Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 08:17 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,618,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
The only way I could do that is if we lived in some sort of bio fuel motor home.
I would miss my kitty and dogs too much.

I don't ever really feel that way; I can be adventuresome, I love going on trips, exploring the world at large, but maybe at heart I am kind of homebody, I love my garden and houseplants, etc. I do love sleeping in my own bed.

I just found out yesterday that I have the last week in July off so I can entertain my brother and his family here, relatives that have not yet ever visited us. We'll visit Savannah, take our boat to other islands, we'll hang out at the beach, eat lots of seafood.
I'll have a stay-cation!
You are incredibly well travelled though, so still obviously a "homebody" with a taste for adventure !

Savannah is gorgeous so having something lovely on your doorstep ( well not too far anyway) always helps I think. I could never live in a area which had nothing to offer in terms of architecture, history, culture,art scene, theatre, music venues , scenic beauty etc... I would perish unless that area was so culturally distinct that it offered me a full sense of otherness. Put me in Leeds or Birmingham in England , Iowa in the US or Winnipeg in Canada and you might as well push me out of a window.

I actually like my house and my stuff, I love the area we live in ( the best area in England for my own requirements) but I have been here way too long. I think I would be happy staying somewhere a couple of years then moving on. I think a couple of years gives you a really good shot at knowing and understanding a place properly.

I guess I just get bored too easily and I loathe being at home. I feel trapped there. Maybe it is because I can't work and because I am ill and thus have little control over anything in many ways but travelling is the best balm for whatever ails my soul.

Sometimes the idea of coming home after a vacation almost makes me feel ill and I actually become anxious and depressed simply at the thought of going back to the same routine. Routine to me is a killer word. A new horizon always beckons. Restlessness and wanderlust are terrible things truth be told because it means you are never satisfied anywhere in a way. You always want to push on and see and do more.

A young couple of friends of mine ( mid 20s), both fit and healthy will often actually spend their free-time, week-ends and vacation at home through choice rather than financial necessity and just spend the day playing video games, watching tv etc... and I simply cannot comprehend this. Indoors and in a tiny flat on a computer 18 hours a day, when I would kill to have their health and get back to my proper travelling days.

It puzzles and I suppose if I am truthful often really irks me . I cannot help but feel that they would barely notice if they had what I had. I certainly would swap for fully functioning legs with them any day ! I love them to bits but I shall never understand how healthy people just want to hang around at home doing nothing. It is beyond my intellectual grasp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 12:48 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,006,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Savannah is gorgeous so having something lovely on your doorstep ( well not too far anyway) always helps I think.
Yes, it's only 2 hours away, and has so much to offer.
Quote:
I actually like my house and my stuff, I love the area we live in ( the best area in England for my own requirements) but I have been here way too long. I think I would be happy staying somewhere a couple of years then moving on. I think a couple of years gives you a really good shot at knowing and understanding a place properly.
I can totally understand this. Some folks plant themselves and that's it, others are more restless, always seeking out something new.
We might not stay where we are until we are too old and decrepit to move.
Quote:
I guess I just get bored too easily and I loathe being at home. I feel trapped there. Maybe it is because I can't work and because I am ill and thus have little control over anything in many ways but travelling is the best balm for whatever ails my soul.
Vacations can be very refreshing. I am sorry you are in such a bad way, but glad that you are able to go on such amazing journeys.

Quote:
A young couple of friends of mine ( mid 20s), both fit and healthy will often actually spend their free-time, week-ends and vacation at home through choice rather than financial necessity and just spend the day playing video games, watching tv etc... and I simply cannot comprehend this. Indoors and in a tiny flat on a computer 18 hours a day, when I would kill to have their health and get back to my proper travelling days.

It puzzles and I suppose if I am truthful often really irks me . I cannot help but feel that they would barely notice if they had what I had. I certainly would swap for fully functioning legs with them any day ! I love them to bits but I shall never understand how healthy people just want to hang around at home doing nothing. It is beyond my intellectual grasp.
I understand how this could irk you. I believe that *some* hanging around is good, especially after a 40 hour work week, but the lack of fresh air and sunshine sounds dreadful.
Sometimes we take our health for granted and don't miss it until it's gone, and also I do think some folks live their lives online because for a variety of reasons (emotional health,loneliness, fears, you name it) life for them is better in front of a screen.
Now if you'll excuse me I need to step away from the computer, but not to do anything exciting like go to Istanbul. I have to vacuum carpets and mop floors.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:00 AM

452 posts, read 310,486 times
2 Years ago next month I went to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. Why? I have no clue. Spent 3-4 days there I believe so not really a vacation. Last real vacation was probably 8 years ago when I last visited California for about a week or so.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:03 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Every May we take a beach vacation. So my last vacation was in May.

Big Island, Hawaii.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:04 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

Youth is wasted on the young!

Now we live on half an acre with a spa master bath, a big screen tv, a fully loaded bar, a pool table, a basketball hoop, a backyard swimming pool, a hot tub (and a jacuzzi inside)...STAYCATION is easy and relaxing and nice for us.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:51 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
yeah we can start a 'how many places have you been in the last 12 months'.....
Mooseketeer can play, too!

Old 07-08-2011, 03:22 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,618,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Mooseketeer can play, too!
Nah, I am now an amateur compared to you ! Maybe in my golden days of travelling ... It is far more sedate nowadays.

You've made me think about Romania again though. I am mulling whether or not to book a week stay in Transylvania an area I love. My problem is that so much of it is walking orientated which can be hard on me. I would love to be able to get back to trekking and maybe a little more contact with true nature. I do miss it. I keep hoping my health will pick up and I can start real travelling again. I feel like a big sissy nowadays !

Old 07-08-2011, 03:47 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Since my husband was a professional entertainer for many years so much of our travel was business/pleasure, although we did not often have a chance to do the tourist thingy. The last time we went somewhere on business/pleasure was in 2005

The last time we had a "vacation" that was no a working vacation was December 14, 1998 when we went to Disneyworld. At one time, prior to Hurricane Rita, (I think it was 2003) we had spend a few long weekends in Holly Beach, Louisiana, but I would not classify them as vacations.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-10-2011, 02:44 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
Looks like I may be here for another two years. Mooseketeer, that means we might have to have a face-2-face!

Today, I'm driving down the Mosel, my favorite drive in the entire world. From Alken to Trier with its castles, great cities and Roman ruins.

Gotta run!

Old 07-10-2011, 07:15 AM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Last year in September 22 days & several countries in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel