Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 09:15 AM

56 posts, read 185,296 times

Advertisements

I am really confused right now!

I just need a little insight from people that I don't know...I live in FL and was recently accepted to interview for a year long internship program called the "Mountbatten Institute". Now, this program is based out of NYC and they provide internships to recent college grads who want to live and work abroad for a year, which is something I had been interested in for some time. So, in order for me to placed with an employer (they have various employers that work with) in London, I have to interview in NYC. I will have to pay for all of my own traveling expenses (flying to NY, hotel, etc.) all for this interview, which carries the possibility of not even getting hired by one of the employers at all.

I guess I am concerned about the financial aspect of this whole thing. I've been to NYC many times, so this interview will not be much of a vacation for me! I'm also wary of the credibility of the program; will it be worth it for me to invest $10,000 (cost of the program) into working as an intern (full-time) for a year? They do provide housing, and a VERY modest stipend. At this point in time, my credit is pretty bad, so even being approved for a loan might not be feasible. I also need a new car!

The interview is this weekend, and I debating on whether or not I should just cancel the whole thing and save my money for more practical things...or take a risk on this. If I do, I want it to be worth my time and money! But, I also don't want to be $10,000 in hole when I return to the US, without a car, and internship experience that may not prove worhtwhile. All practicalities aside, I am very interested in at least traveling abroad! It seems like an amazing opportunity, but I am trying to keep my feet on the ground as much as I can. Please give me some advice!!! lol. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 01:28 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
I'd be very skeptical of an internship that you have to pay $10,000 to get. Sounds like a scam to me.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:40 PM

16,670 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Hi there.

What area of business is the internship in?

Edit- I've just looked up that Institute.

I'm wondering if you may get a better response to your dilemma in the business forums?

Old 05-05-2011, 02:01 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,042 times
You can intern in the UK for vastly less money than that. See Intern in Britain | Internships, Graduate Internship and Paid Internship Opportunities with BUNAC As far as I know, this is the only legal way for a US citizen to intern in the UK. I suspect there are organisations who piggy back on this scheme and add a zero.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:24 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Use the $10K to go and spend a year in some cheap country like Thailand or Colombia, instead. You can live for a year quite easily there on that, and just be a free agent and hang loose, maybe do some volunteer work or study the language intensively. You'll come away with a much better life experience, for the same cost.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:11 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
I'd second jtur88's suggestion, unless the "official" internship experience is vital I think you'd get more out of doing your own thing in Asia or S/C America.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:37 PM

746 posts, read 1,677,002 times
While it may not be a scam, it's an easy way for them to get cheap service out of you. I just read an article on this, how companies abuse internships. It's really a win-win for them: They get a naive/desperate intern, and pay out very little for services rendered. Young college grads are hungry for some adventure and a new place, so of course they always have a pool of applicants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel