Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:52 AM

5 posts, read 6,964 times

Advertisements

Best Abroad Vacation Destinations

I'm looking to go on a trip this summer (abroad), and have traveled a lot, and I don't know where I want to go next. I am open to designing my own trip or using a tour.
What vacation destinations have you traveled to, enjoyed (or not), what was special about them, and what would you recommend or not recommend? It's all subjective, although interesting.

I'm pretty much open to anyplace outside of the U.S. (except Canda, where I have also traveled extensively). My guess is that there are places, or things to do that I have not done, nor have even heard about. It's a big world, and I'd like to take a trip that is interesting, a bit different, and find places or things I did not know about.. II do not fluently speak another language other than English. I am over 50 but will be traveling with a younger companion, so it's not an age-related trip.Where have you traveled to, why did you like it, what were special places, and maybe hidden out-of-the-way places that one might not be aware of for that place? Any interesting "odd" things -- such as the "ice hotels" in places or going to Central America and counting sea turtles?
I am not concerned about price at this point, more just exploring various options. Recently, I have considered Greece, Spain, India, Peru and China. I don't feel a draw to any particular place, so that is why I'm asking what other people's experiences have been like. I'm open to all ideas.
Thanks for feedback!

Last edited by MB2; 04-22-2011 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: wrong format text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 12:55 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Your post is impossible to read.

What are you interested in; what do you like?

Old 04-19-2011, 01:20 PM

Your post is impossible to read.

I know. I didn't know how to fix it, so I found the moderator for that board. Sorry, I know it's bad.

We like to do outdoors things, cultural/art stuff, music, museums, boating (but not looking for a cruise), explore and discover new things, learning....kind of typical, I guess. No specific hobby like bicycling or collecting stamps or stuff. Birds -- that's something. We like birds.

Beaches are nice, mountains nice, love cities, nooks and crannies. I know it sounds simplistic, but we're just kind of looking for something maybe we don't know about, or a place one wouldn't think of. I thought of checking out staying at old convents, or those ice palaces. We were thinking of Eastern Europe, too.

I wish I felt pulled to one place, but I don't, that's why I'm asking about other ideas -- it might spring some new ones for us.

Thanks for asking.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:13 PM

Thank you to Moderator, MB2 for cleaning up my first thread posting mess! Now folks can actually read it. Thanks again!

Old 04-22-2011, 03:40 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,269 times
Just a few suggestions, but you really need to tell a bit more about what you would like to see on your trip...

Italy (endless list of things to see and do, from Alto Adige to Sardinia)
Scotland, Ireland (history and gorgeous nature)
Turkey (endless list of things to see and do all over the country)
Japan (Kyoto, Okinawa)
Ecuador (and Galapagos Islands)
Chile (and Easter Island)

Last edited by Miaiam; 04-22-2011 at 03:54 PM..

Old 04-22-2011, 04:13 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I second the Galapagos Islands in Ecuador.
Another option I suggest is Israel which has history, culture, beaches, nature and very friendly people.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:42 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
If you're interested in Museums, all of the capitals of Europe. St Petersburg, Russia is perfect for that.
Vienna, London, Paris, Berlin, Dresden, Florence, Munich, Rome, Venice...
Italy might be a good starter country.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:38 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,693 times
I'm sending DW on her trip of a lifetime in December - a month visiting Nepal, Tibet and Bhutan. Its a different world compared to our usual European trips. You can check it out at Overseas Adventure Travels. Cascais, Portugal is another destination if you haven't been there, we go back as often as possible. Portugal is a lovely country and has a lot to enjoy.

A self directed train tour anywhere in Europe is high on our favorites list. We never get tired of visiting the smaller European towns, its just delightful. I can recommend a St. Petersburg/Moscow river cruise very highly. Russia is extraordinarily friendly to Americans and has some delightful people and wonderful attractions.

The list goes on , happy travels.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:04 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
Default hmmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Just a few suggestions, but you really need to tell a bit more about what you would like to see on your trip...

Italy (endless list of things to see and do, from Alto Adige to Sardinia)
Scotland, Ireland (history and gorgeous nature)
Turkey (endless list of things to see and do all over the country)
Japan (Kyoto, Okinawa)
Ecuador (and Galapagos Islands)
Chile (and Easter Island)
Japan right now....hmmm....don't think it's the best of times...don't forget
your iodine!
And as for the Galapagos...they have a huge problem with mass tourism, it's a fragile ecological biotope, people should avoid going there, besides the cruises in the Galapagos are awfully expensive (like 2000 $ a week, plane fares from the mainland and tourist tax (200$ per person I believe)
not included....

Old 04-26-2011, 06:06 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
And as for the Galapagos...they have a huge problem with mass tourism, it's a fragile ecological biotope, people should avoid going there, besides the cruises in the Galapagos are awfully expensive (like 2000 $ a week, plane fares from the mainland and tourist tax (200$ per person I believe)
not included....
I very much agree with this. I know much of the damage was already done in the past, and that tourism has brought a lot of money to Ecuador's economy, but at what price? There are similar options elsewhere for a great experience, why go somewhere at the expense of its ecology just to put it on your 'been there done that, got the t-shirt' list. But that's just my personal take on it, I know others feel differently.

A few favorite experiences of mine:
Brittany, France
The natural beauty was amazing, and the coastline quiet and uncrowded.

Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
The people were friendly, the lake was beautiful. Tikal was another wonderful visit.

Peroulades, Corfu, Greece
I felt as if we had stumbled into another world. We had an entire beach to ourselves.

By the way, if you want to count sea turtles, come to my neck of the woods in north Florida. We have many little sea turtle babies here every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel