U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 02:56 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,810,970 times

Advertisements

We will be traveling to Ireland soon for a wedding and decided to make a vacation out of it! We're flying into Belfast, then a couple days in Donegal (bride's family has a house there), then driving along the north coast to Dublin to spend a couple days. Following that is the wedding and then we are driving back to Belfast for our flight home (it was way cheaper than doing 2 one-ways and flying out of Dublin). We are definitely going to visit Giant's Causeway. And the Book of Kells in Dublin. We were advised by our friends to skip the Blarney Stone. Is there anything else we should see that would be nearby? We don't really have time to vear far from our planned route. Also is there any Irish slang or other social things we should know? The only one we know is craic=fun.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can give me!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 03:31 PM

6,985 posts, read 9,380,594 times
The Blarney Stone is way down near Cork. We skipped it too but the other half of the country is good for another trip. Killybegs is a charming town in Donegal and my own personal favorite is Ardara,especially Nesbitt's Hotel and Peter Oliver's pub. Derry is fascinating too. Get a good guidebook. I like Frommer's. Out in the country , don't be afraid to pick up hitchikers. Everyone does it over there (hitches) and you'll pick up useful knowledge.Have a wonderful trip!

Old 03-17-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
The Blarney Stone is way down near Cork. We skipped it too but the other half of the country is good for another trip. Killybegs is a charming town in Donegal and my own personal favorite is Ardara,especially Nesbitt's Hotel and Peter Oliver's pub. Derry is fascinating too. Get a good guidebook. I like Frommer's. Out in the country , don't be afraid to pick up hitchikers. Everyone does it over there (hitches) and you'll pick up useful knowledge.Have a wonderful trip!
I'm not sure where my friend's family's house is in Donegal, but I'll be sure to check out Ardara and Derry if they're close by. My friends talk about going fishing near Donegal and how you can catch fresh scallops and eat them right out of the water! It looks beautiful in their pictures, I'm so excited to see it! I'll keep that in mind about the hitchhikers. We did get a Fodor's book on Ireland and a map in case we get lost while driving. Thanks!

Old 03-18-2011, 12:06 PM

6,985 posts, read 9,380,594 times
Derry is not actually IN Donegal but is nearby depending how you go.Good point about the map. In remote areas the signage is not great and sometimes is only in Gaelic. If you're an Enya fan you can visit the really undistinguished pub her father ran,north of Ardara. IN Ardara, don't miss the nightly music sessions at Peter Oliver's. One time I spent the whole evening there without realizing that the woman next to me, who had been playing the harp as a rhythm instrument, was Moira Brennan , the haunting lead voice of Clannad and one of Enya's sisters. I'm not a big Enya fan but you should definitely pick up some Clannad CD's for the drive. Have a wonderful trip!

Old 03-19-2011, 02:02 PM

13,363 posts, read 38,780,319 times
Two wonderful day trips out of Dublin:

Glendalough
Ancient and atmospheric. You feel the history just walking through the place.

Powerscourt
Simply magnificent. We did not go inside the mansion, we just walked through the grounds and gardens.

We were there in mid-March and only got rained on once.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:26 PM

Thanks eureka, I hadn't even thought about the signs being in Gaelic! In that case our map will really come in handy! And thanks for the suggestions about the CDs.

BlueWillowPlate: Wow, Glendalough looks amazing! I'm really looking forward to all the historic sites. Not sure how much time we'll have to see them all, but we'll definitely try to fit this one in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel