Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:01 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Do you really think that everyone would enjoy the same things that you do?
Who are you to question my question? I've travelled in her state and there is so much to see off the beaten path (like going to the crest between Tahoe and Truckee to have a snow ball fight in mid-summer in shorts). Usually if you are a city person, you want to travel to non-city locations (or as you stated being from an Island, you don't want to travel to Islands (Which in your case I think is a bad comparison since the Islands of Hawaii are so different than Sri Lanka). As to Canada I was just asking. I've done the drive from coast to coast in Canada and its not a drive I would've done alone. You just have to choose the right friend to do it with (came back using I90-I80 in US). As to the OP go and do whatever your heart tells to do. Because once career and family come into the picture it may be a long time until the opportunity comes up again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 12:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I would just recomend thast you make sure they know your going somehwere and when to expect you back. You do not want to be reported as missing.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:43 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Who are you to question my question? I've travelled in her state and there is so much to see off the beaten path (like going to the crest between Tahoe and Truckee to have a snow ball fight in mid-summer in shorts). Usually if you are a city person, you want to travel to non-city locations (or as you stated being from an Island, you don't want to travel to Islands (Which in your case I think is a bad comparison since the Islands of Hawaii are so different than Sri Lanka). As to Canada I was just asking. I've done the drive from coast to coast in Canada and its not a drive I would've done alone. You just have to choose the right friend to do it with (came back using I90-I80 in US). As to the OP go and do whatever your heart tells to do. Because once career and family come into the picture it may be a long time until the opportunity comes up again.
Fine, but that's for you. It's not your call to comment on another's choice of holiday.
You weren't just asking; you said, why not go to an island or Alaska if you want something different. Reread your post.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/17920637-post17.html

Old 02-21-2011, 08:54 AM

27,342 posts, read 27,393,359 times
Not that I keep things secret from my family but have been known to be spontaneous, and just jump on a plane or in my truck and just take off for a couple of days, just because. And either once Im en route or already there, I call and let family know.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:54 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Naomi ~

I totally separate vacations to visit family/friends from vacations to visit places. It's common for us to spend several days that's within a few hour's drive from my hometown without ever telling anyone. And there are reasons for that.

I hate mixing the two types of trips. I don't want to go places with my brothers (parents are gone). I do those things either with my husband or by myself. I travel solo a lot.

One time I made the mistake of informing one that we were going to Palm Springs but would not stop on this trip, and the criticism spread through the family like wildfire. It hurt their feelings, and in turn I got angry because they couldn't understand. Therefore, I simply don't tell them a damn thing since then.

However, before you depart, give your itinerary to someone you trust in case of emergency. I do this with our neighbor.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:08 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
i agree with blues...

tell your family, dont tell your family, whatever, but make sure at least 1 person has your itinerary and check in regularly.

you want at least 1 person who 1: has a clue as to where you might be (in case heaven forbid something goes wrong...if everyone thinks your at home, thats where they will be focusing their search...not lord knows where in the middle of nowhere...
2: you need someone who knows if you dont check in that they need to give you a call and possibly take action...
in this case make sure theres a contingency that they give you however long due to the possibility of no cell signal/no pay phones...but if you dont check in for 48 hours for example...they need to check up on you.

im personally the same age as you and planning a solo road/camping trip in the spring...and i think having some kind of check in system and letting at least someone know your general plan as a just in case should be a nessecity for anyone planning a solo trip these days...no matter what your age or sex.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
... I am trying to take advantage of doing a lot of things now that I won't have the time to do as much when I am back in the rat race.

... don't want to tell friends or family where I am going. I would keep in contact with them with my cell phone and email, Good Idea, check messages and reply daily (if possible)

but I want them to still think I am in my apartment in San Diego. Don't lie about it, you're free, tell them you are not home at the moment - be back later ~ days
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Some people might call the police if they keep trying to call you and get no reply. For those kinds of people, just leave a message on their machine before you go saying you'll be out of town for a few days, you'll call when you get back. Common courtesy.
Wise advice for those who may be 'Micro-Managing-you', + an opportunity to get them off your back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
... You do not want to be reported as missing.
No you DON"T want this to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
... It hurt their feelings, and in turn I got angry because they couldn't understand. Therefore, I simply don't tell them ...
However, before you depart, give your itinerary to someone you trust in case of emergency. I do this with our neighbor.
MAYBE someone you really trust to not disclose to a robber or worried parent (until they can reach you).

As a 26 yr old gal, I can see the importance of leaving a traceable route, but I would also want to be able to update my last stop. Surely there is an Ap for that! PRIVATE (but secure) tracking via smart phone.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:15 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Wise advice for those who may be 'Micro-Managing-you', + an opportunity to get them off your back.

No you DON"T want this to happen.

MAYBE someone you really trust to not disclose to a robber or worried parent (until they can reach you).

As a 26 yr old gal, I can see the importance of leaving a traceable route, but I would also want to be able to update my last stop. Surely there is an Ap for that! PRIVATE (but secure) tracking via smart phone.

Oh, definitely! There's few people out there that I really trust. But I've been traveling solo, and trusting my neighbor, for almost 25 years.

I don't do smart phones.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:05 AM

901 posts, read 2,386,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
Right now I work very on call and can make my own hours. I probably won't have a full time set working schedule until August, so I am trying to take advantage of doing a lot of things now that I won't have the time to do as much when I am back in the rat race.

I am a 26 year old female and don't want to tell friends or family where I am going. I would keep in contact with them with my cell phone and email, but I want them to still think I am in my apartment in San Diego.

I don't know why I want to keep these trips a secret. I think it may just be that I want to have something to myself that no one knows about.

The first trip I want to do is a road trip from San Diego to Taos. The second one is a drive from San Diego up the coast to Vancouver (but probably more Washington). I also booked an 8 day stay in Montreal and Quebec at the end of April, but people already know about that.

I have the Premier AAA card, but I don't know how to fix cars or anything. The furthest that I have ever driven solo was from Phoenix to Los Angeles.
If I had to guess, I'd say you are wanting to assert your right as an adult to make decisions for yourself without needing to consult with anyone else about them. Would I be correct? If not, I apologize. It's just that I understand what that's like because I, too, want to be able to go where I want, when I want, without the need to tell anyone what I'm doing. I think what lies at the heart of that is the desire for privacy and true independence. You probably don't feel like you're really "on your own". Do you always feel like you're defending yourself...your actions, beliefs, ambitions, opinions, lifestyle, etc....to others?

Anyway, I'm not sure if I really addressed the issue. As others have said, you don't HAVE to tell anyone you're going anywhere. The thing is, you could be reported as missing - and if so, the police could get involved in searching for you. As an adult, I don't think there is really anything they can do legally (I honestly don't know), but I'm sure we've all heard stories about people who went missing and a search was conducted for them...only to end up finding out the person was okay, but they got charged for either inducing panic or were held responsible for paying the expenses involved in looking for them. Granted, that's not really fair.....adults should be able to "disappear off the face of the earth" if they so choose. But if you really want to go away on your own, without "telling anyone" - then at least maybe let the police know that you will be gone for awhile. If you know how long you will be away, give them an approximate time when you will return. If you don't know when you will return, then tell them that.

Last edited by insightofitall; 02-24-2011 at 09:13 AM..

Old 02-24-2011, 09:50 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,868,828 times
Most big city police departments are not like the post office. They will not take your travel itinery just in case you go missing or if you have an overanxious parent. They'll simply tell you to tell that information to someone you trust, like a neighbor, friend, family member, or employer.

Anyways, I don't know what the big deal is, if the OP checks her voicemail and email at least one a week, it's not like her parents are going to file a missing persons report.

Parents can be noisy, worry warts, etc. as to travel. I remember my mom wanting me to send her a copy of my passport, my itinery, and contact phone numbers for a week's trip to London when I was single and 25 years old. She then proceeded to harass me for the next two weeks for the info and also wanted me to call her when I arrived in England. My roommate had all that stuff, so I didn't need to mail that across the country to make my mom feel better and in control. I don't think I've ever told her any of my vacation plans since then because I just didn't want to deal with any hassles from her (it's tough enough just trying to coordinate your travel plans and packing and stuff).

My friends used to do a yearly drunken Cancun trip in the Spring until they all got married. No one tells their parents (unless they need to borrow some $$$).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel