U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 03:03 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,827,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I agree and I accept responsibility for not checking into Delta's checked baggage fees prior to booking. But ... How many airlines actually charge for carry-ons? Most of us here in the US assume that carry-on baggage is free as Spirit seems to be the only ones that charge for carry-ons so I can see how this "fee" could have been overlooked. Frankly, I'd never fly an airline that would tack on carry-on fees or charge you for printing your boarding pass! Their business model stinks frankly speaking!
Sorry, I wasn't making the comment to you, but about the group.
We all have brain farts, but $25k is more than a fart.

I'd ask particulars if I were spending that kind of money... what exactly am I entitled to would be the first question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 07:45 PM

2,449 posts, read 4,435,870 times
People complain about high base fares and talk about how they wish there was a more a-la-carte option where they can pay for a cheaper ticket, then add on only the additional options that apply to them. It happens, and then they complain about being nickle and dimed to death...

Old 07-18-2011, 11:34 AM

3 posts, read 12,322 times
Quote:
Regarding the military, I think they should be exempt on some of those fees as well
So, you think that the government should be able to tell a private company what to charge and how to do business?

Old 07-18-2011, 12:12 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,859,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
People complain about high base fares and talk about how they wish there was a more a-la-carte option where they can pay for a cheaper ticket, then add on only the additional options that apply to them. It happens, and then they complain about being nickle and dimed to death...
So true,
SO TRUE!

Old 07-18-2011, 01:05 PM

2,370 posts, read 3,058,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why do you think that someone should get a break based on their belief system?
They're religious, not special.

Nope.
The military doesn't get free baggage and they spend quite a bit more than $25k (per week); depending on movements, per day.

I thought you didn't like entitlements?
Or is it unless you like the group that's getting (or asking for) them.
well said!

all of these churches have to pay little or no taxes and many get directly involved in politics which should cancel their tax free status but it never does. I don't have sympathy for someone who wants a special deal b/c of their group affiliation.

when you spend that much you really should do your homework. Playing the "inner city", "youth" and "religious" cards shouldn't work.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:33 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,188,748 times
The airline can charge whoever and for whatever it wants. This is America and in no way should a church group be more special then somebody else. People complain about Spirit a lot but then people complain about the fares of airlines. Spirit is one of the many airlines in this country each one does things differently.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:24 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,717,452 times
It is a business, not a charity organization. The next thing you know, disabled folks would want free transport for their wheelchairs and stuff...forget it. Give an inch, they will take a mile.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:35 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,391,076 times
They should have done their homework and budgetted accordingly. And if they were planning on spending $25k in tickets - they should have negotiated the cost of the carryon bags ahead of time.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:59 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,235,031 times
I have to agree with flyonpa and everyone who is on the side of spirit, I have flown with spirit and really enjoyed it. I travel extremely light, and even with the fee I paid with my ticket, it was still WAY cheaper than any other flight listed. Spirit does a good job for what they are, an airline that offers a cheap ticket and a good deal to people who are looking to travel light and not have the add-ons.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:26 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,166,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terriks View Post
So, you think that the government should be able to tell a private company what to charge and how to do business?
I never stated that the government should mandate airlines to waive fees for military & vets ... Just that the carrier should freely do that as a goodwill gesture for the men/women that have served our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or