U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 03:27 PM

12,351 posts, read 18,454,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
Dubai Terminal 3
Just be careful of what toilet you use. I wasn't overjoyed about using the "stradling a hole" method, stainless steal or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 04:36 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,798,262 times
I don't really have a favorite airport, but here are my criteria for airports that are tolerable:

1) Easy reach to/from downtown. Why they insisted on building airports thirty miles from where all the business is being conducted is beyond me.

2) Easy in/Easy out/Easy changing of planes.

3) A place where I can get a beer, a burger, and a newspaper.

4) Free Wi-Fi.

5) Good on-time record for arrivals/departures

6) Comfortable lounges

The ones that make that list for me are: Kansas City, Midway Chicago, Houston Hobby and Houston Bush, Birmingham, Kennedy, BWI and San Diego.

Now here are the things I just don't give a rip about, or just outright detest:

1) Shopping. In my twenty-odd years of air travel on business, I have bought precisely one article of clothing in an airport shop, and that was because I was returning from winter in the southern hemisphere last year, arrived in a hot summertime airport, and was desperate for something cool. So I bought the least-ugly golf shirt I could find (And golf shirts are pretty ugly).

2) Fine dining. Really?

3) Airports designed as if they were labyrinths. I've got 45 minutes to make my connection, and yet I've got to get on a tram or on a moving sidewalk from hell to get from terminal A to terminal D. Jeez.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:53 PM

9,030 posts, read 16,455,999 times
I also think a lot depends on what terminal you are in .... not all terminals are created equal ... personally, I love terminal 4 here in Phx ..... clean, modern looking, 4 different security points that can get you into the terminal ... enough options for food/drink/etc

While I love a lot of things about Denver - there are two things that really bug me .... the first is just how far it is out from both downtown & the tech center .... when I go in for business I have to account for so much extra travel time .... which leads me to the next thing, I absolutely hate the cattle call security clearance ..... i know you can avoid it a little by staying at the upper level, walking to a terminal and clearing there and then go down and take the train in the secure zone ..... i've never had a quick security experience with pretty much the entire airport clearing through the same area

I generally like the really small airports - I like to be able to return a car, check in, clear security and then grab a beer and a bite in as little time as possible

places like love field, john wayne, etc are about perfect for me

I also really like the nice terminal in philly

My local regional airport is by far my favorite though - elmira/corning - i think the biggest line i've been in at either check in or security is 5 people .... limited food/drink options once you clear ... but not an issue to have some drinks/food at their little restaurant and then clear security and go ... you can see the line and staff is attentive

Old 07-25-2011, 01:06 AM

328 posts, read 575,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Just be careful of what toilet you use. I wasn't overjoyed about using the "stradling a hole" method, stainless steal or not.
Haha, I steer clear of the Indian and Pakistani toilets. I do, however, wish that America public restrooms had those little water hoses on the side of their toilets like they do here.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:12 AM

4,486 posts, read 15,299,079 times
Best airport? Call me biased but my favorite is a little one in Mesa called Phoenix-Mesa Gateway with direct flights to only a few cities but cities I visit quite frequently served by Allegiant Air. Love it, very nice outdoor areas, not too big and love the surrounding area!

Best bigger airport? Hands down would have to be DFW or PHX Sky Harbor; both are efficient and clean and have a bunch of places to eat and shop.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:21 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,186,001 times
Orlando has a really nice looking airport. Cool little tram. It seems very efficient. A good airport model for a mid sized city.

-DFW looked clean and efficient last time I was there.

Has anyone been to asian airports, like singapore or those in china or japan, or hong kong?

Old 07-29-2011, 03:04 PM

8,608 posts, read 11,106,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post

Has anyone been to asian airports, like singapore or those in china or japan, or hong kong?
Hong Kong is fantastic, Narita (Tokyo) is nice, but getting a bit dated. Seoul is almost as nice as HK. Shanghai is beautiful and Manila is functional, but on the shabby side.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:41 PM

19,554 posts, read 17,801,505 times
Anchorage is real nice, friendly people and TSA agents and short lines, unless you need to pickup a rental car, then its too long of a walk to get one.

I hated Atlanta and Seattle.

San Antonio was pleasent both for arriving and departing.

Norfolk is also easy in and out.

My local airport is small so its naturally easy in and out but takes a while to get your bags.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:18 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,186,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Hong Kong is fantastic, Narita (Tokyo) is nice, but getting a bit dated. Seoul is almost as nice as HK. Shanghai is beautiful and Manila is functional, but on the shabby side.
How do they compare to the large american airports, on a scale of 1-10? I've read Beijing has the largest terminal in the world.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:53 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,664,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Orlando has a really nice looking airport. Cool little tram. It seems very efficient. A good airport model for a mid sized city.

-DFW looked clean and efficient last time I was there.

Several problems with MCO--the main Orlando airport.

1. The majority of the food and shopping is located outside of the sterile concourse. So once you're through security that's it.

2. Speaking of security, it's terrible in Orlando. Lines can be almost an hour long, many TSA are surly to the point that someday one of them is just going to get the snot kicked out of them by someone who is fed up with them while other passengers clap.

3. It can take well over 45 minutes for luggage to come off the plane and onto the carousel, and that's if there isn't a work stop due to lightning in the area. If that happens you can wait up to 90 minutes.

They could fix most of the problems by moving the security check points so that the sterile concourse included the shops and restaurants. The problem is the hotel entry is from the main terminal, so they would have to rework that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel