Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 11:45 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,511,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
A word about Monument Valley. In the summer the hotels book up fast. I'd seriously consider calling them before you arrive to make sure you can get a room. Even the places outside of MV fill up fast. (Lots of European tourists.)

I've stayed at Goulding's. Lot's of emphasis on the John Wayne/John Ford angle of all the movies filmed there. It's a nice place for lunch even if you don't stay there. The dining room has a great view. Or think about the excursions the Navajo's run. They'll take you out onto the valley floor and feed you a BBQ and give you the "John Wayne Experience". (Though, obviously, you can drive around yourself and stop at the visitors center.)
Yeah, when I stayed at Goulding's we got a good deal because it was right around Christmastime(and cold) and the only people staying there were French and German tourists. It's a cool place to stay, and from our window we could see the famous buttes...We actually watched the classic John Wayne flick "the Searchers" in our room, which was interesting when you realize that John Wayne was searching around the same scene we could see from our room for about a decade in that film--although it was standing in for Northern Texas.

But it's definetely a good place to check out---it's amazing how much one landscape has come to define the American West through it's use in films and television.

Last edited by Deezus; 02-17-2011 at 12:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 11:58 PM

35 posts, read 94,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yeah, when I stayed at Goulding's we got a good deal because it was right around Christmastime(and cold) and the only people staying there were French and German tourists. It's a cool place to stay, and from our window we could see the famous buttes...We actually watched the classic John Wayne flick "the Searchers" in our room, which was intersting when you realize that John Wayne was searching around the same scene we could see from our room for about a decade in that film--although it was standing in for Northern Texas.

But it's definitely a good place to check out---it's amazing how much one landscape has come to define the American West through it's use in films and television.
Yeah, I absolutely had it planned into my trip once it was recommended. I never really knew where they were or what they were really called until now or I probably would have already added them initially. It's a great place for pictures, I'm sure it's perfect for sunrises/sunsets as well which is why I want to stay there for the night.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:38 AM

Been doing a lot of planning. I have most days planned out, but it is all subject to change.

Google Maps only lets you have so many destinations, so I had to divide it in half.

Map Part 1
Map Part 2

And here's a rough schedule.

Day 1- Drive to Carlsbad
Day 2- Carlsbad Caverns, Stay at Albuquerque for the night
Day 3- Drive to Four Corners, Stay at Monument Valley for the night
Day 4- Drive to Meteor Crater, Stay at Flagstaff for the night
Day 5- Grand Canyon, Stay at Kingman, AZ for the night
Day 6- Hoover Dam, Valley of Fire SP camping
Day 7- Drive to Las Vegas and wonder around
Day 8- Go to and camp at Death Valley
Day 9- Drive to Los Angeles
Day 10- Another day at Los Angeles
Day 11- Drive up to San Francisco, Winchester Mystery House San Jose, SF for the night
Day 12- Explore SF
Day 13- Alcatraz
Day 14- Drive up Hwy 101, Drive-Thru Tree Park, Camp at Redwoods National Park
Day 15- Drive to Crater Lake NP, Stay the night
Day 16- Camp at Lassen Volcanic National Park
Day 17- Stay at Lake Tahoe
Day 18- Drive Hwy 50 and Salt Flats, Stay in Salt Lake City
Day 19- Drive to Yellowstone, camp
Day 20- Wonder around in Yellowstone, Drive to Cooke City, Montana
Day 21- Drive Beartooth All-American Road, drive to Grand Junction, CO for night
Day 22- Drive Hwy 550 to Durango, Stay for night
Day 23- Drive to Canon City
Day 24- Royal Gorge, Drive to Colorado Springs
Day 25- Pike's Peak, Seven Falls
Day 26-
Day 27-
Day 28-
Day 29- Drive to Lubbock
Day 30- Drive Home

For the most part the route isn't gonna change too much from this, but I'm thinking stuff could be mixed around in CO after Durango. I was thinking a drive up to Denver. Not sure what all there is to do in Colorado. I know it doesn't need to be exactly 30 days and it can go over a bit as well. I might still add Yosemite in there, but we shall see. I also wanted to ride a scenic train route (Durango/Silverton maybe), but that would be another thing to reserve, so I don't know.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:55 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,486,067 times
Definitely do the Durango/Silverton train if you can - it's a fantastic trip! We were in two minds about doing it because it was fairly expensive - but we are now so glad we threw caution to the wind and went ahead with it.

I didn't study your google maps - but my only comment would be that your itinerary seems like a great deal of driving and not much time to spend at each of the places on your list.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:54 AM

Alright, I'll look into the train.

It is a road trip so there's going to have to be a good deal of driving. I'm still working out timing so I spend a decent time at most places. But most places I drive to I plan to wake up early so I can get there by the afternoon and stay all day through the night and part of the next day depending on where I have to go next. For example, I stay at Carlsbad, NM for the first night, go to Carlsbad Caverns early in the morning and stay most of the day. Leave maybe about 3PM if not earlier and take the 5 hour drive to Albuquerque and stay the night there which I would arrive around 8-9 depending if I stopped or there was traffic. I really don't mind the driving at all when I know I'm headed to where I want to go. The driving is half the fun on a road trip anyway. The longest 2 days of driving are dedicated to doing nothing but driving. Maybe the biggest thing that will mess me up is time zone changes...

Old 02-18-2011, 10:44 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
There's an almost-brand-new hotel inside MV called The View. It is owned and run by the Navajo nation. You might want to check it out. I haven't stayed there, but I absolutely would if I had the chance.

The View Hotel is the only hotel inside Beautiful Monument Valley

Old 02-18-2011, 01:23 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,213,292 times
I recently hit a few of those places, including the View Hotel

I don't know - I really don't find a ton that exciting about the four corners ... it's kind of neat, but kind of out of the way ... if only passing through once I would probably avoid it

If it were me, I'd probably toggle it a little bit

Day 3 - Drive to Durango - do the train, drive up to purgatory, walk around town, etc (the most dramatic part of 550 - The Million Dollar Highway is between Durango & Ouray - the train will give you a decent feel, driving just past purgatory will give you a touch more)

Day 4 - Drive from Durango, stop at Mese Verde National Park - proceed to 4-corners ... backtrack slightly to connect to the 191 through southern UT - the reason to do this is because the drive between Bluff & Monument Valley is absolutely amazing on 163, including the mexican hat rock, valley of the gods, etc - stay at Monument Valley area (you would be fairly good anywhere from Bluff to Kayenta)

Day 5 - meteor crater & flagstaff .... if you are maniac and want to add a few hours to your day you could point towards Canyon de Chelly, then hit meteor crater and limp into Flag

Day 6 - resume from your day 5

Day 23 - Grand Junction to Denver - stop at Breckenridge or some other mountain town along the way

Day 24 - Denver to Colorado Springs (Pikes Peak - toll road, cog railway, etc ..... Seven Falls, USAF Academy, etc)

Day 25 - Colorado Springs to Canon City/Royal Gorge - continue onto Great Sand Dunes National Park (never been, but it looks cool ...... and it's a national park which by this point you should have a pass for plus there is camping)

Day 26 - Great Sand Dunes - Toas, NM - Sante Fe, NM .... camp in Sante Fe National Forest

From there you're a solid days drive to Lubbock .... could split it up by heading towards Roswell, Amarillo or some other type place

There are some really nice clusters of things to see and having recently bounced between phoenix, monument valley, durango, albuquerque and back I can attest that the drive around the 4 corners across the res to I-40 is pretty tough excitement .... but 163 was beautiful

Old 02-19-2011, 02:27 AM

Eh, the Four Corners is another interesting stop that won't really take too long. Just to say "Hey I've been in 4 states at once!" I like the idea, but if I have to miss it because of time constraints it's not a big deal.

I like the idea of going to Durango in the beginning of the trip for the train. I went ahead and edited my beginning route like you said. Seems to be a little better. Though I'm not going to drive up 550 then. I still have it in the plans to drive down it from Grand Junction, and then straight back up to Breckenridge. That's a full day of a nice drive I think. I didn't really want to miss half of 550, and I didn't want to drive all the way up to Ouray and then back down to Durango. Stay in Breckenridge, then drive through Denver to Colo. Springs. From Colo. Springs to Canon City. Then a drive down to Antonito, CO and over to Chama, NM (nice drive, rode it when I was up there before), down to Santa Fe and over to Amarillo. I've been to the Great Sand Dunes also when I was up there in '02 before it was a National Park. It's pretty neat, but I might pass it up this time. The road to the park is really cool if you ever go. Completely straight for quite a few miles and you see the dunes way in the distance slowly getting bigger.

Updated and complete itinerary.

Day 1- Drive to Carlsbad
Day 2- Carlsbad Caverns, Stay at Durango for the night
Day 3- Durango/Silverton Train
Day 4- Drive to Vesa Verde National Park then to Four Corners, Stay at Monument Valley for the night
Day 5- Drive to Canyon de Chelly then to Meteor Crater, Stay at Flagstaff for the night
Day 6- Grand Canyon, Stay at Kingman, AZ for the night
Day 7- Hoover Dam, Valley of Fire SP camp
Day 8- Drive to Las Vegas and wonder around
Day 9- Go to and camp at Death Valley
Day 10- Drive to Los Angeles
Day 11- Another day at Los Angeles
Day 12- Drive up to San Francisco, Winchester Mystery House San Jose, SF for the night
Day 13- Explore SF
Day 14- Alcatraz
Day 15- Drive up Hwy 101, Drive-Thru Tree Park, Camp at Redwoods National Park
Day 16- Drive to Crater Lake, Stay the night
Day 17- Camp at Lassen Volcanic National Park
Day 18- Stay at Lake Tahoe
Day 19- Drive Hwy 50 and Salt Flats, Stay in Salt Lake City
Day 20- Drive to Yellowstone, camp
Day 21- Wonder around in Yellowstone, Drive to Cooke City, Montana
Day 22- Drive Beartooth All-American Road, drive to Grand Junction, CO for night
Day 23- Drive Hwy 550 to Durango then up to Breckenridge, Stay for night
Day 24- Drive to Denver and find something to do, Stay at Colorado Springs for night
Day 26- Drive to Canon City, Royal Gorge
Day 27- Drive to Santa Fe
Day 28- Drive Hwy 4 and see Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument
Day 29- Drive to Lubbock
Day 30- Drive Home

I like it, can't wait. I'm gonna see how I can budget it to move this trip up to summer 2012 because 2013 is forever away.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:56 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil3nt611 View Post
Thanks. I'll look into it. Honestly I want to leave today for this trip. Sadly I just don't have the funds right now. Even if it was this summer I'd be happy, but I'm thinking I need to budget $4-5k for this trip and I got a whole $150 saved up right now since I just started last week.

I decided to add a cruise and stop for the night at Monument Valley right after 4 corners. Then head from there to Flagstaff.
That's a lot of driving.

Your itinerary is so packed that you're barely going to have enough time for a drive by in a lot of these places.

Might I suggest that you not have this itinerary etched in stone and do your research, figure out what you really want to see and what you can see if you have time.
If you fit it all in, fine, but you'll feel better if you have a little breathing room built in.
It may rain for a day or two and throw you off or you may love one area and want to stay a bit longer.

Just a suggestion.

Last edited by chielgirl; 02-19-2011 at 02:08 PM..

Old 02-19-2011, 02:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil3nt611 View Post
Updated and complete itinerary.

Day 1- Drive to Carlsbad (long drive)
Day 2- Carlsbad Caverns, Stay at Durango for the night(long drive)
Day 3- Durango/Silverton Train
Day 4- Drive to Vesa Verde National Park then to Four Corners, Stay at Monument Valley for the night
Day 5- Drive to Canyon de Chelly then to Meteor Crater, Stay at Flagstaff for the night
Day 6- Grand Canyon, Stay at Kingman, AZ for the night Out of way, not a great place to visit
Day 7- Hoover Dam, Valley of Fire SP camp
Day 8- Drive to Las Vegas and wonder around
Day 9- Go to and camp at Death Valley (one day is too short)
Day 10- Drive to Los Angeles(long drive)
Day 11- Another day at Los Angeles (takes a good part of a day to drive through and around... Eat @ Phillipie's Philippe's and visit Bienvenidos! Welcome to Olvera-Street.com - culture, and the arts, each at Union Station))
Day 12- Drive up to San Francisco, Winchester Mystery House San Jose, SF for the night(long drive), especially coastline
Day 13- Explore SF(one day is too short)
Day 14- Alcatraz
Day 15- Drive up Hwy 101, Drive-Thru Tree Park, Camp at Redwoods National Park(long drive), especially coastline
Day 16- Drive to Crater Lake, Stay the night(long drive), especially CURVY
Day 17- Camp at Lassen Volcanic National Park (Nice)
Day 18- Stay at Lake Tahoe
Day 19- Drive Hwy 50 and Salt Flats, Stay in Salt Lake City(long drive)
Day 20- Drive to Yellowstone, camp(long drive)
Day 21- Wonder around in Yellowstone, (one day is too short, need (3) traffic is TERRIBLE drive before dawn till 9am, then hike till noon find a place for a nap, hike till 5pm, then drive again, families will be sleeping and eating while you are enjoying wildlife and clear roads)Drive to Cooke City, Montana (be sure to see Tower falls and NE Yellowstone, my favorite, and less crowded)
Day 22- Drive Beartooth All-American Road, drive to Grand Junction, CO for night(VERY long drive), especially mtns
Day 23- Drive Hwy 550 to Durango then up to Breckenridge, Stay for night(VERY long drive), especially mtns Black Conyon of the Gunnison is nice and unique
Day 24- Drive to Denver and find something to do, Stay at Colorado Springs for night
Day 26- Drive to Canon City, Royal Gorge
Day 27- Drive to Santa Fe
Day 28- Drive Hwy 4 and see Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument
Day 29- Drive to Lubbock
Day 30- Drive Home

I like it, can't wait. I'm gonna see how I can budget it to move this trip up to summer 2012 because 2013 is forever away.
Be cautious of too many long drives back to back, consider adding 1-2 'buffer / free' days per week. That said... as a single person, you can drive through the night, AND summer days are long, so you can compress schedule, just PLAN for some downtime. (I spent 2 days sitting around the pool ($5 for a pass) in Death Valley, just to get recharged.) Some days may be cloud covered or rainy and if in Yellowstone or other sites requiring clear skies, you will want to hang around.

Consider a 4 hr raft trip in Tetons / Jackson, WY. It can be a nice way to see the backcountry and get close to wildlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel