U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,058 times

Advertisements

Please help! We want to see these two sights, but are not keen on staying in NY city. I am on a limited budget, would be flying into somewhere (CT? NJ?) and renting a car or using city transportation (preferred). We're from Michigan and have never been to that area. Seeing these two sights would be the main objective for a four day weekend. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 10:09 AM

9,130 posts, read 17,171,427 times
You can get to Liberty Island/Ellis Island from NJ, Liberty State Park. Lots of parking, also NJ/liberty science mus is there. Keep im mind that most people (in 1800's) departing Ellis island went to NJ and got on trains there only a small percent of them went into NYC. The Old train station (now abandoned) is still there. Its about 15min drive from Newark Airport to Liberty State park.

Department of Environmental Protection

Ticket for ferry to NPS = Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island - Official Tickets & Tours - Guaranteed Lowest Price

Liberty Science Center = Liberty Science Center | Home

Last edited by Crew Chief; 04-26-2011 at 04:32 AM..

Old 04-19-2011, 10:32 AM

9,130 posts, read 17,171,427 times
Update... Looks like they have fixed up the train station since I was last there. Trains don't run there. Depending on whatelse you plan to do, A Car will be needed. If you stay in NYC, you dont want a car then. Subway/bus work great (you can get to LI.ELL) from NYC Battery park.
But what else is planed for your 4day? Liberty/Ellis Islands are 1 full day total to do them right.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:29 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,900,220 times
Fly to Newark and stay in Linden or Rahway. I had a rate of under $100 in that area for Hampton Inn. The train is like $6 each way to NYC, or you can drive to the Park on the Jersey side to catch the boat. GO EARLY!

Old 04-19-2011, 05:33 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,429,036 times
I'm from Jersey and wouldn't stay in Linden or Rahway if my life depended on it! Stay in Jersey City, but in a nicer area not the ghetto JC. There are really nice hotels right near the PATH (Journal Square) that will take you right into the city. And, to get to the statue, you can just go to Liberty State Park, which isn't far from Journal Square and quite possibly the best place to see it on the Jersey side.

If you have cash, I'd spring for Hoboken instead. No shady areas there at all, unlike Jersey City which is crime capital really no matter which area you stay in. Hoboken has a nice, clean PATH without the shady passengers from JC. And some really great restaurants to boot!

We go several times a year, since both of our families are there and my husband's job as well. I stay with my mom in Clifton, which is another great option since you can take NJ Transit to Hoboken and the PATH into the city. I, however, always rent a car and drive into the city. Having lived in Jersey for over 20 years and making that drive week after week, I know where to find the free, legal parking. It's not as hard as people make it out to be! Nutley, Secaucus, and Montclair are other options. From all these places, you can get to JC and or NYC and get to the statue.

Really, any city in North/Central Jersey will get you to the city. Most people work in NYC and rely on public transport. If you don't mind being farther away, some really cute neighborhoods to consider are Summit, Maplewood, Upper Montclair, and Morristown. Lots of great restaurants and very safe, walkable streets.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:31 PM

303 posts, read 657,202 times
FyYI the statue is IN JC territory not ny. Its better to go from Liberty State Park than from ny, closer to us. Plus, if you see any memorabilia with ny on and statue of liberty..its FAKE!!!

Old 04-19-2011, 10:06 PM

3,012 posts, read 5,325,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC1990 View Post
FyYI the statue is IN JC territory not ny. Its better to go from Liberty State Park than from ny, closer to us. Plus, if you see any memorabilia with ny on and statue of liberty..its FAKE!!!
To the op stay in nyc. Going back and forth from nj to new york is too much of a hassle and if you stay in nyc u wont need a car.

To JC. The statue of liberty was a gift giving to america via NEW YORK not jersey. Jersey should find another nyc landmark to steal. Nobody associates the statue of liberty(located in NEW YORK HARBOR) with jersey

Old 04-19-2011, 11:25 PM

2,650 posts, read 5,165,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Going back and forth from nj to new york is too much of a hassle and if you stay in nyc u wont need a car.
That all depends on where you stay in NJ.
Come on KONJ, haven't you found another outlet to express your feelings of inadequacy by now? You've been on this site for years with the same old shtick. It's a pathetic display.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:32 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,429,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
To the op stay in nyc. Going back and forth from nj to new york is too much of a hassle and if you stay in nyc u wont need a car.
It's about as much of a hassle as getting to Manhattan from Brooklyn or Staten Italy. Most people in North and Central Jersey work in NYC and commute daily without issues, surely one can do so for a week's vacation!

And, something else to consider...NYC has the highest bed bug rate in the country. It's actually not advisable to stay in NYC hotels, unless you feel like bringing some critters home!

Last edited by MAK802; 04-20-2011 at 08:42 AM..

Old 04-20-2011, 11:56 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,900,220 times
I should add I've stayed in Linden more than 30 days over many visits. Never had a problem. Its a working class town. Much cheaper than NYC and safer than Newark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or