Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 01:47 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,286,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygirlintx View Post
MAK802 thanks! Actually my last flight was to LA in August and there was tons to do. Let's see. I do have a few questions.

1. With the weather in late March. Is sandals and shorts or capris, dresses, usually acceptable during this time? I'm not wanting to pack much or bundle up. How is the San Diego wind? I have been wearing shorts/dresses and flip flops all year so far, it's been unseasonably warm. For the evenings though, you will need a sweatshirt or light jacket as it does get cold as the sun goes down. I still wear flip flops at night, but change into jeans/long sleeved shirt once the sun goes down. And there is no wind here usually, I can't remember the last time it was windy.

2. I'm not looking for an expensive hotel. Something like Hampton Inn or Marriott. Is there a better area to stay in?

I highly recommend bidding on Priceline. I've had several friends recently get the Hilton in Mission Bay for just $60/night. It's an awesome hotel and awesome location. Other good areas are downtown, Gaslamp, and Mission Valley. Tons of hotels there (it's called hotel circle) and it's centrally located. You will need a car, our public transportation sucks and it's a sprawled out city. Again, Priceline. You can get a car for $13/day usually, we've rented a few times when we drove to Vegas/AZ.

3. Love museums and also want to be able to do photography as we both do that on the side. Any great photo ops? La Jolla Cove just might be the most photographed area here. Stunning, stunning beaches and the seals are there. Bring a long zoom to get close ups of the seals. Balboa Park is also quite popular, the architecture is amazing there. I'm huge into photography and go out shooting every single week, it's just so pretty here. I'll post a few pictures at the end of this post so you can see what to expect. Oh, and Sunset Cliffs....it's really beautiful there, especially around sunset!

4. What beach would you recommend to go to..just to walk and get in the sand?

I personally love walking on the boardwalk between Mission and Pacific Beaches. But, those are always crowded. So, Windansea in La Jolla is a local beach, with no tourists (well, til I mention it here! ). Another popular though more touristy is La Jolla Shores, not far from La Jolla Cove, where the seals are. And Coronado has some really nice beaches and is definitely worth a visit.

Oh, I'm willing to listen to any info or thoughts you have. San Diego definitely sounds exciting!
So I answered your questions up above, the bolded part. Here are some photos from the area:

Winandsea Beach, La Jolla:

Pacific Beach:

Balboa Park:

La Jolla Cove:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 02:12 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,218,456 times
Not knowing all your interests or how pregnant you are let me throw in Phoenix + AZ.

March is a great time of year - especially if you like baseball and/or golf .... spring training is in full swing and is a ton of fun.

Also a ton of sporting events (NBA & NHL are in full swing, not to mention the variety of concerts, theater and other stuff that is going on) ... for example, on the 17th flogging molly headlines the st. patricks day festivities in tempe (if you are into such things) ........ while not a museum mecca, there are enough to keep you interested for a stretch, a few of my favorites are The Heard Museum (native american) and Musical Instrument Museum (features music and instruments from the entire globe) .... also there is Frank Lloyd Wrights Taliesen West and the Desert Botanical Gardens are great as well

For 10 days I'd probably split time between Phoenix and the rest of AZ .... check out Sedona and the red rocks, swing through Jerome & Prescott as well ..... then check out the tall pines in flagstaff - will be a bit cooler than in Phoenix, but shouldn't be bad that time of year .... from there you can check out the grand canyon, monument valley, etc

the resorts in phoenix are nice (even if you aren't staying at one - some offer day passes for facilities, all you can pretty much roam and check out the views)

things are pretty inexpensive here as well

if you like photography check out AZ Highways for some examples of what can be found out here
http://www.arizonahighways.com/

you can also check out this page
http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...thread-41.html

I included a photo I took from my room at monument valley - stunning area ....... the grand canyon speaks for itself as well

Old 02-11-2011, 04:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
DC is another spot that is terrific, BUT March can be cold and rainy. It is really fun when kids are ages 10 - 16. Take a month long 'field trip' and bring your bikes.

AZ is fun when the kids are bonkers for swimming pools.

San Diego weather will be nice in March (most likely, in 70's with a breeze = warm enough during day, but chilly after the sun goes down). Not much discussion about Las Vegas, but I go there in March for wildflowers (very iffy season, don't count on it). I spend my time in nearby scenic state parks (including Death Valley, no place for an expectant mother). ... There are also some very accessible places to see wildflowers near San Diego. Desert Wildflower report Southern California by DesertUSA

Old 02-11-2011, 11:59 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,152 times
I agree with others that San Diego would be perfect... it ticks all your boxes!

Old 02-12-2011, 09:18 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,218,456 times
AZ also has some really good wildflowers and cactus blooms ... pinpointing the season is difficult

definitely a lot more than just swimming pools......................

Old 02-13-2011, 07:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
How far along you are is going to make a difference in where you go. If you are past the six month mark, I'd probably choose to vacation someplace fairly close that you can drive to and get back easily enough to your doctor if a problem arises. Keep in mind that air pressure changes can bring on early labor, so you might want to speak with your doctor about flying. Some carriers won't even transport you after seven months.

Just some food for thought.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:39 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,296,878 times
New Orleans or Palm Sprngs.

Unfortunately, way too many people go to Palm Springs just to golf or lay by the poolside. Here's other things of interest:

The Tramway to St. Jacinto Mountain.
Indian Canyons, which includes the awesomely exquisite Palm Canyon, which is a huge cluster of palm trees for miles, with easy hiking. This is on the reservation. One of my favorite attractions.
The Desert Museum in town is pretty decent.
College of the Desert Street Fair (in nearby Palm Desert) is wonderful. I love it!
Living Desert, which is a different type of zoo in a desert setting.
Moorten's Cactus Museum, which is very interesting.

. . . and other stuff. And vacationing in Palm Springs is cheaper than many other places.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:12 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,204,423 times
Southern California. Weather should be beautiful. The hills will be green and flowers starting to bloom. There is lots to do and see in that whole area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel