Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:06 AM

496 posts, read 1,250,835 times

Advertisements

we do a few vacations a year, the main one usually being going overseas to visit family, then travel in neighboring countries. this year, we're wanting to do a tropical vacation. we have never been on one. aruba seems to be the easiest most accessible one for new yorkers.
we have 2 kids, age 5. we're looking for an all inclusive hotel, clean, nice, family friendly near the beach. anyone has any recommendations for us? also, what do you use when you book travel agent or specific websites etc. anything you can help me plan this getaway would be great. time of travel does not matter, so please suggest what is the best time as well.
a little about us: easy going, love the beach, good food, quiet place, we're not big drinkers etc. our kids love the beach, playing in sand, pool, and shopping (well i do, they will learn to love it eventually
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 01:19 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,734,844 times
I would think there are many destinations that would suit your family without supporting the corrupt colonial government that didn't give a damn about Natalee Holloway. Whichever you choose,have a great trip.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:49 AM

359 posts, read 1,143,732 times
Hi I am from Aruba, now living in NC. Please ignore the reply above.
Aruba will be a fantastic trip for you and your family!
If you are looking for all-inclusive resorts, the best ones are The Tamarijn Aruba Beach Resort, the Divi Aruba Beach Resort, and the Holiday Inn Sunspree All inclusive. All three are directly on the beach and have very nice facilities. I have a special place in my heart for the Tamarijn though, I used to work there and kids stay free.
You can book reservations through their direct website or look for packages through travel whole sale companies that will include your airfare and transportation from and to the airport as well.

Last edited by darling876; 01-27-2010 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: took out some wording to stay friendly.. ;)

Old 01-28-2010, 09:00 AM

9 posts, read 42,238 times
Default Aruba!!

I have been to Aruba twice: once in 2000 for honeymoon and again 2007 with two kids ages 1 and 4.

With kids, we stayed at the Holiday Inn and it was perfect. My 1 year old got sick the day after we arrived. Him and my wife ended up spending a night at the hospital. Hospital was great in taking care of my son. Hotel was great in accommodating our situation. The provided pillows and sheets, food, etc for me to take to the hospital for my wife. They removed all phone call charges back home and to insurance company as well. My son got better after 3rd day and we still and 10 more days which were very nice.

I have read reviews of the other two places, and would personally not stay at either.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:37 PM

496 posts, read 1,250,835 times
jacksonjohn83
i am reading the reviews as well and i am so confused. some people loved the tamarinj and some hated. i haven't read on the holiday inn so i am about to start the research on that one.
thanks so much. i am really looking forward to a vacation of doing nothing just making friends with the sun and the beach

Old 01-29-2010, 12:31 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,283,744 times
When we went 2 yrs ago, we stayed at the Marriott Stellaris Resort. At that time, we lived in Jersey and flew out of NY. Although we have no kids, the plane was full of people with kids, and it turned out that most of them were at our hotel. The hotel is at the end, so you're away from the huge crowds, pool area is nice, calm, private beach that's perfect for kids, and tons of kids to play with. I highly recommend it for those with children.

And we went during September, so most of the kids looked to be under 6 since school had already started. The weather was perfect every single day and there were days that we had the entire beach to ourselves!

Old 01-29-2010, 07:38 AM

50 posts, read 570,904 times
My husband and I visited Aruba back in 2005. I know that a LOT of people who LOOOVE Aruba and go back time and again...for me...not my cup of tea. It was a VERY expensive trip (once we were on the island). There are a ton of fabulous restaurants to eat at all over the island, so some say going All-Inclusive is a waste. However...many of these restaurants are pretty pricey (even when compared to US Restaurants).

The water on Palm Beach (near the High Rises) is very calm, would be great for smaller children. However...in the High Rise area, you need to know that there are A TON of people. A lot of the hotels there will make you stand on line at 5AM just to reserve a palapa on the beach! That's ridiculous to me! Some of those same hotels even have you PAY MONEY to reserve a palapa (or to reserve one in the first row, second row, etc)

Your other option would be to stay on Eagle Beach. Not nearly as crowded, but the water here does tend to get some bigger waves...nothing outrageous, but we had to literrally jump the waves in order to get out into the water.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a trip to Aruba...it is a beautiful island and I'm sure you'd have a great time there. But I'll just throw out this suggestion...look into the Playa del Carmen area of Mexico. It's about 45 minutes south of Cancun. Now...don't be scared of "Cancun". This part of the Yucatan is completely different than the Cancun Party Scene! Crystal Clear Blue Water, many, MANY All-Inclusives to choose from, from low-end to High-End. A ton of activities and excursions to choose from. A much better "Cultural Experience" than what I found in Aruba. The Riviera Maya area of Mexico is VERY Family-Oriented. Just a few All-Inclusives you'll find in Mexico that are very family-friendly: Iberostar; RIU; Barcelo; Sandos.

Good luck on your trip planning!

Old 11-29-2011, 02:03 PM

746 posts, read 1,242,147 times
We quit smoking and with the money we saved we went to Aruba. Our trip was absolutely amazing, we stayed at the Divi in an Oceanfront room. 10 steps from the sand. The people and the place was wonderful.

Last edited by Sky1; 11-29-2011 at 02:15 PM..

Old 11-29-2011, 02:43 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,171 times
I went to Aruba recently for my honeymoon back in August and it was amazing! Even though we stayed at an adults only resort there is plenty of kid friendly places. I think the high-rise section may have the most activities for your kids but there are some resorts in the low-rise sections that have many kid activities as well.

And yes ignore the poster about the corrupt colonial government. Aruba is a very friendly place...people honk there cars at each other all the time and its the equivalent of waving hi lol

Old 11-30-2011, 12:06 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,734,844 times
Spend your money where you like. We now have a SECOND American citizen disappeared/murdered under peculiar circumstances and the fumblebunnies in the Aruban justice establishment don't seem to be able to deal with it. There are many choices, one of which is to keep your $$ at home and visit PR or the US Virgins, not to mention Hawaii. Just sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel