U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 12:25 PM

3,644 posts, read 5,558,544 times

Advertisements

Surprise! TSA Is Searching Your Car, Subway, Ferry, Bus, AND Plane | Mother Jones

Quote:
The TSA later admitted that the VIPR operation should have ended before the train entered the station, but told the public that the Savannah passengers didn't have to enter the screening area... even though an eye-witness says a TSA agent instructed them to go into the screening area to collect their luggage... the luggage that was actually waiting somewhere else.
I really hope the Texas law passes restricting the TSA's power here. Those guys need to be taken down a notch or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 05:33 PM

2,446 posts, read 4,430,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I really hope the Texas law passes restricting the TSA's power here. Those guys need to be taken down a notch or two.
Considering some of the laws passed recently, I guess anything is possible, but good luck getting a state to pass a law that limits the power of a federal agency.

On the surface, I don't have a problem with the article as they're the transportation security administration, not just for airlines, although that's what we all think of when we think of them.

In practice, screening passengers as they're getting off the train just sounds plain dumb, although I take a lot of this article with a grain of salt, as it seems to rely on tips from individuals.

As far as checking your immigration status, that's quite blatantly out of their mandate. They got into trouble with this in the past with searching for drugs. If they're screening you for weapons and happen to find drugs, then fine, but they're not the DEA, they're not the cops and aren't supposed to be searching people specifically for drugs.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:24 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,813,489 times
After 9/11, people demanded more security.
They asked for it, they got it, and now they whine about it.

The lesson here is to think things through before you demand them.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:49 AM

21,353 posts, read 24,079,680 times
We in the US are so naive. Just wait until we have one suicide bomber walk into a train/bus station and blow himself up.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:03 AM

34,356 posts, read 41,427,648 times
Increased security is all part of modern day living,its somewhat inconvenient but i'd rather have it than an alternative whereby terrorists have free reign to blow up whatever they want.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:48 AM

9,181 posts, read 9,263,338 times
Quote:
Increased security is all part of modern day living,its somewhat inconvenient but i'd rather have it than an alternative whereby terrorists have free reign to blow up whatever they want.
This statement does not sound bad on its surface. However, it could stand for all kinds of things. What if "the powers that be" decide the only way for us to be save is to fly naked on the airplane? Would you still say that we have to accept that "inconvenience" so that terrorists can't blow up the airplane?

How about two hours of waiting and interrogation for each passenger every time he flies on a plane? We could hire teams of security police officers that could question every passenger as to his origin, his destination, his family, his employment, his religion, his political beliefs, and his friends. We could compile a huge data base of information for the government. We could determine who the "10,000,000 most potentially dangerous fliers" are and either ban them completely from flying or give them even extra scrutiny.

If this sounds farfetched, its because I'm trying to make a point. The point is that security is only one value when it comes to transportation. Other values include getting people to and from their destinations while minimizing inconvenience. Intelligent people actually try to balance risk v. benefit and arrive at some kind of reasonable medium. I think TSA has done a lousy, crappy job of that.

For example, what is the potentially risk of allowing a white Caucasian woman to get on an airplane with a baby and a babystroller? The chances that someone like that would blow up an airliner are infinitesimal. Yet, I see TSA screening every such woman rigorously while the rest of us wait in long lines behind them. One person, one time, tried to blow up an airplane with a shoe bomb (and failed). What is TSA's response? Thousands of passengers everyday now have to take off their shoes when they board an airliner because of that one failed incident. Its a bunch of BS.

There is NO way to absolutely guarantee despite all this security that a terrorist incident can be prevented. Yet, we spend billions of dollars of money we don't have as a country to harrass millions of law-abiding people.

When we cut the federal budget, TSA is one of my prime candidates. I'll trade a little more risk to get rid of some of this overkill.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:37 AM

If you were to fly on a plane maybe you could give me an idea of what level of security you would be comfortable with,personally i'd like as much security as it takes to make sure theres no bomb or individuals with weapons on the plane. if that takes 2 hours screening then so be it..

Old 06-23-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
After 9/11, people demanded more security.
They asked for it, they got it, and now they whine about it.

The lesson here is to think things through before you demand them.
Knee jerk reactions by congress to tragedies are nothing new. Sadly, once a government agency is created it is almost never eliminated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you were to fly on a plane maybe you could give me an idea of what level of security you would be comfortable with,personally i'd like as much security as it takes to make sure theres no bomb or individuals with weapons on the plane. if that takes 2 hours screening then so be it..
Except that is is NOT real security. These knuckle-draggers working for TSA always miss guns, knives, and other items they are supposed to be checking whenever they run a test of their procedures. TSA is like a gate in a gated community. It provides no real security but it is there to make people feel safer.
Flying back in the 1980's was so much better. You family could walk with you right up to the doorway where you walked on to the plane. They could be there waiting when you got off, instead of trying to find you at lugage claim (checked bags were free then also).
The only real defense agaisnt terrorists are your fellow passengers. Richard Ried was stopped from ignighting his shoe bomb by an alert passenger. Other potential terrorists have been restrained by passengers who refuse to sit by passively and become victims. Those are the people we ought to be thankful for, not the TSA and its goons.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post

The only real defense agaisnt terrorists are your fellow passengers. Richard Ried was stopped from ignighting his shoe bomb by an alert passenger. Other potential terrorists have been restrained by passengers who refuse to sit by passively and become victims. Those are the people we ought to be thankful for, not the TSA and its goons.
So you are OK with just walking on a plane where nobody gets a security check? and hope you or your fellow passengers will take care of any problems that might arise? certainly didnt work out for those on the 4 planes that went down on 9/11.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one..

Old 06-24-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So you are OK with just walking on a plane where nobody gets a security check? and hope you or your fellow passengers will take care of any problems that might arise? certainly didnt work out for those on the 4 planes that went down on 9/11.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one..
Metal detectors are OK as they have a very low inconvenience factor relative to the threats they deter (guns and knives). Other threats are so difficult to detect they cause too great an inconvenience to passengers. Nobody wants to have an anal probe to deter terrorists from packing explosives up there.
On 9/11 noone suspected the terrorists were suicidal so that is why noone acted to stop them until they were in complete control of the planes. That was the official policy back then. Don't resist but instead negotiate after the plane has landed. Now everyone knows differently and every passenger is proactive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel