U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:27 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,866,938 times

Advertisements

Maho Beach Photos | Maho Beach Pictures - Yahoo! News (http://beta.news.yahoo.com/photos/maho-beach-1308165446-slideshow/ - broken link)

I want to go here to sit on the beach and watch planes come in. Any other airports that have inetresting approaches/landings? I heard one in Latin America is a challenge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 03:26 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,911,924 times
Landing on Nantucket in a 6-seater or even just San Francisco in larger, more regular-sized aircraft can be an interesting experience. It certainly makes you appreciate your pilot.

I've heard of Saba in the Caribbean.

YouTube - ‪Shortest runway in the world?‬‏

Courcheval in the French Alps.

YouTube - ‪Beech Baron landing at Courchevel Airport, France‬‏

Barra in Scotland--it's the beach.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:22 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,098,346 times
Oh my god Maho is terriying!!!!

Old 06-17-2011, 11:45 AM

32,532 posts, read 30,646,320 times
Orange County (John Wayne) airport in CA. Because of noise restrictions take-offs are like a rocket launch. Including the few moments of weightless-ness. (I love to watch the faces of the un-suspecting.)

Landings are also an E-ticket. Though the real thrills are for the drivers on the freeway next to the runway who have a 737 coming in 50 feet above their heads.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:21 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,184,676 times
Saint Barths in the Caribbean is crazy too. Must see videos on Youtube for people who do not know about it. Another great approach is at Washington Regan National Airport the River Approach to runway 19 it fantastic!! Always sit on the left side of the plane when flying into DCA and the right side when flying out. Best views you will ever have of DC and the mall etc..
Also London City is a good approach. And there are some good ones to New York Laguardia not sure the runway numbers though.
The South American one is probably Quito. It is pretty crazy and there are also plenty of videos on youtube of that. Of course the most famous would be the Old Hong Kong airport. That approach was crazy.
Also one last one to mention and probably the most dangerous approach in the world is Lukla Airport near Mount Everest. the approach is crazy with the runway ending at a rock wall and starting over a cliff. There are no go arounds here every landing has to be perfect or a crash no climb and try it again.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:19 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,160,149 times
Long Beach Airport in California was a concept. As we were landing, we circled around the Pacific Ocean for at least 20 minutes returning from Seattle. Due to a change in travel plans, I only flew INTO LGB so I cannot say anything about take-off.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:20 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,160,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Orange County (John Wayne) airport in CA. Because of noise restrictions take-offs are like a rocket launch. Including the few moments of weightless-ness. (I love to watch the faces of the un-suspecting.)

Landings are also an E-ticket. Though the real thrills are for the drivers on the freeway next to the runway who have a 737 coming in 50 feet above their heads.
That would have freaked me out for sure ... So far, I've been able to avoid SNA (John Wayne) but should I eventually move to OC, I may have to designate that as my home airport. LAX is my top choice.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:25 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,587,252 times
We used to live in OC for decades and flew out of John Wayne hundreds of time. With each smooth takeoff and barely-kiss-the-tarmac landing, we loved it more and more. Only felt the landing once when an Italian pilot who must be a first timer at SNA slammed hard on the brake to bring the plane to the complete stop. With a great majority of passengers who were Italian, he received an ovation!

Old 06-19-2011, 11:38 AM

216 posts, read 466,909 times
Midway airport, Chicago. Flying in at rooftop levels you think you will clip a house. Great for plane spotting (if you like SWA's 737's). Nice park at 63'rd & Central ave. when they are landing on 4R.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:19 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,706,679 times
Saigon you get to taxi past all the bunkers with old Mig-21s parked in them.

The new Sky Train they are building in Phoenix is built for planes to taxi under it, man that thing is way the hell up there. I'm probably going to go ride it just for the sake of riding it when it is finished.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel