Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 02:09 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Hummmm... National Parks in Dec... while I really prefer Yellowstone and Tetons (winter is GREAT...) THAT could be inconvenient, expensive, and time consuming in Dec w/ little kids. (snow coach / LOTS of bundled up people, LONG waits between bathrooms...) so....

most bang for the travel buck.... I would suggest I-40, but cut up to Durango for Mesa Verde, then over to Moab for Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce, ... Utah National Parks | Utah.com

From there, weather permitting you could do Great Basin OR head to Death Valley (the afternoon passes to pool are good time to unwind AFTER a cool morning hike)

I would probably skip Grand Canyon (north rim will probably be closed for winter, but CHECK) It is a very long way around, and a VERY cheap trip (flight) from WA to Las Vegas some winter when you are dying for sun. Here is my Favorite spot near there valley of fire - Google Search

I would consider doing Death Valley and Joshua Tree, BUT they are another better trip in March for flowers and SUN (Hint... you will want to take lots of trips FROM We_tern WA in winter... I certainly DO... Sacramento is $39 one way and I go OFTEN.... EZ to Yosemite and San Francisco (lots of CHEAP / free / fun for kids and parents. Stay at Fort Mason Youth Hostel while in SF (free parking, EZ walk to EVERYTHING (including cable cars) and you will feel right at home living on an Army Base). Our private room had a view of Alcatraz. Our kids LOVED hostels, as there are so many different nationalities there. The kids called them 'foster homes for college kids', we stayed in many while living in Europe (way TOO many for some in the family... (mom).(too old to enjoy co-ed showers )

If heading up through CA, look at hitting Sequioa and Yosemite (weather permitting), or just head to I-5 or coast. While I REALLY like Lassen NP, I would probably head for the coast and Redwoods. (Be sure to stop at Samoa (Eureka) and see the museum at cookhouse. I like to have breakfast there (when they are offering French Toast) (ex-logging camp / mill kitchen.. All-u-can-eat FAMILY style, LONG benches, shared serving dishes (I remember being there in 1976 and getting a WHOLE cream pie and a WHOLE Apple pie for dessert... (we were 2 STARVING motorcycle bums from Colorado) We didn't eat for 2 more days...

Crater Lake and Lava Caves will probably be too cold / snowy, so I would just go up the beautiful OR coast, and plan to come back and do inland / mountain parks in summer. You might choose to come back inland to Portland at Cannon Beach (Northern OR) there is not much ACCESSIBLE pretty coast north of there. Fort Clatsop, OR is nice, but a good history field trip while in Tacoma. (Be sure to go during Cranberry harvest (near Ocean City / Long Beach, WA)

Both Mt Hood and Mt Rainier (and Crater Lake) have beautiful Lodges built by CCC (1930's). See them every chance you get. Try to spend a weekend at Paradise Lodge (Mt Rainier ~ 1 hr from Tacoma). DO NOT miss this place danielklennert (free and directly on the way to SW entrance)

Early Fall is a great time to go to Glacier, Yellowstone, Tetons, Craters of the Moon parks, as well as take a jet boat up the Snake River from Lewiston, ID.

You will be within EZ 'day-trip' reach of Olympic and North Cascades parks.
Do be prepared for trips to BC (Vancouver Island and inland) the camping can't be beat. When the kids were age 5&7 we lived a few months on Thetis Island, it was 'wilderness' paradise in many ways. Sailed / boated / ate crab and Salmon or Rock Cod nearly everyday. There were ~ 70 sea lions that came to visit daily and follow us around when sailing or in canoe or Kayak. Eagles would sit on the deck rail and taunt the indoor cat.

You make an interesting suggestion which is a good way to avoid snow in the Syskious Mountains on the CA/OR line and on the hills around Grants Pass, OR if you have the time.

Instead of staying on I-5 all the way, take US-101 out of San Francisco all the way to Astoria, OR. It's a beautiful drive through what's left of the Redwoods and along the magnificent Oregon coast. It's all, or nearly all, 4 lane in California. And, it rarely snows on that route, though the storms coming in off the Pacific can be dreadful. At Astoria, you can go east on US-30 to Portland, or cross the Columbia River into Longview, WA and get back on I-5.

In fact, if you have the time, I'd recommend that route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 04:18 PM

45 posts, read 129,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomid123 View Post
I have a new job in Tacoma WA that starts mid Feb. I would like to drive but need advice on the best route to avoid bad weather. Any help would be appreciated.
Interested in hearing about your trip. I heading to Crater Lake National Park from Austin, TX in March.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:20 PM

8 posts, read 7,643 times
Ok, I need help here. I am traveling from Hattiesburg, Ms to Tacoma, Wa. Problems: limited snow driving experience, phobias of high bridge, mountain driving for one of the drivers. Positives: having enough time to make a slow drive.

Which route should we take? I-20-to I-10 to I-5 (LA, TX, NM, AZ, CA, Or) OR Go up diagonally taking I-40 to 70 (AK, KN, Ok, WY up to ID)

Old 03-15-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivungthere View Post
Ok, I need help here. I am traveling from Hattiesburg, Ms to Tacoma, Wa. Problems: limited snow driving experience, phobias of high bridge, mountain driving for one of the drivers. Positives: having enough time to make a slow drive.

Which route should we take? I-20-to I-10 to I-5 (LA, TX, NM, AZ, CA, Or) OR Go up diagonally taking I-40 to 70 (AK, KN, Ok, WY up to ID)
I had similar worries. I would select the first option. I am driving from TX to OR.

FYI...AK = Alaska

Old 03-15-2012, 11:38 PM

Default thanks for the response and fyi :)

You mention that you "had" similar worries. Are you at ease about the drive now? If so, what has helped? Also, I saw some snow in S. Cali. I don't plan to travel that area. Seems the mountains are a part of the either route. I also saw snow for the north to west route. So I-10 just may be the way to go.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:09 AM

stillkit, I sent a dm to you about making this drive. I was unable to respond to your reply b/c of the one message per day rule. But I'm driving from Southern Mississippi. Also, for the high bridge-, high mountain- squeamish, is it possible to drive a route with less of both? Is it impossible to avoid either? If not, would you have any tips also on driving these safely? Thanks.

Last edited by drivungthere; 03-16-2012 at 06:24 AM..

Old 03-16-2012, 06:11 AM

athomas76, which route did you end up taking? How'd the trip turn out?

Old 03-16-2012, 10:35 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
stillkit, I sent a dm to you about making this drive. I was unable to respond to your reply b/c of the one message per day rule. But I'm driving from Southern Mississippi. Also, for the high bridge-, high mountain- squeamish, is it possible to drive a route with less of both? Is it impossible to avoid either? If not, would you have any tips also on driving these safely? Thanks.

Ok, gotcha. When are you making this trip?

Old 03-16-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
You mention that you "had" similar worries. Are you at ease about the drive now? If so, what has helped? Also, I saw some snow in S. Cali. I don't plan to travel that area. Seems the mountains are a part of the either route. I also saw snow for the north to west route. So I-10 just may be the way to go.
The advantage you have over me is time (and probably $).

When I said similar worries, I meant the roadways. Most maps routed me through NM, UT, a small part of CO, and NV mostly on State Hwys. I'd rather be on Interstate Hwys vs. State Hwys. It just seems safer in my opinion. If I get stranded or am in need of some help, it seems being on IHs will be the better place. I know I can always expect to see a state trooper/

As for you phobias about bridges, mountains, etc., I opined that you have no other choice except to fly to your location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel