U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 10:34 PM

253 posts, read 497,181 times

Advertisements

I have been able to set aside August for a possible backpacking experience in Europe. I am trying to cut costs on initial travel. Friends told me about freight travel, yet all the liners I have been able to find are more expensive than cruises and the travel time is ten times as long. Does anybody know of some travel secrets to save money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 11:02 PM

962 posts, read 2,017,991 times
If you can travel with just carry-on bags, look into air courier. Air courier companies air at airports in all the major cities. They buy air tickets to use the luggage space for overnight deliveries. However, they often sell the seat at really cheap prices. I flew to Paris 4 times and never paid more than $250 round trip. You have to learn how to pack light and travel on a moments notice as these tickets usually become available at the best prices during the week of travel. It was a great feeling sitting next to someone who probably paid 4 times the amount for the same seat and in-flight movie and meal! Another suggestion if you can leave on a days notice or so is to check Priceline to bid on last minute tickets. The closer you get to the time of travel the cheaper these type of tickets become.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:43 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,937,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesun7 View Post
I have been able to set aside August for a possible backpacking experience in Europe. I am trying to cut costs on initial travel. Friends told me about freight travel, yet all the liners I have been able to find are more expensive than cruises and the travel time is ten times as long. Does anybody know of some travel secrets to save money?
I have a friend who is terrified of flying. He took a freighter from Liverpool to Philadelphia. It was more expensive than the QEII (although an adventure in itself). Definitely not the way to go if you want to save money.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:29 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
Flying is about your only option, start looking for discounts through online travel companies.
Google

Old 06-21-2011, 10:56 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,587,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
He took a freighter from Liverpool to Philadelphia. It was more expensive than the QEII (although an adventure in itself). Definitely not the way to go if you want to save money.
My wife and I were the only passengers on a freighter from Spain to Chile. The voyage was planned for two months but due to weather, it became three. It's not as expensive as a normal cruise but definitely not a method to save money and not suitable for anyone with a fixed time frame.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the answers!

Old 06-21-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
If you can travel with just carry-on bags, look into air courier. Air courier companies air at airports in all the major cities. They buy air tickets to use the luggage space for overnight deliveries. However, they often sell the seat at really cheap prices. I flew to Paris 4 times and never paid more than $250 round trip. You have to learn how to pack light and travel on a moments notice as these tickets usually become available at the best prices during the week of travel. It was a great feeling sitting next to someone who probably paid 4 times the amount for the same seat and in-flight movie and meal! Another suggestion if you can leave on a days notice or so is to check Priceline to bid on last minute tickets. The closer you get to the time of travel the cheaper these type of tickets become.
Nice I definitely will have to check this method out.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:03 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
You won't get on a freighter unless somebody pulls some strings for you. Which usually means getting you listed as crew. They are not insured for passenger carry, and won't take you without insurance, which is prohibitively expensive for them.

I've heard of people hitchhiking around the US by hanging out at the executive airports, but I doubt if you'd ever get a transatlantic lift like that.

In short, the effort necessary to find a cheaper way is probably not worth what you wold save.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:40 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,587,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You won't get on a freighter unless somebody pulls some strings for you. Which usually means getting you listed as crew. They are not insured for passenger carry, and won't take you without insurance, which is prohibitively expensive for them.
Not true. You can book voyages with freighters as easy as with any cruise line. There are one-way, round-trip, and around-the-world voyages. All ship lines carry insurance for everyone on board -- crew, passengers, and all foreign officials at countries where the ships dock.

My wife and I took our freighter voyage on CCNI Angol in Sept 2006 after booking it on line, same way as we did with all our trips. The ship started in Hamburg, Germany, but we came aboard in Bilbao, Spain. There were two other passengers -- a German couple -- on the southbound leg, but my wife and I were the only two passengers on the return leg of the voyage. The ship's final destination was Valparaiso, Chile, before turning around to go back to Spain in November 2006. We occupied the owner's cabin, but there were two other cabins for any potential passengers.

There was no strings, no connections, no special treatment. You can find dozens of cargo lines that routinely take passengers any day of the week.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:08 PM

11,933 posts, read 21,518,965 times
I wouldn't be on any type of freighter these days with all the pirate attacks going on. Not worth it to save a few hundred bucks, if that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel