U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 04:50 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,217,358 times

Advertisements

Heading out to India this summer, and I'm thinking about making a 4 day pit stop in Istanbul. It seems like an interesting place, but I don't know too much about it. How is the overall safety? I'm not talking about petty crime or having to worry about my bag getting snatched if i leave it unattended.. I have common traveler's sense. I am thinking more in terms of terrorism/pollitical turmoil and/or violent crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 08:01 PM

6,150 posts, read 6,319,318 times
I was in Istanbul just last week. From what I saw, things seemed normal. I have read that Turkey has a low rate of violent crime.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
I was in Istanbul just last week. From what I saw, things seemed normal. I have read that Turkey has a low rate of violent crime.

Awesome, that didn't take too much convincing. Turkey it is

Old 04-06-2011, 12:33 AM

One concern I do have is that I have read about airplanes being hijacked in Turkey. Is this really a threat? How is Turkish security? Have they stepped it up over the years?

Old 04-06-2011, 03:06 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,906,509 times
I have friends who have visited and loved it.
My sister-in-law returned with a stomach virus, but she still loved it as well.
It's a long ways off, but we're looking at going for summer of 2012.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:58 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,010,926 times
I just got back from Istanbul last month and it felt incredibly safe as well as being a really clean city. The only thing I hate about it is all the guys trying to sell you stuff on the streets and trying to get you to eat in their restaurants. It really does wear thin after a while....

Istanbul is simply a fantastic city and there is so much to see and do. Must sees are of course the Haghia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Suleyman Mosque. Byzantine underground cistern, fabulous Museum of Archeaology, Topkapi Museum, Museum of Islamic and Turkish Art, Hagia Irene ( a small Byzantyne Church which now has a fabulous small archeaological museum in it).

One place I recommend to eat ( the only place in the whole of SultanAhmet where were were never harassed by anyone to come in) is "Sofa" , lovely food ( try the Turkish Salad and Koften cooked on clay tile), lovely staff and also a great place just to chill and have a drink. It is about one minute walk from the Blue Mosque on "M. Mehmet Ağa Caddesi "road.

Also on the street opposite Albura Katishma was quite good but the best thing about it was the amazing Byzantine underground Palace . it forms part of the old Bucoleon Palace now mostly gone which apparently left the crusaders speechless, so rich and luxurious it was.

If you get a chance a cruise up the Bosphorous is also a good thing to do as well as a trip to the Princes' Islands ( Buyukada is the biggest Island a lovely place to spend day).

Public transport in Istanbul is very cheap, efficient and clean and Turkish people are extremely friendly and polite. Turkish food is gorgeous and one of the healthiest cuisines you can have too.

If you wanted somewhere lovely to stay I would strongly recommend Hotel "Sari Konak" which is a small boutique Hotel right in the heart of SultanAhmet. Istanbul Hotel Sari Konak-Boutique Hotel In Istanbul Turkey . It was a perfect place to be and the staff could not have been friendlier and more helpful. It is a renovated Ottoman house and a perfect haven of peace as the street is so quiet ( apart from the omnipresent Muezin sounds from the Blue Mosque).

Old 04-07-2011, 05:16 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,813,489 times
I've been there and will be visiting again...
I was going to suggest that Mooseketeer would be a good person to contact, and here she is.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:22 PM

The sari konak looks like an awesome hotel, but I'm afraid 150/night is going to be a bit out of my price range due to the fact that I'll be budgeting out a 40+ day travel. Do know of any hotels in the 50-60/night range?

Old 04-10-2011, 07:28 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,813,489 times
burgler, here are a few websites that I use:

bedandbreakfast.com
laterooms.com
hotelscombined.com
booking.com
hotels.com
hotel.com (they're different sites)

Good luck.

I saw the whirling dervishes at the last train station of the Orient Express.
It was nice.
When you go to the bazaar, get a card from the shops where you find something, or, just buy it at that shop. You may never find your location again. It's huge and wonderful.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:27 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,685,128 times
I am going to be in Istanbul for a layover just one night....can anyone recommend a nice hotel near the airport???? Never been to Turkey before.....might have some time to adventure out but I doubt it because I will probably have jetlag...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel