U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 08:13 AM

8,270 posts, read 5,498,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
travelling with a close friend or family member can get old/irritating after awhile
I can agree with this. I love my wife but after a few weeks of going everywhere together there will be some blowup unless we spend time apart.

We've learned this so make time to have our space. She'll spend a day hitting local markets and I'll go see whatever site she isn't interested in, or she'll spend the day putzing around the guesthouse reading and I'll find a cafe/bar to sit outside people watching, etc.

I think it would kinda suck traveling alone, and we often make a point of asking single travelers staying near us to join us for dinner and beer one night or go see something together one day. We've met lots of nice people that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 08:31 AM

24,693 posts, read 15,670,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I can agree with this. I love my wife but after a few weeks of going everywhere together there will be some blowup unless we spend time apart.

We've learned this so make time to have our space. She'll spend a day hitting local markets and I'll go see whatever site she isn't interested in, or she'll spend the day putzing around the guesthouse reading and I'll find a cafe/bar to sit outside people watching, etc.

I think it would kinda suck traveling alone, and we often make a point of asking single travelers staying near us to join us for dinner and beer one night or go see something together one day. We've met lots of nice people that way.
Yes I find that tends to happen when you're travelling alone. I enjoy the freedom of travelling alone, being able to do things on your own watch, but it can get lonely at times.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:01 AM

14,648 posts, read 16,109,624 times
Quote:
...but I also enjoy it because it's a more social experience (travelling solo can be lonely at times, and travelling with a close friend or family member can get old/irritating after awhile).
I see you have never gotten stuck with someone who is a constant complainer. One year we took a cruise where you sit at the same table for every meal and the lady across the table from me griped and complained CONSTANTLY about EVERYTHING. It was all I could do not to kick her under the table a few times. LOL

We also had a single lady who latched on to us and would NOT leave us alone. That wasn't such a bad thing, but she was a very bossy woman and was always trying to tell us where to go and what to do. We are nice people and since she was much older than us, we felt it would be rude to tell her off, so we got to the point where we would HIDE from her rather than have to deal with her bossy, controlling nature. It was NOT a fun experience, at all.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-30-2011, 01:52 PM

24,642 posts, read 13,502,241 times
Quote:
I've always enjoyed traveling alone.
The nice thing about traveling alone is that you meet more people than you do if 2 or 3 are traveling together. I see it as looking outward when you're alone and looking inward when there are 2 or more, somewhat cocooning.

That said, today I was a tour guide in Prague. We had a great time and hit the highlights of old town and saw the cathedral and palace. I've been there so often that I would hope I could give a tour.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:00 PM

14,243 posts, read 11,116,048 times
Its tough to say, I usually leave alone, but end up meeting somebody there. I think it goes both ways though, traveling alone can get very isolating, but at the same time it can be very nice too. That being said, I don't think I'd want to be completely alone and not be meeting up with anyone there. I've done it in some cities, and I think the experience isn't as good.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
That said, today I was a tour guide in Prague. We had a great time and hit the highlights of old town and saw the cathedral and palace. I've been there so often that I would hope I could give a tour.
I like Prague too, it is great one you can cover so much on foot there. I think last time there the only tourist site we took transportation to was the bus to Terezin.

As an indication of my shallow character one of my favorite things is that museum of medieval torture devices near the bridge.

Next time wife and I around that way I'll PM you, dinner/drinks are on us.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:22 AM

24,642 posts, read 13,502,241 times
Quote:
I like Prague too, it is great one you can cover so much on foot there. I think last time there the only tourist site we took transportation to was the bus to Terezin.

As an indication of my shallow character one of my favorite things is that museum of medieval torture devices near the bridge.

Next time wife and I around that way I'll PM you, dinner/drinks are on us.
I'd love that!
I move in November

Have you tried the torture museum in Rothenberg?
It's nicely displayed.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:06 AM

16,623 posts, read 12,921,127 times
i guess it depends on the quality, and the flexibility, the restrictions, and all the other little details. Cruise ships are not for me.

i don't mind the idea of a local guide, but I am not big on pre-packaged, pre-paid sort of vacations, that lack flexibility. Vacations are an opportunity to be whimsical, and I like to make my own choices.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:37 AM

24,693 posts, read 15,670,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I see you have never gotten stuck with someone who is a constant complainer. One year we took a cruise where you sit at the same table for every meal and the lady across the table from me griped and complained CONSTANTLY about EVERYTHING. It was all I could do not to kick her under the table a few times. LOL

We also had a single lady who latched on to us and would NOT leave us alone. That wasn't such a bad thing, but she was a very bossy woman and was always trying to tell us where to go and what to do. We are nice people and since she was much older than us, we felt it would be rude to tell her off, so we got to the point where we would HIDE from her rather than have to deal with her bossy, controlling nature. It was NOT a fun experience, at all.

20yrsinBranson
You haven't met my family, and as much as I love them, travelling with them isn't always a bed of roses!

Yeah I know the type...although for every 10 travelers I meet maybe only one is like that. Sometimes it only takes a few minutes to know.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
You haven't met my family
Entire family traveling together takes it to a new level of potential bloodletting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel