Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 06:05 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times

Advertisements

The Excalibur in Las Vegas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 08:00 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Clark Park--you really liked the Waldorf? I thought it was perhaps one of the most overpriced, overrated hotels I've ever stayed in!
I think you are correct. I should have qualified my statement that I stayed in the Waldorf Astoria Towers, which is more upscale than the rest of the hotel and has private check-in and check-out in a hidden exclusive "lobby" in the lower level. I stayed in a room near the apartment of the widow of Gen. Douglas MacArthur - I met her - charming lady! Also a "neighbor" of mine
was former First Lady of The Philippines Imelda Marcos: she was surprisingly friendly, but I couldn't take my eyes off her stiff shellacked hair, styled in a "flip." I swear in a hurricane with 175 mile winds every hair on her head would still be in place!!!

Old 05-26-2011, 08:32 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
The Sahara Hotel in Santa Ana, El Salvador.

Nice/Luxurious: full-length rooftop deck with lots of tile, potted plants, sitting areas.

Nicer/more luxurious: a spacious balcony to boot!

And only $30 a nite! Rated: 4-star.

Any hotel that can't provide a balcony and rooftop deck is not a nice place to stay, IMO!

Old 05-27-2011, 01:09 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
Probably number one on my list is the Hotel Duque de Najere in Rota Spain. It is located on the beach in the old part of town. I like staying there in the winter when only the locals are around.

Next would be the Hotel Christine (http://www.hotel-christine.com/english/index.htm - broken link) in Landstuhl, Germany.

I am giving Honorable Mention to the Holiday Inn at the Baltimore airport. It is your typical airport Holiday Inn. What made it special to me is when I stayed there I had some pretty major problems which warranted me contacting the hotel GM. Usually when a hotel manager says "What can we do to make it up to you" they are really saying is "we might give you a free breakfast...take it or leave it". When the GM offered me a full refund on the room, I declined as I was not paying for it. He then offered me a prepaid Visa card worth 200 dollars. Again I declined as I really was not looking to profit from the problem. He then asked what I wanted. After some thought I told him there was not really anything. He asked one last time so I told him he could try to get me out of my middle row seat on my flight home in a couple days. A little later I checked on my flight. My seat had changed from the middle row to an aisle seat.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:41 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I think you are correct. I should have qualified my statement that I stayed in the Waldorf Astoria Towers, which is more upscale than the rest of the hotel and has private check-in and check-out in a hidden exclusive "lobby" in the lower level. I stayed in a room near the apartment of the widow of Gen. Douglas MacArthur - I met her - charming lady! Also a "neighbor" of mine
was former First Lady of The Philippines Imelda Marcos: she was surprisingly friendly, but I couldn't take my eyes off her stiff shellacked hair, styled in a "flip." I swear in a hurricane with 175 mile winds every hair on her head would still be in place!!!
I've stayed in the Towers as well. Still unimpressed.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:36 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,813 times
The Banyan Tree Bangkok was pretty cool. we got upgraded to a suite when hubby took me for my 40th. and dinner at Vertigo was amazing.....

The Intercontinental Marina Drive Mumbai was very nice too. an amazing roof top pool and bar. It was buzzing every night....
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/interco...ai-marinedrive
Attached Thumbnails
Nicest hotel you've ever stayed at?-vertigo-bar.jpeg  

Old 05-27-2011, 05:42 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
Default The Shoreham

in Washington DC in 1980. maybe not the most posh but i happened to love it, i knew nothing about hotels being 18 at the time

Old 05-27-2011, 10:13 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I like to stay in unusual places, like BandB, I stayed once in a mental hosptial that had been turned into a hotel, outside of Portland, OR, it had fantastic murals painted on the walls, and a delicious ghost story about previous patients who haunted the hotel. It was cool.

Another fantastic find was a small ranch in Montana on a lake, it had several cottages in the woods, beautiful, with a main lodge for meals. The chef was from CIA, with the best meals I have ever had, fantastic, made with fresh, local produce. I caught some fish, and they cooked them for dinner for the entire group.

The last find was a little ski lodge in Utah, right off the slopes, with dorm style rooms, everyone staying there was from Europe, and I met some terrific people. After skiing we all hit the hot tub, drank beer, ate pizza--could life be any better?

Oh yes, and I have stayed at some boring hotels, like Mandalay Bay in Vegas, and Grand Floridian in Disney...dullness.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:48 AM

455 posts, read 1,140,378 times
Care to share names of any of these places, Jasper12?

Old 07-08-2011, 10:18 AM

385 posts, read 1,454,950 times
Off the top of my head, the Willard Intercontinental in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel