U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 01:16 PM

9,123 posts, read 17,125,688 times

Advertisements

Maybe they should have looked into a charter 25K = about 100 people. Or gone with a different airline where carry on bags are included. I googled the fare for SW, would have been about $10-15 more each way (with out any group discounts). and the bags would be included inthe price, and would not be $5/10 all along the way on spirit (Soda, chips,...) . (and if the sprirt fight gets canceled how long is it going to take to get 100 seats on spirit 2-3 days). to get everyone there/home. Spirit will NOT rebook them onto other airlines, they will put them in any open seats on every flight out of LAX connection the 'InnerCity' teen all over the US. (alone and in small groups).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 01:21 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,157,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why do you think that someone should get a break based on their belief system?
They're religious, not special.

Nope.
The military doesn't get free baggage and they spend quite a bit more than $25k (per week); depending on movements, per day.

I thought you didn't like entitlements?
Or is it unless you like the group that's getting (or asking for) them.
Uh ... I was not talking about entitlements but a customer service type issue ... If an organization, regardless of beliefs, is spending 25,000 on airline tickets, wouldn't it be a good customer service policy to waive the carry on fees? This type of publicity is turning me off of the company and I would likely never opt to fly with them because of how they treated this organization. This was a dumb business move on their part and the publicity (along with the nonsense fees to begin with) will cause them to lose customers. Frankly, if I were to spend THAT much money on airline tickets for my group, I'd be pissed off with the nickel and diming practices of this airline! Hopefully you can look past your knee-jerk hatred of religion to see that this is a bad business move on this airline's part.

Regarding the military, I think they should be exempt on some of those fees as well ... At least they can fly up in first class on AA.

Last edited by Chatteress; 07-15-2011 at 01:34 PM..

Old 07-15-2011, 01:23 PM

3,644 posts, read 5,559,073 times
Spirit may be based in South Florida but they are a 3rd world company with a 3rd world mentality. I had the misfortune of flying on them twoce and I'll never do it again. They are the worst airline in the country and maybe the world. Avoid them like the plague.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
It's just like ebay - you have to consider all costs when calculating the items total purchase price. If the total price is less than competing airlines, and you base your purchase on PRICE ONLY, seems like it would be smart to make the choice to purchase a ticket. But don't be surprised when a company refuses to waive additional fees just because you didn't know about them.
Some people are inexperienced travelers and not realize that there are additional fees ... Since this particular airline is the only one that charges carry on fees, I could see how this fact got overlooked in the booking process.

I just flew to NYC and booked my flight with the cheapest airline fare I could find direct but I realized too late that I neglected to factor in the cost of checked baggage on Delta as Southwest spoiled me with their "2 checked bags free" policy ...

Old 07-15-2011, 01:44 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,816,280 times
Buyer beware.

Pretty careless of them to have spent that much money without doing a cost benefit analysis.
I do it for $500 purchases. I'd certainly do a CBA for $25k.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Buyer beware.

Pretty careless of them to have spent that much money without doing a cost benefit analysis.
I do it for $500 purchases. I'd certainly do a CBA for $25k.
I agree and I accept responsibility for not checking into Delta's checked baggage fees prior to booking. But ... How many airlines actually charge for carry-ons? Most of us here in the US assume that carry-on baggage is free as Spirit seems to be the only ones that charge for carry-ons so I can see how this "fee" could have been overlooked. Frankly, I'd never fly an airline that would tack on carry-on fees or charge you for printing your boarding pass! Their business model stinks frankly speaking!

Old 07-15-2011, 02:03 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,421,659 times
It's not exactly difficult .... they disclose that fares are subject to baggage fees

What baggage fees you may ask?!

These ones.........

Spirit Airlines - cheap tickets, cheap flights, discount airfare, cheap hotels, cheap car rentals, cheap travel

Nothing hidden here

I can see some companies trying to provide group discounts, charitable donations, etc .... but by no means should they be compelled to do so

Old 07-15-2011, 03:33 PM

253 posts, read 164,882 times
To be honest, I've never even heard of that airline & yes, it's unusual they charge for carry-ons but I guess they have to recoup costs somehow. I mean, if your airline ticket is such a great deal over other airlines then a carry-on fee wouldn't be that much of an annoyance to pay. I wonder why that group didn't go w/another airline? Did they just expect to be comped the baggage fees strictly based on how much they spent on the tickets?

Old 07-15-2011, 03:35 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,421,659 times
Not to mention they don't charge if it's a small bag that fits under your seat

Old 07-15-2011, 04:58 PM

12,289 posts, read 15,184,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Spirit may be based in South Florida but they are a 3rd world company with a 3rd world mentality. I had the misfortune of flying on them twoce and I'll never do it again. They are the worst airline in the country and maybe the world. Avoid them like the plague.
I flew Spirit and I'd do it again if the cost savings were substantial. I did without the carry on. The church group can ship it ahead if that is more economical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or