Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:11 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times

Advertisements

I don't believe it was the flight attendant's intention to leave the kid there until after landing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 07:52 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Common sense will tell you why. It's not padded for babies, they would not be strapped in, their heads are soft and not developed and would be injured. The turbulance, bouncing around during the landing and takeoffs would also damage their heads and maybe arms and legs. They would probably die of oxygen starvation since the compartment door has to remain shut for safety reasons.
You really need to skip the OP post and go to post 5. The posted story leaves too much out. All your assumptions are incorrect and irrelevant. The baby (actually, a toddler) was in no danger.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:30 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You really need to skip the OP post and go to post 5. The posted story leaves too much out. All your assumptions are incorrect and irrelevant. The baby (actually, a toddler) was in no danger.
Was answering post #9, who thinks leaving babies in overhead bins is no problem in general. Or do you think that's wise.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:38 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Was answering post #9, who thinks leaving babies in overhead bins is no problem in general. Or do you think that's wise.
To put a baby in an overhead bin, close it for 10 seconds and open it is not a big deal. Americans are all turning into sissies.

On a side note, just looking at that lady you know shes a nutcase. Her face alone makes me mad.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
To put a baby in an overhead bin, close it for 10 seconds and open it is not a big deal. Americans are all turning into sissies.
It only takes 1 sec for a baby to roll over and fall out onto the floor causing severe cerebral damage, become a paraplegic, or worse, death. So you're saying throw caution to the wind, be irresponsible and that's being a sissy. God help us with such irrational irresponsible degenerational thinking.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:15 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
It only takes 1 sec for a baby to roll over and fall out onto the floor causing severe cerebral damage, become a paraplegic, or worse, death. So you're saying throw caution to the wind, be irresponsible and that's being a sissy. God help us with such irrational irresponsible degenerational thinking.
I find this statement lacking in logic. Babys move relatively slowly and would clearly take longer than 1 second to roll out of the overhead. That doesn't even account for the time for the baby to complete the drop to the ground. I recall someone falling 60 feet would take about a second and-a-half to reach the ground. Assuming that the first 6 feet is acceleration from 0 to 40 - 50 mph I would guess that it would take a good 3 or 4 seconds for baby to roll over and fall onto the floor. Plenty of time to stick your foot out and break baby's fall.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:52 PM

Oh yes, in the perfect world... everybody busy trying to get into their seat, storing luggage, paying attention to only themselves getting situated...

I'm not here to debate stupid irresponsibilties. Too many children are lost every year due to careless adults. End of discussion.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:05 PM

134 posts, read 302,507 times
I'm surprised that the stewardess managed to find foom in an overhead bin for the baby.

Was the aircraft nearly empty?

Old 03-11-2011, 04:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
When I was in school there was no such thing as a snow day. One day, a blizzard hit, and a school bus taking the kids home got stuck. The kids on the bus all had to walk a couple hundred yards to a farmhouse, where they were all fed supper, played games, sang songs, had cake and ice cream, and were put to bed. The emergency mom got on the party line, gave the crank a few turns, and told everybody at once that the kids were safe.

Not one single child died, not one had to be treated by a psychiatrist for the ordeal. For every one of them, I bet that is their favorite memory of their school years.

Yet, in order to protect our precious children from such atrocities, we cancel school every time the sun goes behind a cloud. Get a grip.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:52 PM

134 posts, read 302,507 times
Where I live, we have 'Snow D[el]ays'.

If a foot or so of snow falls overnight, many work places and schools will have a delayed start. - So you can clear the snow from your drive.

People go to work.
Children go to school.

It's only snow. It does snow - usually between October and April.

Life doesn't stop because there is snow on the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel