U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 08:07 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,764,725 times

Advertisements

I made mention of documenting a checklist of things to do or bring before heading out on a road trip. I drove from Boston to Charlotte in about 16 hours. While for the most part uneventful, I realized there were several scenarios I just wasn't prepared for. The scenarios were solidifed as I saw a few stranded folks and some families, who fortunately had help repairing their vehicles.

Get a good tune up-something beyond just the fluids check. I did a jiffy lube fluids and tire check. Had I gone back and gotten a full tune up and systems check, I would have discovered a transmission issue. This transmission issue presented a problem in Virgina at sunset. Fortunately, I was able to keep going and made it to Charlotte 5 hours later. It could have been a different story.

Make sure you have extra fluids (washer, oil, transmission, coolant). There's no telling what hose might break or leak. I had a nasty thought of the Jiffy lube folks not putting enough oil in. It might make the difference of being able to make it to a service station or waiting for AAA on the side of highway

Make sure the spare tire, jack, and flash light are in the trunk (and you know how to change a tire). Also bring along your flares.

Make sure you've got your owners manual. It sounds silly but I needed to look something up, and realize I didn't have it in the glove compartment.

Travel during daylight hours. Obviously this is subjective and I didn't think of this until I had some troubles in Virginia at dusk. I immediately thought about all the service stations that were probably closing, and the pain it's going to be to resolve this (if need be) while it's getting dark. It's far easier to walk down the side of the road during the day and find help, and get your car to a service station during day light hours. The downside is you lose the driving time during the night. I drove straight through- however I was by myself, if I were with my family, I definitely would have stopped off with family along the way or minimum a hotel.

Consider using premium gas. It just burns better and the car or SUV handles a lot smoother, particularly when your crusing for hours 75+ miles/hour.

Feel free to add to the list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2006, 09:09 PM

152 posts, read 441,057 times
That's great advice Miker, leaving for Greensboro from NY in the early (way too early) A.M., and I will tell my husband to make sure we have all the necessary fluids for the truck with us. Thanks

Old 08-28-2006, 09:27 PM

414 posts, read 1,270,836 times
Just one word for me

ONSTAR

Old 08-29-2006, 02:17 PM

15,564 posts, read 36,558,485 times
I'll be traveling with my young son and my pet parrots in the car from CA to TX very soon. I was wondering how do I find out which hotels/motels are bird friendly? I'm probably just going to pay a visit to AAA on one of my lunch hours to see if I can find out this info. I've had people tel me to just leave the birds in the car overnight, but I wil not do that. What if my car is stolen? Then my birds - who are like my babies - will be gone!

Old 08-29-2006, 02:45 PM

286 posts, read 1,532,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I had a nasty thought of the Jiffy lube folks not putting enough oil in.
A lesson I learned was to check to make sure whoever did the oil change puts the cap back on. I had my truck's oil changed at Fletcher's then went on a road trip all over S/E Arizona. A couple weeks later I decided to go somewhere again so I went to check my oil and thank goodness I did. There was only about three quarts of oil in my truck! Fortunately the cap was still laying next to the battery.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:38 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,653,691 times
http://www.petswelcome.com/

Old 08-29-2006, 10:18 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,371,828 times
Default Travel Tip

Excellent site christina0001!

Twinkle Toes: Couple of suggestions on traveling from CA to TX.

Take at least 2 days to get here. Also, check your tires. I almost had a blowout when traveling between Yuma and Tuscon AZ. Real fun changing a tire in 115 degree weather! If you have regular AAA protection, upgrade to Plus plan so you get 100 miles of free towing instead of usual 3 miles.

Also, this made sound stupid these days, but buy a cheap CB radio. If you do not have ON STAR or your cell phone doesn't work in a dead air area, a CB can come in handy (truckers still use them).

Old 08-30-2006, 01:11 AM

2,814 posts, read 12,074,645 times
Default Bird Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I'll be traveling with my young son and my pet parrots in the car from CA to TX very soon. I was wondering how do I find out which hotels/motels are bird friendly? I'm probably just going to pay a visit to AAA on one of my lunch hours to see if I can find out this info. I've had people tel me to just leave the birds in the car overnight, but I wil not do that. What if my car is stolen? Then my birds - who are like my babies - will be gone!
I think the travel advice was excellent. I had new tires put on my truck with new windshield wipers plus all fluids checked before I left Las Vegas and drove to Missouri. As for driving from California to Texas, I drove that route through Kingman, Flagstaff, Albuquerque, and then through Amarillo. I stopped for gas in Flagstaff and Albuquerque and stopped for the night in Amarillo. I had two cats with me and I couldn't find a motel that accepted animals and I didn't know my way around. So... I checked into one that had cheap rates and smuggled my cats in when no one was peeking. My luck...the older cat decided to sit in the windowsill and I had to keep pulling him back behind the closed curtains... The next morning I checked out by first smuggling the cats back out. I paid cash for the room so when the maid found the litter bag in the garbage and realized I'd had animals, there was no way they could charge me. I left while it was still dawn and then drove across the panhandle into Oklahoma, through Oklahoma City, then joined 44 (toll road ) which then took me to Joplin, Missouri and eventually Springfield. I'd just smuggle the birdies into the room Twinkletoes.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:22 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,349,725 times
As recent news stories have shown; do some research on the areas you will travel through/to. Especially concerning the weather and types of animals you may encounter enroute. Pack your vehicle with the appropriate survival gear. Many areas of the Southwest are prone to flash flooding during rain storms; those gullies can fill with rushing water before you know it.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:29 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,911,600 times
All great advice. I just drove 2200 miles from NM to PA and although I had done a good check-up; oil change, I have an old car and the transmission went in Oklahoma City.

So, what to do in a strange city? I was compelled to go to the dealership, and have it repaired. If I had been local, I would have trashed the car, but instead I replaced it and the clutch.

Now I have an old car that travelled many a mile, saw plenty of good sights, and was renamed "Road Warrior" by my children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or