U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 05:41 PM

5,687 posts, read 8,599,419 times

Advertisements

I have heard this complaint from so many Europeans and Asians, at first I denied it but the more bad experiences I have with misbehaving American tourists the more I am thinking this is indeed TRUE!

I am here in a hotel which has a common area for guests to relax... I was doing some reading. Here comes a bandwagon of American imbeciles with a laptop in tow and start talking at the top of their lungs and to add insult to injury they start playing music loudly! Aren't these people aware that it is a common area and not their damn house? This has happened so many times and 80-90% of the time the offenders are young (20-29ish I would say) AMERICANS... sorry to say.

It brings back a memory when I was in Munich enjoying a beer at the Hofbrauhaus and some Americans were making such a scene that they were THROWN OUT! Goodness! Then at Neuschwanstein's palace it was the same thing, group of Americans cursing around about how all the signs are in German - of course it's GERMANY you F-ing morons!

Self help for this issue:
http://www.time-travellers.org/Histo...yAmerican.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 05:54 PM

37,105 posts, read 45,631,484 times
Well, I'd guess that there could also be tourists of other nationalities who act inappropriately.
All I know from experience is that my ex-husband's sister in law and French husband came to stay with them for a visit in the US. The French guy was so obnoxious and critical of the accomodations, food, wine, etc, that they were invited to get the hell out.
People are ass holes sometimes, regardless.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:01 PM

5,687 posts, read 8,599,419 times
Yes, but the French are known for that... and I do concur that the French are some of the most obnoxious on the planet..my cousins are Swiss French and when they visit the US they curse everything in sight!!, but as I said I didn't believe Americans were in this group and felt Europeans were just unjustly talking smack about Americans but now I think maybe they are right!

With the exception of the French I have hardly experienced this with other nationalities!

Old 05-30-2011, 06:12 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,253,805 times
We spent a lot of time in Phuket playing golf over the last 5 years and I have to say that the new rich Russians can be equally loud and obnoxious.

What is a shame it that wherever you go its inevitably the really stupid people who are loud and feel the need to share their conversation with everyone around....

We were staying in the St Regis in Rome recently and there were 2 Americans SKYPEing their family in the US from a laptop in the bar in the lobby. I swear the people in the rooms on the first floor could hear all the conversation... and they were talking complete rubbish....

Old 05-30-2011, 06:59 PM

313 posts, read 386,447 times
[quote=swisswife;19374972]We spent a lot of time in Phuket playing golf over the last 5 years and I have to say that the new rich Russians can be equally loud and obnoxious.

[quote]

Did you tell them to go Phuket? I just couldn't resist.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:11 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,188,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
(20-29ish I would say) AMERICANS...
I think that is more of the problem.

Come to Miami and see all the loud annoying Latin American, Russian or Italian tourist. How about the Asians who block everything and take pictures of everything. Every type of tourist will do something wrong and most young tourist are young having fun they will be like that.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:21 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,657,931 times
Its absolutely true. I was in a pub, in London, with my wife and I wanted to die. Totally die. Some moron said to the waitress, "Can I pay with American money?" When she explained no, they only took British Pounds, this idiot yelled and screamed at her. The police came and it went down hill from there.

If you go to another country, its THEIR laws/customs which you follow. Not ours. You worthless idiots are ruining it for the rest of us, who enjoy going to foreign countries and learning their cultures.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:57 AM

7 posts, read 6,735 times
Not so bad, I guess the American tipping culture makes them more popular...

And the best tourists in the world are... | Reuters

(Reuters) - The best tourists in the world are the Japanese, followed by Americans and the Swiss, a survey based on views from hoteliers across Europe said Wednesday.
Japanese tourists stood out for being polite and tidy, securing 35 percent more votes than the Americans who came second.
Swiss tourists were commended for being quiet and considerate, unlike the Britons who were judged to be the fifth worst tourists because of rude behavior, noise and a miserly attitude to tipping.
But despite their faults, hoteliers do look favorably upon British spending habits voting them the third biggest holiday spenders after Americans and Russians.
Based on responses from 15,000 European hoteliers, the survey carried out on behalf of travel Web site Expedia showed that the worst tourist nation was France, followed by India, China and Russia.
Britain was second in the worst-dressed tourist table which was headed by the Americans, and fifth in the least-generous table which was headed by the Germans.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:08 AM

8,916 posts, read 13,662,247 times
For every rude, loud American, I'm sure there are plenty more who aren't, you just don't notice them. And to be honest, the rudest person I've ever met in my entire life was European.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:19 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,095,655 times
I was just at a beach resort in a country that sees few American visitors. The beach was peaceful and lovely until one afternoon a group of four Americans (about 50-ish years old) showed up. They were speaking so loudly to each other for an hour or two while in the water that it made me cringe. We all heard about the couple's house being broken into, their thoughts on flying post-9/11 (I kid you not) and other musings that no one cared about except them.

They were the epitome of the loud boorish American stereotype. Mind you, they are the exception, not the rule, but as an American who travels abroad, it still embarrasses me that 9 times out of 10, the loud obnoxious person is an American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel