Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 06:12 PM

8 posts, read 31,430 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Any good warmer vacation spot for families this time of the year where we can go for 2-3 days. I know maybe I am asking too much but hoping there might be few folks on forum who are sick of snow like ourselves and want to figure out where to take kids during winter break.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 06:13 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
captive or sanibel island in florida is fabulous!!!!

leigh

Old 12-20-2011, 06:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
San Diego,

Or an Obama Hawaii boondoggle. Surely there is extra space on Air Force One.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:04 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloyd View Post
Hi,
Any good warmer vacation spot for families this time of the year where we can go for 2-3 days. I know maybe I am asking too much but hoping there might be few folks on forum who are sick of snow like ourselves and want to figure out where to take kids during winter break.

Thanks.
The Bahamas! If you are on the east coast you can be there in no time at all. The water is great and weather pretty perfect

Old 12-21-2011, 07:37 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The Bahamas! If you are on the east coast you can be there in no time at all. The water is great and weather pretty perfect
Beware that the Bahamas are north enough that they can be somewhat cool, at least as compared to other islands in the Caribbean. We spent the third week of December there one year and some days didnt' get out of the 60s...with the breeze off the water it felt rather chilly at times.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:49 AM

219 posts, read 541,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloyd View Post
Hi,

Thanks.
Well you didn't mention which Disney or whether passports would be involved so I'm going to assume Florida is a possibility, and would recommend Clearwarter area. The beach itself is rated top 10 in the country and nearby ST Pete beach is a nice ride along the islands if you are so inclined. Many locals rent out their houses for a week which can be cheaper than hotels. Tarpon Springs to the north (15 minutes), Safety Harbor to the east (same - where you can watch a sunrise over Tampa Bay and sunset on the Pier in Clearwater beach), St Pete to the south (about an hour ride although it is like 10 miles away ) and of course Clearwater itself, all on a peninsula (Pinellas County) on a peninsula (FL). Food, fishing, sun, aquarium, museums, baseball spring training - well not yet, siteseeing, FOOD, and outdoor thatched roof bar/resteraunts for drinking and dining too.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:27 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
If you're from the east coast and are sick of going to Florida all the time, I highly recommend Puerto Rico. It's by far the best caribbean island I've visited, maybe because it doesn't have much caribbean flavor at all. The food is superb (strong cooking influence from Spain so think Tapas and roast pig), people are friendly, beaches are beautiful, and your kids can practice their spanish. There are so many natural wonders to see there too.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:57 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
I'm gonna go with Puerto Rico, you can usually find really good discounts on flights to Puerto Rico. Another good one would be Nassau, Bahamas. I spent time there, and it would be great for a family, they have nice pools, a big water slide, an aquarium, and it was 75+ every night.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:44 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Beware that the Bahamas are north enough that they can be somewhat cool, at least as compared to other islands in the Caribbean. We spent the third week of December there one year and some days didnt' get out of the 60s...with the breeze off the water it felt rather chilly at times.
That's unfortunate that it happened to you, but it's not the norm

Usually December, January and February are "high season" (the best times) to go because of the weather.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:24 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
U.S. Virgin Islands of course!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel