U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 12:06 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,671,083 times

Advertisements

i may have a phobia, but for good reason. i live in a log cabin, with a million cracks in, and between, each log. if we get bed bugs, I'm afraid we'd never get rid of them since people who live in dwellings with seam-free drywall can't seem to get rid of them. they can live a year without feeding.

we had bird mites for a few days last year because we let a bird build a nest
under our roof. i woke up with little mites biting my back. we were able to get rid of 99 percent of them in the first 48 hours and the rest a couple days later. still, I considered that a horrible experience.

i was reading about bed bugs last night and i literally made myself sick thinking about it.

honestly, i may take nothing but day trips from here on.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 12:13 PM

16,955 posts, read 22,271,168 times
When I travel I just look for a remote place to camp (preferably a national forest or similar) rather than stay at some overpriced, possibly dirty, motel. A couple times when the weather was bad and I didn't feel like finding a campsite I just slept in my car in the parking area, provided no one else was there...caught a deer poacher one of those times. lol

Bedbugs may be "new" up here for getting attention, but they've been a growing issue all over the country for a long time now...

Old 01-19-2011, 12:15 PM

1,559 posts, read 3,184,867 times
Well - our neighbor had them....we live in townhouses and they came in through the cracks in the wall...thankfully - this neighbor lives across the street. It took her 6 months to get rid of them. We hauled her old mattress off which was creepy because I saw the dead ones on there.

Meanwhile, we have had them in our office building. I saw them myself and knew exactly what they were but since....it has been hush hush and our building services manager won't discuss anything to do with them. Hmmmm.....

But, I have travelled.... I figure I can't stop travelling when I could easily just get them from a neighbor or my own office workers....

I'd die if I got them though. I don't know what the heck I'd do.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I just slept in my car in the parking area
I can see this vividly

Old 01-19-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
It took her 6 months to get rid of them.
It takes over a year to know if they are gone

Old 01-19-2011, 01:29 PM

16,955 posts, read 22,271,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I can see this vividly
Hehe. Worked okay, it was a large car and the seats went back well. Best of all, it was free and I got no bed bugs and had no whacky people in a room next to me. Woke up one morning to a deer outside the car. I do prefer the tent, and a popup camper my family used to have for that matter, but sometimes it's not a good idea to wander dark, unfamiliar trails, in a storm...

In the middle of the night in one of those instances though, someone pulled up in a truck with a spotlight looking into the woods, and shot a deer with a .22, without any idea I was there (and able to take down his license plate #...). Almost funny.

I know my way to travel may not sound like fun to some but it beats bedbugs and some of the crazy people I've experienced at motels/hotels.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:56 PM

986 posts, read 2,032,709 times
I stayed in a relatively dirty Days Inn in Atlantic City, which is supposedly infested with bed bugs, no problem. I wouldn't worry about it. The more you work yourself up over it, the worse it'll be. It's really not as bad as people say and there are some pretty easy precautions.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:20 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,096,607 times
Sure bed bugs are around but you can't live life afraid of the "what ifs." Most times I spend multiple nights a week in hotels and have never had an issue. I stick to the chains (Marriott, Hilton) mostly because I accrue points but also because there is a certain level of quality/cleanliness as opposed to staying at Joe Blow's Highway 6 Motel where you don't know what you are getting in to.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:39 AM

986 posts, read 2,032,709 times
The chains are just as susceptible to bed bugs as the small independent places. And quality and cleanliness have absolutely nothing to do with bed bugs. The biggest problem with them has been in New York's upper east side, not exactly the dirtiest of places...

But you are correct, living in fear and not traveling is a bit irrational. There are precautions you can take when you check into a room. Put your bags in the tub or on the bathroom counter. Check the bed for signs of bed bugs (which can be found with a quick google search). If you see signs, inform the front desk that you would like to make other arrangements. If you don't, you're 95% likely good to go.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:19 AM

34,384 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Living a life with the attitude of what if is going to make for a boring uneventful existence.What if you get a mosquito bite or deer fly bite or a tick or..or...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or