be walkable if you stayed downtown or in Federal Hill. But if you wanted to get other places around the city, you would want a car. If you do go to Baltimore make sure to check out the Visionary Art Museum and Federal Hill park, they are right next to each other. The Science Center is right down the hill from them too in the inner harbor. Federal Hill park gives you an amazing view of the whole city, it's really a beautiful spot (can you tell I miss home? )

DC is great for public transit... I haven't been to a baseball game there in a while, but a few years ago when I went I wasn't impressed with the stadium.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:48 PM

2,286 posts, read 998,861 times
DC - you can spend a week walking just around the mall area, without ever making it downtown, so to speak.

NYC- never been, but I imagine you can walk around everywhere there. The night life is probably excellent and they definitely have sports.

Boston - I think there's a historic walk you can take here, but I can't remember what it's called. All in all, looks like a cool city to see.

Denver - Believe it or not. It has an outdoor pedestrian mall the runs about a mile or so. Plus, has all the major sports scenes and a good night life. Also very safe and clean.

San Francisco - great weather, good sports town and beautiful ocean scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel