Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 03:43 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times

Advertisements

in addition to the 311 rule ( max 3 oz containers in 1 ziploc bag) that goes in checked luggage, can i take more 3 oz containers(glucose gel tube for example) in my carry on as well? i think i have done this in the past but can't recall now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 04:01 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,688,401 times
The 311 rule only applies to carry on bags.

TSA | Transportation Security Administration | 3-1-1 on Air Travel

Old 07-17-2011, 04:16 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
in addition to the 311 rule ( max 3 oz containers in 1 ziploc bag) that goes in checked luggage, can i take more 3 oz containers(glucose gel tube for example) in my carry on as well? i think i have done this in the past but can't recall now
The 311 rule only applies to carry-on baggage ... If you need to transport larger liquids, you would have to check those .... You should be fine with the 3oz containers as long as they fit into the quart-sized ziplock baggie and you don't forget to remove it from the carry-on bag prior to security screening.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:24 PM

Default what i do

is pack away the max of 3 oz bottles in a zip loc bag in my carry on that goes in the overhead bin, but in my backpack (which is a personal item which fits under the seat and is also allowed) i keep hand sanitizer and glucose gel (both 3oz or less) but they're not in a ziploc. i don't think security has ever said anything

i like to have the sanitizer readily available in my backpack(like i have my rolaids, gum, tylenol, antinausea tabs, etc)

Old 07-17-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
is pack away the max of 3 oz bottles in a zip loc bag in my carry on that goes in the overhead bin, but in my backpack (which is a personal item which fits under the seat and is also allowed) i keep hand sanitizer and glucose gel (both 3oz or less) but they're not in a ziploc. i don't think security has ever said anything

i like to have the sanitizer readily available in my backpack(like i have my rolaids, gum, tylenol, antinausea tabs, etc)
This is what I do. When packing my carry-on luggage, I place any and all liquids (3oz or less) in a ziplock bag and bring it with me to the airport. When I am in the security line, I just pull out the ziplock bag and place it into the bin next to my carry-on bag. After leaving security, I place the ziplock bag of liquids back into my carry-on luggage. Since I like to keep my lipstick handy, I usually remove that from my ziplock bag AFTER security and place it back into my purse. Simple.

Note: If you forget to place your sanitizer into the ziplock bag, security will confiscate it. Save yourself the headache by placing any and all liquids into the quart-size ziplock baggie and keep it separate from your carry-on during security screening. After screening, just place the liquid items wherever you want them to go.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:59 PM

Default great idea!!

I think that's what i did in Atlanta awhile ago. sorry, when you get Diabetes your thoughts and memory aren't as sharp as they used to be!!

Old 07-17-2011, 05:55 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post

Note: If you forget to place your sanitizer into the ziplock bag, security will confiscate it. Save yourself the headache by placing any and all liquids into the quart-size ziplock baggie and keep it separate from your carry-on during security screening. After screening, just place the liquid items wherever you want them to go.
I travel 2-3 times per month and have never placed my sanitizer (bigger than the 3 oz. permitted) into a ziploc bag. It's always in my purse and I have never had an issue and we've been through airports in 48 states.

I also never use a ziploc bag for other toiletries and just put them in my personal case and again, never an issue with that. We just flew through EWR yesterday and security was more lax than I could have ever imagined. Given their recent issues, you'd think they'd step it up a bit! I got through without a question and not one liquid item in a ziploc. For the exception of my laptop, I never remove anything from my luggage and TSA has yet to say anything to me.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:10 PM

Default jeez

the zipper on my ziploc bag broke and i though they'd make an issue out of that!!

i always get patted down and felt up everywhere maybe i have a suspicious look to me

once i forgot to put my carry on through the conveyor(unfamiliar with flying lot) and the guy said "you, uh WERE GOING TO PUT THAT THOUGH THE CONVEYER WEREN"T YOU?!", then i was sent to be patted down. he apologized to me later but in a way i was glad he did that, i feel better when they're tough and rough in security

Old 07-17-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I travel 2-3 times per month and have never placed my sanitizer (bigger than the 3 oz. permitted) into a ziploc bag. It's always in my purse and I have never had an issue and we've been through airports in 48 states.

I also never use a ziploc bag for other toiletries and just put them in my personal case and again, never an issue with that. We just flew through EWR yesterday and security was more lax than I could have ever imagined. Given their recent issues, you'd think they'd step it up a bit! I got through without a question and not one liquid item in a ziploc. For the exception of my laptop, I never remove anything from my luggage and TSA has yet to say anything to me.
That's good that you haven't had any issues but I have personally seen items confiscated from other people in the security line and even had a can of soda (I meant to drink it prior to getting in line) confiscated from me. I guess you could risk it if they are so lax but considering the fact that the OP is diabetic, I doubt he wants to risk having his item confiscated before a long flight. The ziplock baggie isn't really a big deal and I have always sailed smoothly through security checks.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:46 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
FYI, you are NOT limited to a quart sized bag for your carry-on liquids. You can have it a storage sized bag if that is what is required for your needs like meds and other liquids that are 3oz or smaller. We travel often and when going thru security I have: 1 quart ziploc bag of items for my purse (small hand lotion, rescue inhaler, 1 small bottle of tylenol and other meds of such need all together). 1 large gallon sized ziploc bag for all of my meds and my daughers meds. 1 gallon or quart (depends on what is needed for length of trip) of hygiene items like shampoo, conditioner, etc. My makeup bag has my liquid foundation and has never been a problem and I've never put it in a ziploc bag nor pulled it out of my backpack.

All in all I could have THREE ziploc bags and sometimes larger than quart sized going thru security for my carry-on. Never once had one single problem and that is for domestic and international flights. I fly about once every other month if not more.

As for checked bags........... you can have a suitcase FULL of full sized bottles of liquids and they don't care. I still put all of those in ziplocs in case they blow open in flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel