U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2011, 06:00 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,627,330 times
Reputation: 13019

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
You were fortunate that you flew into MCO during a non-peak period ... I think summer, Christmas time and Spring Break would be a different story.
Yes, the airport is busy during the peak holidays, but they all are. It doesn't matter whether you are at a large airport or a small one, holiday and spring break travel is going to make them feel packed. In my opinion JFK and DCA are the two most crowded feeling airports in the country.

The Orlando area draws in far more convention and business travelers by air then tourists. The Home and Garden Show and the Home Show bring in almost 50,000 people from all over the US between them over the space of two weekends. MegaCon is one weekend and brings in 30,000 people. Premiere Orlando is a weekend events and draws about 50,000 people.

And then there is the Daytona 500 which brings roughly 200,000 people into the area for a single weekend.

THOSE are the events that make the airport crazy--and they don't happen around holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2011, 02:28 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
2,884 posts, read 5,182,915 times
Reputation: 2731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
You were fortunate that you flew into MCO during a non-peak period ... I think summer, Christmas time and Spring Break would be a different story.
Orlando is a great place to go in january.

-It seems like the crowds are always light. Are there ever major conventions in jan or feb?

-Good weather.

-Pretty easy going in and out, no major delays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 06:26 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,627,330 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Orlando is a great place to go in january.

-It seems like the crowds are always light. Are there ever major conventions in jan or feb?

-Good weather.

-Pretty easy going in and out, no major delays.
There are a number of major events and conventions in January and February in Orlando.

The Disney Marathon is the first or second weekend in January. It attracts 100,000 attendees (55,000 runners), the majority are from out of the area.

The Disney Half Marathon attracts similar numbers and is held in late February.

The Daytona 500 brings in an estimated 200-250K people, also in late February.

The PGA Merch Convention is the last weekend in January, 50,000 people.

The Capital One Bowl (January 1) draws 60,000 people

The Surf Expo usually the second weekend in January brings in about 15,000 people

The Builders Show is the second week of February, 50,000 attendees

The list goes on, but you get the point--it's not as quiet in January and February than you think. We don't tell you about our best kept secrets like FMF, Fringe, Mt Dora Arts, and so much more.

By the way, your claim of "good weather" is obviously made by someone who doesn't live here. January is tornado month. And we had record cold this year with some days never getting out of the 40's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 04:13 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,894 posts, read 20,179,975 times
Reputation: 35922
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There are a number of major events and conventions in January and February in Orlando.

The Disney Marathon is the first or second weekend in January. It attracts 100,000 attendees (55,000 runners), the majority are from out of the area.

The Disney Half Marathon attracts similar numbers and is held in late February.

The Daytona 500 brings in an estimated 200-250K people, also in late February.

The PGA Merch Convention is the last weekend in January, 50,000 people.

The Capital One Bowl (January 1) draws 60,000 people

The Surf Expo usually the second weekend in January brings in about 15,000 people

The Builders Show is the second week of February, 50,000 attendees

The list goes on, but you get the point--it's not as quiet in January and February than you think. We don't tell you about our best kept secrets like FMF, Fringe, Mt Dora Arts, and so much more.

By the way, your claim of "good weather" is obviously made by someone who doesn't live here. January is tornado month. And we had record cold this year with some days never getting out of the 40's.
Orlando gets tornadoes in January? Yikes, I thought you guys only had to deal with the hurricanes, tropical storms and extreme heat/humidity during the latter part of the year. Geez ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 04:22 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,627,330 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Orlando gets tornadoes in January? Yikes, I thought you guys only had to deal with the hurricanes, tropical storms and extreme heat/humidity during the latter part of the year. Geez ...
Not only do we get tornadoes, but historically they cause far more deaths than hurricanes do in this area.

2007 Groundhog Day tornado outbreak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,550 posts, read 4,499,759 times
Reputation: 2487
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
JFK Airport, but I'm biased I lived near it for most of my life


LaGuardia is my least favorite...


Couldn't agree more. LaGuardia is awful at all hours of the day, but I'd prefer EWR over JFK even though it's the farthese from me. White Plains is the best though; kind of small, and they have a lot of destinations now (IAD, ORD, MCO, YYZ etc) so you can get to a lot of international destinations. Only problem with that is that its normally a lot higher then the 3 NYC airports are, and the connecting fee's if you're going overseas make it even pricier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 10:53 PM
 
Location: California
454 posts, read 602,227 times
Reputation: 982
Least fav is O'Hare... SO big and I always get lost

San Diego is smallish compared to a lot of others, but easy to navigate. Most definite favorite is Manchester NH... small, but everything - baggage claim, check in, rental cars - all really close to each other
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 05:56 AM
 
Location: Living near our Nation's Capitol since 2010
2,177 posts, read 2,917,998 times
Reputation: 5851
Singapore's airport is beautiful. Orchids everywhere, etc. Hong Kong is also quite nice and modern. You can see airline tails from all over the globe.

In the US, I like DCA (small and friendly), Providence is nice, Charlotte is nice too. I loathe PHL, MCO, PHX, and ORD. Too much walking, miserable TSA delays, etc. Guess we all have our favorites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2011, 05:46 AM
 
Location: Midwest transplant
2,013 posts, read 4,999,381 times
Reputation: 1570
DTW is easy to navigate~one long terminal and two little ones. Clean and bright. I do like Charlotte for changing planes, I've never had to deal with checking in, parking or ending a flight there. Chicago's O'Hell airport is a nightmare and has been for all of the years I've been flying. Midway is better if you can get your flights in/out of there. If possible and affordable, I'll use the local airports when flying~MDT, FNT, LAN, RSW~all have easy quick check in and fast baggage collection out of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 12:40 PM
 
677 posts, read 1,025,289 times
Reputation: 756
Being a million miler on a few airlines I have hit quite a few hubs. Some of my favorite airports were not necessarily the newest , largest or the cleanest. Maybe it was the experience I had there or people that I met at the bars but here is my list of favorites not in any particular order and will list them by city

Minneapolis
Boston
Atlanta (at night)
Cincinnati
Denver
Newark (especially at night)
Chicago
Rome
Paris
Sidney
San Francisco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top