U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2011, 10:38 PM

336 posts, read 952,383 times

Advertisements

Planning a trip to Washington DC (flying out of Sacramento) in mid September. Wondering how soon we should make airline reservations. I'd like to postpone for now to see if ticket costs decrease as fuel costs go down. But, want to balance that with seat availability too. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 11:15 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,603,810 times
I usually look at the price of oil and the price range of airline tickets in recent days and make the decision from there. Either that is a good method or I have been very lucky, because I have not once bought a ticket and found the price lower afterward. Most recent example: We bought tickets for our October trip to Kauai on June 2 when I thought the price of oil was tolerable. Less than 48 hours later, the price of the tickets went up 50%, and as of today, still much higher than what we paid five weeks ago.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:22 AM

3,160 posts, read 8,130,721 times
If you can figure out how to time airline ticket purchases, patent your method because you'll be able to make a fortune. The word "crapshoot" comes to mind!

Old 07-05-2011, 09:28 AM

253 posts, read 166,412 times
I've been told the best day to price tickets is on Wednesdays, I have no idea if that's true. I read an article recently that said the best time to BUY tickets is about 3-4 months before your departure date, apparently that's when the airlines lower their prices. Again, don't know if that's true. I will say that I'm going to Key West in November & have been pricing tickets for about 2 weeks & in that two weeks the price has fluctuated continuously. Right now it's on the low side, just last week it was only $160 & went up within HOURS to $256. Then, a couple days later it went up to $356. It's now down to $208. Go figure.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:18 AM

9,149 posts, read 17,295,824 times
Bing.com is working on tracking logic, Not sure how good it is, but works beween many city pairs. for the trend on the prices, but 8-12 week out seem to be the good timing from what i've found, Unless its a real hot destention for that time period, then you need watch out that the plane does not fill up, Alot depends on how Flexible you are on your dates/times.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:19 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,603,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
If you can figure out how to time airline ticket purchases, patent your method because you'll be able to make a fortune. The word "crapshoot" comes to mind!
That's exactly the reason I said I don't know whether the method was right or I have been very lucky.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:23 AM

336 posts, read 952,383 times
Thanks to all who responded. Decided to reserve flight and hotel today-about 10 weeks ahead of the trip. Incidentally, the cheap seats I'd had my eye on for a couple of months (Frontier Airlines), were no longer available. And the room rate previously quoted in Arlington was no longer available-increased about 2.5 times original quote. Perhaps earlier is better... A crapshoot indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or