Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you want to fly childfree??
Yes, uncontrollable crying drives me crazy!! 52 75.36%
No, crying doesn't bother me. 17 24.64%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:48 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
At least you can say something to the adults. You can't say anything to kids because the parents will think you're some kind of horrible monster.
I can think of a couple of times when I have told small children to stop kicking the back of my seat (after saying something to the parent proved to be useless). I really don't care what their parents think - I don't put up with that crap. If you can't keep your child from behaving inappropriately, and their behavior is bothering me, I have no problem telling the little brat to knock it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 09:13 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
I would not be against childfree flights or at least childfree sections of the plane. The problem isn't the kids. Kids misbehave. It's with selfish parents/guardians who think that just because they aren't bothered by their kid's behavior, no one else must be. I could be wrong, but I always assumed that when one chooses to have a child, they're also choosing to take responsibility for that child and make sacrifices as a result.
I was on a flight from New York City to Seoul recently and believe me, if a child had been acting up, no one would have stood for it.
^^THIS!!!^^

I'm a parent. I'm a parent who has flown with my kids. When my ds was an infant, and we boarded the plane, we got dirty looks from those forced to sit next to us. But my ds was a good flyer, I'm an attentive mom and I got thanked at the end of all our flights. When the kids were both toddlers, we flew on less crowded flights, one parent per kid - seated seperately, so they wouldn't fight. It worked out well - we had lots of stuff to distract them. They flew alone this last time. Now THAT was probably hell on those around them - their bickering is SOOO annoying.

If I were going to fly, sans children, I would probably "pop" for extra to fly childless - if I'm not flying with MINE, I don't want to fly with OTHER people's kids!

Old 06-17-2011, 08:23 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
^^THIS!!!^^

I'm a parent. I'm a parent who has flown with my kids. When my ds was an infant, and we boarded the plane, we got dirty looks from those forced to sit next to us. But my ds was a good flyer, I'm an attentive mom and I got thanked at the end of all our flights. When the kids were both toddlers, we flew on less crowded flights, one parent per kid - seated seperately, so they wouldn't fight. It worked out well - we had lots of stuff to distract them. They flew alone this last time. Now THAT was probably hell on those around them - their bickering is SOOO annoying.

If I were going to fly, sans children, I would probably "pop" for extra to fly childless - if I'm not flying with MINE, I don't want to fly with OTHER people's kids!
It'd be great if more parents were like you and actually paid attention to their kids. Not just for the people sitting near you, but for the kid him/herself!

Old 06-17-2011, 12:11 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
^^THIS!!!^^

I'm a parent. I'm a parent who has flown with my kids. When my ds was an infant, and we boarded the plane, we got dirty looks from those forced to sit next to us. But my ds was a good flyer...
What does 'ds' stand for? I can figure out from the context that you are talking about your child but that's about it.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:02 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
What does 'ds' stand for? I can figure out from the context that you are talking about your child but that's about it.
It means "Dear Son."

Old 06-17-2011, 09:52 PM

313 posts, read 450,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
It means "Dear Son."

Thanks. I don't know acronynims since I don't text message.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:57 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Some adults act like kids.
True, but you don't have people arguing that they're just kids and not correcting the behavior.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delany View Post
You can not forbid children to travel by air

It is a basic right to get from point A to point B.

Some parents may assume a different attitude, and give there children a better education
Who said that children should be forbidden air travel?
Air travel is not a right, it's a service that other people pay for as well.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:20 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
After reading and laughing at the tales of the tribulations associated with modern air travel, it makes me rather smug and confident that a decision made decades ago was the wise one. Whenever travel is required, I DRIVE. Am well aware that this is simply not practical for many, but for myself it has worked. As a few earlier posters have remarked, I too have a very low tolerance for boorish behavior. The me-first-I-do-what-I-want attitude so common today simply does not wash. If I were forced to fly, the chances would be very good that my journey would end up in cuffs. If I did not punch a TSA goon a brawl on the plane with one or more of the afore mentioned nitwits could be a strong possibility. Not wishing to have to adjust to prison life, I will avoid airplanes. Sarcasm and satire aside, since have no plans to leave the USA or even travel more than three days drive from home, driving is practical and air travel is not required. If a trip to Alaska or Hawaii should come up will go by ship.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc9812 View Post
Seems like everyone forgot that they were once those crying infants on a flight headed to a visit to Grandma's.

I find that people that get so sensitive are usually just angry, hateful people in general. I always take my headphones, Ipod and a book on a flight. Kids can cry, scream, whatever they want. Has never bothered me.

In my experience, it's only in the US that people have this hateful attitude towards kids flying. In Europe, Asia, Latin America, people actually strike up conversations with kids, ask to hold babies. I know.......strange!
Yeah, yeah, yeah.
And people with your attitude are parents and the rest of the world has to deal with their badly behaving kids.
My parents would never allow us to behave badly in public; we would suffer many consequences.

I never took a flight until I was 16, but nice try to blame people for not liking the piercing noise of crying kids.

I live in Europe and fly frequently, people do not love crying and misbehaving kids on flights. No one does.

I find it strange that you assign "hate" to others feelings.
Seems like you hate those of us who don't want to be around misbehaving kids.

Last edited by chielgirl; 06-18-2011 at 03:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel