Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 08:20 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,798,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Get on a few airline discount mailing lists (come out every Weds.). I have seen Tokyo for $300 on occasion (international allows one week travel, Domestic = Thursday > Monday)
What lists?! That is an amazing price!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 10:40 AM

253 posts, read 200,887 times
Miaiam,
I signed up on travelzoo.com to get weekly notifications of special prices. Not only on airfare to certain places but they have discount alerts for hotel rooms & even some shows in Vegas if you're into that. There are certain times you have to buy & travel by to get the discount but I really recommend signing up for it.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:15 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,884,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
What lists?! That is an amazing price!
Get on Travelzoo. Also Lastminute.com.

I have never used them (I usually like to pick my own lodging) but they do have some good deals if you have the flexibility to take advantage.

I don't tweet but following Airfarewatchdog and other travel search engines on Twitter (or at least Facebook) can be helpful.

We live on an island and go to the beach a lot which is helpful because I began a new job at the end of last summer so have not taken much time off.

Other than a family command performance in Dallas in October, I've only had a couple mini-vacations this year, to a very pleasant bed and breakfast in Monticello, Georgia, and another in Savannah.
We might (if we have the time) take another one of those towards the end of the summer, to a cabin where we can bring our dogs.

We'll have three weeks in France and Spain in Dec/Jan--it's the only way we can spend Christmas with our kids this year. That will be a nice break.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:16 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,864,417 times
This year we went for 2 weeks in March, will be going for 3 weeks in August and then another 2 weeks in December. Basically, we vacation about 4 times a year and have been doing this for the last 4 yrs and often wonder why it took us so long.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:17 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,183,167 times
I'm off to Belgium this weekend and France next weekend.

Just got home from London and have 2 days to do my laundry and be gone again.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:26 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,557,306 times
So far in the last 12 months.... 1 week Koh Samui, 6 days in Phuket, 12 days in Tokyo, 9 days in Hong Kong, 3 weeks in Switzerland with 5 days in London, 7 Days in Manchester UK, 4 days in Toronto 10 days in Rome, 16 days in California.
planning London, Florida, Niagara, South USA ( Atlanta, Memphis......)and Hawaii 2 weeks of golf later this year. maybe Xmas in Las Vegas....... I love to travel...

Old 07-06-2011, 01:46 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,183,167 times
Default I'll see your trip and raise you one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
So far in the last 12 months.... 1 week Koh Samui, 6 days in Phuket, 12 days in Tokyo, 9 days in Hong Kong, 3 weeks in Switzerland with 5 days in London, 7 Days in Manchester UK, 4 days in Toronto 10 days in Rome, 16 days in California.
planning London, Florida, Niagara, South USA ( Atlanta, Memphis......)and Hawaii 2 weeks of golf later this year. maybe Xmas in Las Vegas....... I love to travel...
Okay, I just spent 3 weeks driving on this trip (camping most of the way): Vienna, Budapest, northern Romania including Transylvania, Serbia, Croatia and Slovenia.

This could be fun, swisswife!

Old 07-07-2011, 05:55 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,557,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Okay, I just spent 3 weeks driving on this trip (camping most of the way): Vienna, Budapest, northern Romania including Transylvania, Serbia, Croatia and Slovenia.

This could be fun, swisswife!
yeah we can start a 'how many places have you been in the last 12 months'.....

Old 07-07-2011, 06:35 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,550,400 times
We had a week in Istanbul in March, two weeks in Edinburgh in April and will have a month in California in the Fall. Two weeks off at Christmas. We also do long week-ends away to England/Wales. Our Holidays tend to run on the same line every year in terms of time.

I don't know how many Americans managed with so little vacation time as I live for our Holidays ! Travel is my addiction. I sometimes think I could stay on the road forever.

I have become an expert on how to stretch Hubby's vacation allowance to its very maximum by using public holidays and his flexi-time /over-time too. And we only return home at the very last minute.

Coming home is always such a come down after being away.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:47 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,884,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I sometimes think I could stay on the road forever.
The only way I could do that is if we lived in some sort of bio fuel motor home.
I would miss my kitty and dogs too much.
Quote:
Coming home is always such a come down after being away.
I don't ever really feel that way; I can be adventuresome, I love going on trips, exploring the world at large, but maybe at heart I am kind of homebody, I love my garden and houseplants, etc. I do love sleeping in my own bed.

I just found out yesterday that I have the last week in July off so I can entertain my brother and his family here, relatives that have not yet ever visited us. We'll visit Savannah, take our boat to other islands, we'll hang out at the beach, eat lots of seafood.
I'll have a stay-cation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel