Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 01:16 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,695,847 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm going to Hong Kong in May with a friend who will be joining me a day after I arrive. I'm trying to think up things to do on my first day and have been contemplating doing the Dragon's Back hike/walk. It looks pretty straightforward and easy, but is this a hike I would be ok walking alone? Or should I pay someone for a tour (~$65)? My general idea was to do the walk/hike in the morning and then hang out on the Shek O beach afterwards, so even if I hire a guide I'd have to find my own way back to our hotel. Also, depending on how jet lag hits me I may not even want to do it in the first place, so I'm hesitant to book anything in advance.

Speaking of a hotel, I've found several options, but can't decide which area is marginally better. One is right by the Sheung Wan metro stop and walkable to Central, the other is in Wan Chai closer to the causeway. Which one is better in terms of safety, convenience, nightlife/dining?

Any other suggestions? We'll be there for 5 days, so right now my thoughts are to spend a couple of days in Hong Kong, another to go out to an outlying island (Lantau?), and then maybe a day trip to Macau.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 07:26 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,909,146 times
I can't answer your first question. Depending on how well traversed the route is, you may even find a travelling companion. Try Trip Advisor or some other sites.

We spent about 3 days in Hong Kong in 2006. We stayed in Yau Ma Tei in the Kowloon district, lots of backpacker hostels and cheap hotels in that area.

I would recommend both Lantau and Macau (I actually preferred Macau to HK and I don't like gambling).

Old 03-16-2012, 07:49 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,447,622 times
I haven't done the hike but I would rather do it with someone just to share the experience (Hiking at Dragon?s Back and Tai Tam Country Park - Hong Kong Tourism Board).

Old 03-21-2012, 05:09 PM

491 posts, read 1,646,551 times
I was there in 2009 and stayed in Kowloon. I recommend the Salisbury-YMCA for the biggest bang for the buck. It was better than I thought. The place wasn't fancy like a 5 star hotel but very clean and service was good. The best part about it was the location, the subway was at your doorstep. It has one of the best views of HK harbor too and if you wanted to go to the harbor, the harbor is a 5 min walk. Hong Kong harbor in Kowloon has their own version of Hollywood's walk of fame. You'll see a statue of Bruce Lee. Check the HK harbor and skyline at night, it's like watching CNN World news prelude lol.

Also, shopping is at your doorstep, if you want to go high end shopping such Gucci and such, it's a 5 min walk or so.
If you want to do something by yourself before your friend arrives, you can do the Peak Tram, has awesome views of the skyline, although more fun with company. We also checked out Ocean Park and saw pandas lol.

If you go to Macau, it would be a 35-45 min ferry ride. We stayed at the Venetian and had a blast even if we didn't gamble. They provide a complementary breakfast/brunch with 3-4 different restaurants to choose from. We enjoyed our meals at Fogo Samba and Cafe Deco. If you want to try chinese cuisine, try Canton, we had an amazing dinner there. This hotel has everything, I mean everything

BTW, if you're a guy or with your bf or male companion, give a heads up with the prostitutes here or any of the Macau hotels. They are every where and are in your face aggressive. They will go up to you even if your wife or gf is with you and ask you if you want "service" in Chinese. I don't speak Chinese but you'll get the point, it happened to me on several occasions just walking by the slot machines lol.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:19 PM

14,374 posts, read 14,199,361 times
I would recommend the following:

1. Lantau Island is a good choice. If I remember correctly there is a Buddhist Monastery there that is interesting to visit.
2. The tram ride up to Victoria Peak
3. Take the Star Ferry from Kowloon to Hong Kong Island at night while all the neon lights are glowing in the harbor.
4. There used to be an open air market in Stanley. Not sure if it still there. But was worth visiting.
5. Take at least a day trip to the area of China around Guanchou (Canton). The countryside is very interesting.

Don't forget most people go to Hong Kong to shop and there are plenty of bargains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel