Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:45 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
Can I find sleep sacks at Walmart and stores like that?

Also...

How can I make sure that no one steals from my luggage?

I hear that hostels have lockers for its guests. But my bags probably won't fit inside a locker.
Walmart won't have a sleepsack, but REI might.
Get a lock or two for your suitcase/bag/backpack. I have two locks on my backpack because it has two openings. I also have a bicycle type lock to use if I'll be traveling on bus or train. It stops someone from taking the entire bag.

http://www.google.com/search?source=...&oq=sleep+sack

Seriously, if you want one, I've got about 20 of them that I send to my friends when they get deployed.
Let me know and I'll make you a contact. If you send an address, I'll send one out.
I'm out of the country now, but will be back home next Monday, the 28th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 09:35 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:

Does that mean I have to carry my money and passport on my person everywhere I go inside the hostel? In the bathroom? While I sleep?
Yes. Get a moneybelt. Soon, you'll feel naked without it.

But don't always assume a hostel is the cheapest place to stay. Keep checking out local hotels, in many places they are cheaper if you double up in rooms with other travelers. Don't worry about gender, the backpack/hostel travelers are quite accustomed to doubling up whenever it is cheaper to do so, and sex is never implied merely by agreeing to share accommodation costs.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:36 AM

271 posts, read 1,667,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Seriously, if you want one, I've got about 20 of them that I send to my friends when they get deployed.
Let me know and I'll make you a contact. If you send an address, I'll send one out.
I'm out of the country now, but will be back home next Monday, the 28th.
Hey there- I'm interested in purchasing a sleep sack from you. (Unfortunately, there's no REI where I live.)

I'll send you my contact information. Would you be able to send one to me before the end of March?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes. Get a moneybelt. Soon, you'll feel naked without it.
Quote:
I stored the critical things (money, credit card, ATM card, some clothes, etc.) in a locker.
Would it better for me to use a moneybelt than to rely on those lockers at the hostel? I mean- You never know.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:25 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Hey there- I'm interested in purchasing a sleep sack from you. (Unfortunately, there's no REI where I live.)

I'll send you my contact information. Would you be able to send one to me before the end of March?

Would it better for me to use a moneybelt than to rely on those lockers at the hostel? I mean- You never know.
Money belt fits very flat and unobtrusive. Keep your passport, money, credit cards, plane ticket in the moneybelt. Never rely on anyone to hold it for you, locked or otherwise. In the shower, take it in with you, and hang it up high where it won't get wet. Otherwise, wear it. I don't swim, so I can't address that question, but I guess that can be problematic.

Of course, just day to day pocket money, just keep convenient in your pocket or purse, up to say $50 in local currency and a US-20, or whatever you can afford to risk against the obvious convenience of accessibility.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-21-2011 at 10:35 AM..

Old 02-21-2011, 10:39 AM

jericho, incoming.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:10 PM

271 posts, read 1,667,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
jericho, incoming.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:42 PM

Jericho, did you get your package?

Old 03-14-2011, 02:23 AM

3 posts, read 8,444 times
Well its not so bad.its quite cheaper than hotels.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:38 PM

504 posts, read 1,545,059 times
I've stayed in some pretty crazy hostels when I backpacked through Europe. One was a converted horse stable! All the advice on here is really good. I agree with traveling light. You'll regret packing to much and will probably throw some of it out eventually if you do (I certainly did). Some train and bus stations have lockers that you can rent a daily locker in them. I would use those sometimes. I don't know if they do this scam in most places, but some businesses in Italy wouldn't have any prices listed and would have you pay afterwords. I met a guy that got scammed out of $25 for 3 scoops of ice cream that way. I felt so bad for him that he got caught in that trap that I bought a few bottles of wine and we split them. He felt a little better after that. One more suggestion, bring or buy some Woolite (sp?) or some other type if soap that you can use to hand wash your clothes. Paying someone to do all your laundry all the time can drain your money away.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:00 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
Didn't want to create a new thread, so i thought it would be better to put in this one. Any tips or tricks in getting a good room for a hotel/hostel in Europe...in my case Spain? Like getting a room on a higher floor, or one facing a view you prefer, etc. Or am i pretty much at the mercy of what the hotel gives me when i arrive to check in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel