Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2011, 10:31 PM

39 posts, read 113,957 times

Advertisements

When moving, I assume most people would wait to buy their furniture until they've reached their destination. I won't have access to my dad's trailor once I move though and would have to pay for any shipping or delivery fees. If I buy it now, my dad will pick it up in his trailor and there are no additonal costs. What makes me hesitant is that the couch I want is black leather and I'm worried about throwing that in the back of a moving truck. I've never owned a leather couch before and am assuming it could get scratched?

Would you buy your furniture now and just travel with it or wait and pay the extra money (plus sit around without a couch for a month or two) ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 10:42 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
I'd wait until you have a place to put it. There's nothing worse than looking for homes that will fit your furniture. Get the home first, then the furniture to fit it.

Most furniture stores deliver for free. Around here you get free delivery for up to a couple hundred miles, but that would depend on where you're moving to.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:09 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
If you mean a moving van such as Allied, Mayflower etc., they wrap furniture pieces with thick pads....I just moved and had no damage to antique pieces etc.

Good luck!

ps you will get more response if this is posted under general moving questions~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylijah View Post
When moving, I assume most people would wait to buy their furniture until they've reached their destination. I won't have access to my dad's trailor once I move though and would have to pay for any shipping or delivery fees. If I buy it now, my dad will pick it up in his trailor and there are no additonal costs. What makes me hesitant is that the couch I want is black leather and I'm worried about throwing that in the back of a moving truck. I've never owned a leather couch before and am assuming it could get scratched?

Would you buy your furniture now and just travel with it or wait and pay the extra money (plus sit around without a couch for a month or two) ?

Old 05-29-2011, 09:37 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Unless the pieces are especially expensive or legitimate antiques or maybe family heirlooms...
it's real hard to justify (in my view) the expense of carting cheap pine or knock down particle board.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:

If you're moving it yourself in your dad's trailer, and your dad is going to bring the trailer anyhow, then I can't see why you couldn't buy it now. It's up to you how you pack it, you can cover it with blankets, pillows, tarps.

But generally if you have to pay moving costs or are just moving junk then it's better to buy it when you get there.

Sometimes people will pay big money to move stuff that was not real great when they could just sell it here and rebuy used stuff when they get to their destination.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:10 PM

I'm sorry if I posted this on the wrong board. I'm new to the site. I do have actual travel questions too though lol and will post those in a different thread. Anyway, my dad would pick up the couch in his trailor and then help me move my belongings (in his trailor) in July. I just wasn't sure if I was making a stupid decision by buying my furniture before moving. (As far as it looking right in my house, I dont care about that because I'm military and will move again anyway lol. My parents tried to tell me I should wait, but then I would have to pay for delivery fees and sit on my floor for a month.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:36 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,071,855 times
Quote:
I'm sorry if I posted this on the wrong board. I'm new to the site. I do have actual travel questions too though lol and will post those in a different thread. Anyway, my dad would pick up the couch in his trailor and then help me move my belongings (in his trailor) in July. I just wasn't sure if I was making a stupid decision by buying my furniture before moving. (As far as it looking right in my house, I dont care about that because I'm military and will move again anyway lol. My parents tried to tell me I should wait, but then I would have to pay for delivery fees and sit on my floor for a month.
Like in the previous posts, most furniture places have free delivery within a certain amount of miles.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:05 PM

I wish these places offered free delivery Every place I visited said they would charge at least 99 bucks.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:41 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
There will be a Goodwill store there, you can buy a house full of essential furniture for a hundred bucks, and replace it later when you have had plenty of time to shop around. If you're in the military and move every year or so, spend your whole career on Goodwill furniture, you'll save about $100,000 in your lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel