Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:08 AM

53 posts, read 147,642 times

Advertisements

I'm taking a trip to france this coming spring... Most of the time I'll be taking the train but I'm not sure if I should rent a car in burgundy to drive to the wineries? I did in Italy because the wineries are far but I'm not sure about burgundy? Some books said do not rent a car in france? Can anybody help me? I really would like to go from Dijon to Lyon (burgundy area) Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 02:50 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
We have rented a car several times in France and never had a problem.
The signage is good and we hardly ever got lost.
I've been to Lyon, but never to any wineries around there.
I would think that you probably do need a car in Burgandy.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:43 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,288,802 times
We rented a car in France. We picked it up after we were done with Paris and drove to Bruges, Amsterdam, Munich, Venice and Rome. Not a single issue during our entire road trip, and our TomTom Gps worked a 1000x better there than it does here, probably because it's a European company that manufactures them. I highly recommend renting a car, you'll see so much more when you explore the countrysides!

Old 01-28-2011, 05:30 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Burgundy is fun, that was where we had a server show us a cow's death certificate to try to convince us to order their steak. We were dying when he did his best English to proudly inform us that it was extra good since it had produces "two veals" in its lifetime. Also met some guys who were really into cheese, scurrying back and forth to the cheese cellar to bring out different ones to show us and demanding we sniff.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:46 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
I don't know why anyone would tell you not to rent a car in France, unless you're staying in the same city the whole trip, which would be a shame. In general you want to make your rental arrangements from here, rather than waiting until you get to Europe. Most of the major car rental companies have European affiliates. Have a wonderful time!

Old 01-29-2011, 12:19 AM

53 posts, read 147,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
We rented a car in France. We picked it up after we were done with Paris and drove to Bruges, Amsterdam, Munich, Venice and Rome. Not a single issue during our entire road trip, and our TomTom Gps worked a 1000x better there than it does here, probably because it's a European company that manufactures them. I highly recommend renting a car, you'll see so much more when you explore the countrysides!

Any recommendation on car rentals?

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2011, 02:13 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,244 times
Not sure why any book would say not to rent a car in France.... ? I've never had or known of a problem there.

Lots of sites give comparisons of companies and prices

Cheap Car Hire France – Car Rental Discount Deals France

CHEAP CAR HIRE France - COMPARE Car Rental France Prices

Old 01-29-2011, 04:24 AM

737 posts, read 2,587,677 times
We rented through Hertz, I think. This was on a fluke, last minute decision to go to Normandy to visit the American Cemetery on July 4th (awesome trip).

Anyway, the rental came with a GPS and we tried to use the GPS w/our tourist French. After a few wrong turns, we finally figured out how to change the language to English.

Definitely rent a car. Whether you do it ahead of time or do it there, there are many to choose from. This is one of the only times we opted for full coverage since driving in Paris is not for the feint of heart.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:08 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Concur on driving in Paris not for faint of heart. BEST is if you do your city visit carless and pick up the rental car on your way OUT of city and going to countrysides which are a lot more fun to drive.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:51 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Concur on driving in Paris not for faint of heart. BEST is if you do your city visit carless and pick up the rental car on your way OUT of city and going to countrysides which are a lot more fun to drive.
Take the train to Dijon and then rent a car. Driving in and around Paris (the dreaded Peripherique) just isn't fun. Driving in France is no problem at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel