Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 05:32 PM

54 posts, read 164,824 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a mountain type vacation this summer. I live in the desert so want cooler temps, lots of trees and maybe a lake or so. I was thinking of a cabin. I am open to areas in the west/northwest. I will be flying from Las Vegas. Here is my wish list:

Cool temps....(prefer under 85 high)
Trees
Lake or River
Cabin on/near lake or river
Hiking
Places to eat within 1 hour drive
Small town/s to walk around
Within 2 1/2 hours to major airport (from Las Vegas)

I am picturing a cabin on a lake with a porch and a scenic view. The smell of pine trees. Charming small towns to walk around within 1 hours drive for when I get bored. Some relatively easy hiking. Not into water sports. Some dining options within 1 hour. Maybe a national park or some other area attraction.

I am worried about getting bored, I am not athletic other than hiking and am a bit high strung, so need some distractions. But I love to see God's natural beauty.

Some places I thought about were Leavenworth, Washington, and Koocanusa, Montana.

I am thinking somewhere in Oregon/Washington/Wyoming/Idaho/Montana. But I don't know good places in those states.

Any recommendations??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 05:43 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Bitterroot Mountains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-28-2011, 09:36 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Have you thought about Yellowstone NP?

Old 05-28-2011, 10:37 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,224,032 times
Lots of that kind of stuff in Wyoming. Depends on how remote you want to be, how much you want to spend, etc., etc. Does it have to be a cabin? Must it face the lake? Would a stream work rather than a lake?

You might start by looking around Grand Teton National Park or Yellowstone National Park. Don't wait too long if you're thinking of doing it this summer. Time's running out for reservations.

Lots of what you describe in Montana and Idaho too. Look for higher elevations if you want cool air -- 8,000 feet or so.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:31 PM

588 posts, read 2,828,400 times
How about Budge's Slide Lake Cabins in Jackson Hole Wyoming. Absolutely beautiful and meets all of your requirements. (Hey, AA lands 757s at the Jackson Hole airport during the summer - that qualifies it as a major airport in my mind ).

I spent my honeymoon there several years ago and have been wanting to go back.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:45 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
So many choices...I would personally avoid the national parks. I don't think they have cabin options but if they did they are usually overcrowded with families in the summer (and probably all booked up by now) and you wouldn't have that degree of privacy I think you would appreciate.

Now - outside and adjacent to the national parks, in the national forest land or other government land, or in private land, you might get what you want. You really need to limit your search to one state however, your current description is too broad - enter "cabins" in a search engine along with a specific area (i.e. - Glacier national Park area) then pick and choose. Also, there are primitive cabins (outhouse, well water only) and very luxurious cabins (AC, satellite TV, internet hookups, sauna, etc), which one do you want? Cool temps is easy enough - just pick your altitude level. Every 1,000 feet in elevation is about 3.5 degrees cooler.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:34 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,993,881 times
Truckee or any of the cities around Lake Tahoe.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:50 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
A few years ago we spent a week in Missoula, Mt and still think about that trip fondly. Surrounded by lovely mountain ranges and we took a side trip to Lolo Hot springs where Lewis and Clark camped in the early 1800s. The Springs were wonderful - didn't want to leave. Missoula is also home to a Campus of the University of MT. Lots of nice restaurants and shops.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:53 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
jlady, I want exactly what you've described, and I'm having a heck of a time finding it! My travel criteria is a little different, as I'm driving to my destination from the L.A. area.

I agree with the advice to stay away from national parks. A pricier, resort-like hotel might be a better option, as it might weed out some of the noisier, obnoxious people (I know, it's not a given, but it's worth a try!). Also, Google Maps with Street View is your friend. I crossed a couple of places right off my list after I saw photos of them and realized, "Oh, this 'resort' is right up against the main highway!" or "Wow, they call this a river view? It's a bunch of parking spaces and then the river!"

I'm also paying attention to lodging reviews, like on Yelp and TripAdvisor. I discovered that a hotel I was seriously considering only features memory foam beds, and although some people swear by those, I prefer pillow-top mattresses.

Best of luck with your search, and I'd love to know what you decide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel