Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 09:01 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,581,822 times

Advertisements

CHICAGO, July 12 (UPI) -- An Illinois church group raising money to send a group of inner-city teens for a choir tour in Los Angeles got no love on baggage fees from Spirit Airlines.

Spirit, the only airline that applies charges for carry-on bags and will soon start charging travelers $5 to print boarding passes, refused to waive any baggage fees for the teens from the Lighthouse Church of All Nations in Alsip, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Read more: Spirit waives baggage fees for no one - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 09:29 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
And why should they? You get super cheap airfare, they have to make money somewhere. Anyone who flys or can read/web search will find that Spirit make most of it money off every else other then airfare.

Im flying out next week, Should delta wave my bag fee?

http://www.spirit.com/policiesbags.aspx

Last edited by flyonpa; 07-14-2011 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: Was so hard to find....

Old 07-14-2011, 09:31 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,015,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
CHICAGO, July 12 (UPI) -- An Illinois church group raising money to send a group of inner-city teens for a choir tour in Los Angeles got no love on baggage fees from Spirit Airlines.

Spirit, the only airline that applies charges for carry-on bags and will soon start charging travelers $5 to print boarding passes, refused to waive any baggage fees for the teens from the Lighthouse Church of All Nations in Alsip, the Los Angeles Times reported.

That's one airline I am not planning to use in the near future .... Charging for carryons and for printing boarding passes?

Old 07-15-2011, 01:20 AM

339 posts, read 1,287,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
And why should they? You get super cheap airfare, they have to make money somewhere. Anyone who flys or can read/web search will find that Spirit make most of it money off every else other then airfare.

Im flying out next week, Should delta wave my bag fee?

Spirit Airlines - cheap tickets, cheap flights, discount airfare, cheap hotels, cheap car rentals, cheap travel
Are you nuts? You must be out of your mind:

The Rev. Dan Willis, the church's senior pastor, thought church fundraisers held in the last few months would cover the group's $25,000 in airline tickets, but when he realized there would be $6,000 more in baggage fees, he pleaded with Spirit for help. The Florida airline typically charges $38 for one bag and $45 for a second bag.
[LEFT]

The least the bastards could have done was wave the baggage fees or atleast offer slack. I've never paid to carry a check on bag and I usually carry 2 of them. They should have allowed that at least.

That airline sounds like the anti-Christ...

Old 07-15-2011, 06:16 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
What do bags have to do with christ? Its a fee the airline charges. Is Rev. Willis going complain that the bus they rented to take everyone to the airport is going to charge them? McD is charging them for the soda that they had to pay for when they bought a hamburger? Why because its a church should they not pay the fee?

Everyone else on the plane has to pay it.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:20 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,797,863 times
Spirit is notorious for its poor customer service. The last time I flew with them I had a ticket issue and after calling for hours had to go to the airport to get assistance. That was my fault because on a previous flight with them to the Caribbean - we had long lines to check in - standing outside in SFL heat for hours, poor service, a late flight and horrible customer service. I will NEVER fly Spirit again. If they are the only carrier going to a location - I wont be.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:31 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
It's just like ebay - you have to consider all costs when calculating the items total purchase price. If the total price is less than competing airlines, and you base your purchase on PRICE ONLY, seems like it would be smart to make the choice to purchase a ticket. But don't be surprised when a company refuses to waive additional fees just because you didn't know about them.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:51 PM

253 posts, read 201,819 times
I don't get it, why should a church group get preferential treatment? If everyone else has to pay the fee, they should too.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:02 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,015,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippinturtle View Post
I don't get it, why should a church group get preferential treatment? If everyone else has to pay the fee, they should too.
Even after they purchased $25,000 in airline tickets?

Old 07-15-2011, 01:12 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
Are you nuts? You must be out of your mind:

The Rev. Dan Willis, the church's senior pastor, thought church fundraisers held in the last few months would cover the group's $25,000 in airline tickets, but when he realized there would be $6,000 more in baggage fees, he pleaded with Spirit for help. The Florida airline typically charges $38 for one bag and $45 for a second bag.
[LEFT]

The least the bastards could have done was wave the baggage fees or atleast offer slack. I've never paid to carry a check on bag and I usually carry 2 of them. They should have allowed that at least.

That airline sounds like the anti-Christ...
Why do you think that someone should get a break based on their belief system?
They're religious, not special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Even after they purchased $25,000 in airline tickets?

Nope.
The military doesn't get free baggage and they spend quite a bit more than $25k (per week); depending on movements, per day.

I thought you didn't like entitlements?
Or is it unless you like the group that's getting (or asking for) them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel