U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 12:49 AM

339 posts, read 1,095,021 times

Advertisements

I'm just on my last nerve here. Since I first bought my car back in 2007 I was involved in 4 accidents. During that time up until last night I'd driven close to 100,000 miles.

1st time some idiot cut me off in South Florida, sent me into a pole. 2nd time someone T-boned me in Texas after running a stop-sign. 3rd time this past December someone dropped a refrigerator in the middle of the road in north Florida in which I hit at 75 mph with minor damage.

This straw that broke the camels back came in Washington state last night, where a semi rear ended me on the interstate and I was going about 70 mph, fish tailed and ended up crashing into the median and bashing my head against the glass. The only thing that stopped me from going into oncoming traffic was a center divide made of stakes and wires. I spun around for what seemed to be endlessly before coming to a halt. That's the last time that car will ever be on the road. It was confirmed: the semi drivers fault with several witnesses

I love road trips, and I pretty much have to travel as I do freelance assignments at this point thru the mountain west and was going to be going to Seattle for the first time. Road trips pay the bills and amount to a good 70% of my income and I have been traveling once a month since the year began.

But with as many accidents that have happened, not even being my fault I just wonder am I increasing my odds of dying here LOL. 2 of those accidents happened in the city and the other 2 were on the highway. But in less than 4 years that is very scary. That's 1 per year and it HAS been 1 per year. Except for 2008...that was a good year.

It's like I took drivers ed and passed with a B, took a speed course night school driving class, got a speeding ticket ONCE and took defensive driving last summer 2010...never caused an accident with another vehicle but people's stupidity just keeps on messing me up. I'm only 23. And I'm tired of it. Tired of people ruining my good car.

I still want to be able to do my monthly road trips, but I want to do it without being paranoid that some idiot is going to come plowing into me.

Last edited by CruisingUSA; 07-15-2011 at 12:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 03:01 AM

2,958 posts, read 11,355,283 times
An old Aggie joke from Texas:

Aggie reads that most vehicle accident happen within 5 miles of home--so he moves.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:00 AM

11,050 posts, read 6,199,969 times
Oh wow! You have had your share of accidents. Sorry to hear that. You mentioned that you are 23 and took Driver's Ed. Since many high schools don't teach it any more, it's hard for me to tell exactly when you started driving full time. I know some people start right away at 16 and others, where public transit is the mainstay, may not have a need to drive and only pick it up later in life, as an adult. I commend you for taking the defensive driver's course.

I started at 16 with Driver's Ed in high school and parents let my brother and I take turns driving on family vacations - NY to FL and back, of course. Navigated some icy and snow covered roads and bridges, dusk to dawn in busy traffic situations in major cities, mostly on the eastern U.S., some to TN, and OH area, and overseas in Naples, Italy (3 yrs). Driving about 37 years now. Luckily, I've only had a few fender benders, and some damage to the hood. Vehicle to vehicle and vehicle to deer, or in one instance deer to vehicle. I think the thing was being chased from the woods and ran into the right hand side of the car.

Maybe with any luck, your next 10 years or more will be accident-free.

To answer your question: There's so many factors that can cause an accident whether you're out driving for 30 mins or if you're out driving for hours.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:33 AM

14,253 posts, read 14,140,845 times
All I can say Cruising is to become the best driver you can.

Learn to expect the unexpected- I still get surprised by the antics of others.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:21 AM

1,756 posts, read 3,159,910 times
Im in my mid 30s and have been driving since the age of 17. I've only been in about 3 accidents my entire life and only 1 was actually partially MY fault (I switched lanes too fast and didn't give the van behind me enough time to brake and was rear-ended). All the other accidents were caused by idiotic drivers who were distracted, blew Stop signs or traffic lights, and were 100% to blame for causing the accident as noted in the Police Report.

It is unfortunate that you have had so many accidents in such a short period of time. You must have had a bout of bad luck there! In my opinion, road trips aren't really why people are getting into accidents. Most accidents happen within the 5 or 10 mile radius of your home and I've noticed that I see more instances of careless/reckless driving at odd hours (11 pm - 1 am on weekdays) instead of during the morning and evening rush hour (7-10 am; 5-7 pm). I've done road trips all over the Northeast region and I just exercise caution everywhere I go. I drive around 50-60 miles daily for my job and on weekends must drive longer distances to see clients in my part time job. I avoid speeding if possible, always look TWICE to the left and right at each intersection before crossing, and maintain a safe distance behind other cars. I don't see how difficult that is.

It is unfortunate that there are stupid drivers out there, many of them excitable 19 year old guys who just got their first Camaro and are eager to show off their aggressive 'Fast n Furious' moves on the local freeway, but those type of drivers can be easy to spot once you're on the road. You just switch lanes quickly and avoid them. As long as you anticipate stupid moves from other cars, you will be fine (in drivers ed, they suggest to anticipate the worst, ie if a car is tail-gating you at 70 mph, just keep going and wait until you can change lanes safely; if you approach a heavy intersection at a yellow light, don't blow through the section at 40 mph thinking you have enough time to cross before it turns red, etc). Simple precautionary measures help!!

Last edited by LegalDiva; 07-15-2011 at 08:31 AM..

Old 07-15-2011, 12:55 PM

253 posts, read 165,003 times
Your or your parents insurance must be thru the roof. I got into two accidents w/in 8 months of each other & my insurance went up to $120 PER MONTH. It's been 3 years since the last accident so the insurance has gone down but not as much as I'd like. I get the feeling I'm being scammed. Anyway, I see more idiot drivers on the road in the city than on longer road trips on the highway. Go for it & just be more of a defensive driver. I'll admit, it's exhausting constantly anticipating other people's next move (I just KNOW that guy in the middle lane is going to head into my lane w/out looking.....OHHHHH YEAH, I was right!!!!) but you'll cut down on accidents I swear.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:00 PM

12,299 posts, read 15,196,725 times
Most accidents occur close to home because that's where most of the driving is done. Actually per mile driving in unfamiliar circumstances is more dangerous.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:12 PM

2,247 posts, read 5,978,260 times
I've been driving since 2000, and I haven't gotten in an accident. I usually speed, since I'm always in a hurry, and I'm on the phone about 1/3 of the time. I guess I have just been lucky, and pay attention enough.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:31 PM

Location: I'm out searching for me... If you see me, let me know... ;--)
3,337 posts, read 1,833,673 times
Being in accidents that aren't your fault, four in a row would spook almost anyone. I remember a car that drove out in front of me when he was entering the highway... I just missed him but I did a u-turn and basically ended up facing the wrong way on the on-ramp... I was traveling for a living at that time and I was so spooked I had to spend the night at the next town.

You just have to practice defensive driving. Always expect the other car(s) to do the dumb thing. Don't tailgate, give plenty of space and pay close attention to what other cars are doing. That doesn't safe guard you 100% because you can't see some things coming.

You are very fortunate that you haven't been hurt horribly by the actions of these drivers. Plus, I have always looked at accidents and mishaps as a warning to watch out! Pay attention! Be defensive, drive carefully. Your accidents are a reminder not to take driving for granted or it's responsibility.

You have to get back out there. You can't just ignore your job. But always use caution as your guide. This is much easier said than done. But you have been given four gifts- accidents that tell you they can happen at any time.

That brings me to the truth about life. Even if you aren't in a car accident, many things can go wrong. Live life fully. None of us know how long we have.

Best wishes and safe driving.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:03 PM

339 posts, read 1,095,021 times
Thanks everyone for the replies. Although I probably won't stop doing road trips...I'll be extra careful when I see a semi doing anything stupid like trying to push the car in the passing lane off the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippinturtle View Post
Your or your parents insurance must be thru the roof. I got into two accidents w/in 8 months of each other & my insurance went up to $120 PER MONTH.
Actually no...because the time the guy t-boned me last year it wasn't my fault. They can't raise rates thru something that I am able to prove was not my fault. Not even partially my fault.

This time I'm not playing any games or letting the insurance company play any games with me like they did last year; denied my claim because it was a hit and run driver and I ended up paying everything out of pocket. I'm going after the truck company and the insurance company. I've gotten to the point now where everytime I see a semi truck pass by I remember how close I really felt to death.

There was no reason for her to do what she did and rear ending me like that. Why the hell would someone in a 18 wheeler switch lanes half a foot behind someone driving a little 4 door sedan.

I'm going after this as if I was dead. And now that I'm alive I'm going to collect every dime that's owed to me. And the driver who caused it hasn't called the insurance company yet nor is picking up the phone...I might even file a suit against her once I get my half just to make her life miserable since she wants to take her sweet ass time admitting she killed someone....but she probably thinks I'm dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or